Get well soon, Reed!

I just saw your FB post! My gosh!

Hope your painkillers kick in soon and you’re back to normal quickly.

6 Likes

Me, too…although I don’t know what happened. I enjoy your posts!

1 Like

Is it our longtime member, @RAyers?

I hope all is okay. His eventing-related posts are always interesting and educated.

5 Likes

Thank you all! Peanut and I had a bad crash in the jumpers two weeks ago. Peanut is fine! Scrapes on his face but totally sound.

Me…It is a different story but I am healing up and already taking Peanut out for hacks (at the walk). I have NEVER hit the ground that hard. The lesson here is WEAR YOUR HELMET!!! I have a Traumavoid EQ3. 8 broken ribs on my right side, separated AC joint in the shoulder on the right, partial hemothorax. NO concussion. I remember everything right up until I passed out because I couldn’t breathe and the pain. :man_facepalming:

Been off pain meds for a week now. Staying sore and hurting keeps me from doing stupid things. :grin:

But here we are a week after the crash. All is good with the boy.

27 Likes

This is the actual crash. Don’t watch if this stuff bothers you. Peanut caught the top rail of the last fence on course (a vertical) which tangled up in his front legs. It is an accident. 1/10 of a second or 4" and this wouldn’t exist. He warmed up beautifully and was jumping well.

3 Likes

UGH - ouch! 🫣

So sorry this happened! - you are a tough dude and will bounce back quickly, but take care of yourself! :heart:

1 Like

Dang, sorry to hear that. But my goodness you are back in the saddle quickly. Who knew scientists were so tough! :laughing:

Glad you are on the mend. Hemothorax is no joke.

5 Likes

I hate it when you hit that point of no return and you say to yourself, This is going to hurt."

Peanut is such a game horse. Healing vibes to you and your colleagues who must tolerate you on stall rest.

10 Likes

Ouch. That stinks.

Glad the horse is ok and you’re on the mend!

4 Likes

I need to show the youngsters that us oldsters are just as tough. :grin:

11 Likes

Yeah, I rode him right up to when the arena smacked me off him. :wink:

9 Likes

Peanut looked fab up until that last fence.

Big big ouch! So happy the helmet did its job and you have only a few broken bits and pieces.
Give Peanut a treat from his online friends, he tried hard for you. Such a good egg. Glad he managed to stay in one piece with only a few scrapes.

9 Likes

Whoever was the voice on that vid summed it up :astonished:
Wishing you a Speedy Recovery!
IIRC, you (like me) are of a certain age, where SPLAT best describes any unintended dismount :frowning:

3 Likes

Jingles for a fast recovery! Peanut is lovely BTW.

2 Likes

Reed, that looks like a horribly painful fall. Wow. Glad you and Peanut are (relatively) ok.

I broke 4 ribs last year in hockey. Give yourself lots of time to heal. I was back in the saddle within a week but it wasn’t pain free. Even lifting my arm to adjust the laser measuring tool we use on site visits almost took me out in the beginning. I had to learn to listen to my body or else.

Looks like Peanut tried very hard to not roll over you, too. Good boy. Give him some treats from us if you are able.

It’s such an eventer thing to have the video and post it. We’re a special breed. :joy: I am sure you have sat there and analyzed this video over and over. What do you think?

6 Likes

Reed,

PLEASE give your body time to heal. As we get older the healing just does not work as fast.

You are one tough guy!

1 Like

Thank you.

Yes, I have analyzed the video like it was the Zapruder film. You can see his right leg was just a hair slow coming off the ground so it trailed the left and took the rail while the left had cleared.

Yes, everything hurts, but like I said, it keeps me from doing stupid things. Because of my shoulder I have 0 capability to really lift anything, which lead me to utter words I never thought I would, “HELP! I can’t get off my horse!!”

10 Likes

Hope that shoulder & hemothorax heals up soon too. That was not a light fall. The arena should have known better than to come between you and the horse. SMH.

2 Likes

I asked my trainer if anybody found my shoulder embedded in the ring, could they send it to me?

9 Likes

Your sense of humor about this has me laughing. Horse people are amazing!

Hope you feel better soon - I saw the FB post and gasped!

2 Likes