Unlimited access >

Getting a port tomorrow

So happy it went well and is now over.

3 Likes

I’m sorry you are dealing with this, but I’m glad it went well!

3 Likes

Good luck and an easy recovery tomorrow.

3 Likes

I am behind the times. I am glad the procedure was easy.

3 Likes

So glad for you. Some of us may be in your shoes someday and will need your guidance.

3 Likes

I just saw this thread and I would’ve totally encouraged you getting the port-o-cath. I finally got one for my IVIG, too, because it got to be torture for the home nurse to find a decent vein.

I’m glad the procedure went well and I’m sure you’ll be less stressed with upcoming infusions. :heart:

3 Likes

So glad everything went well. That should really help.

1 Like

Yay! So happy to hear this. Take a deep breath now and get a good night’s sleep. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

It’s got to be stressful for the nurses trying and failing to start the IV. I’ve been stuck five times for one line. I seem to have one mostly reliable site which they used yesterday and I laughed when the nurse got it on the first try.
By the end of the day we should have held a retirement ceremony for that site.

Next month will mark 3 years since this whole mess started and its only since Christmas that I have felt reasonably well. It’s still going to take work to get to a level of (un)fitness to be able to ride again.

5 Likes

The port wont replace all draws. When I get bloodwork, they dont use the port. Only for infusions since not all are capable of using the port.

1 Like

Darn, I didn’t know that. However I have veins in my hands that are good for blood draws but not IV catheters

Yes, because not only can most labs not access the port, but there’s (usually) heparin in there to keep the port patent, which screws up some bloodwork.

As an aside, one lab (at USC, no less) did draw from my port for pre-op. Because of the heparin, it came back that I had a horrible clotting issue. So they wanted to halt the surgery for fear I was some kind of hemophiliac. Fortunately, my doctor came in and chastised the numbskull who used the port for the blood draw.

Anyway… I’m happy for you, @Graymaresrule, and I’m sending you good vibes that you’ll be able to “horse around” soon!

4 Likes

Accessing a port requires skills that only some nurses have. Phlebotomists dont usually.
I was in the hospital, required blood draws twice a day. They finally gave up trying veins on day 2 and had someone come in to access the port. They were able to do blood draws, but only after saline flushes not heparin and discarding a tube. It was kept accessed until i was discharged.

1 Like

For the most part I get my blood drawn at UVA hospital usually when I get my IVIG so I hope the staff there knows how to access the port. They’re the ones who suggested it.

I’ve got decent veins for blood draws In my hands but they are not reliable or straight enough for an IV catheter

2 Likes

Wow! That’s great news! I love “pleasant “ surprises like that :blush:

2 Likes

Not to hijack your thread but…

I just got diagnosed with breast cancer, and since it’s in the lymph nodes, once we get all of my full body testing done (MRI/PET scans) the dr wants to do chemo before surgery… which means… a port.

While I’m pretty unperturbed about most things, I’m oddly nervous about this, especially once I discovered where it goes internally. (into my heart?? What???)

So I was just wondering what the experience of getting it put in and having it was/is like…

5 Likes

I hope all is well. You have been so strong through all of this grueling medical stuff.

2 Likes

Very sorry you are dealing with that. I hope all goes well with your treatment.

2 Likes

I was nervous as well. The previous minor procedure had me spending two nights in the hospital and needing supplemental oxygen. Luckily I don’t remember the worst of it un sating on 8 l oxygen.

This really was easy though. I’m getting the port because my veins had been harder and harder to access so the nurse got a vein on the first try.

The drugs worked. I don’t remember much except when I had to cough and didn’t even feel the initial local. It involves two small incisions and yes the catheter goes almost into the right atrium.
They take an x ray to verify the placement.

I ate lunch and got my monthly infusion which I pretty much slept through.

Good luck with your treatment. I have CLL which they manage but don’t try to cure. It probably won’t kill me.

3 Likes

First, best wishes on your treatment!
I wanted the surgery first - get it out, now!! - so i had a mastectomy and DIEP flap before chemo. Port put in 1 month post surgery. It wasnt fun, but it had to be done. I still have one almost 20 years later.
I had two breaks and replacements. Noticed during flush - broken pieces did not migrate. Charge nurse was kind of nonchalant about it - cool, I can make a bubble up here in your neck when i access the port. Went immediately into interventional radiology for replacement.
I tend to avoid the area - a bit creepy feeling this thing under the skin, but a necessary evil.

2 Likes