Unlimited access >

Getting back in the saddle

Hi, I am pretty sure there are other threads similar to this, but I have not been able to find quite what I am looking for. Basically, I am starting to ride after a substantial break. When I was young I rode competitively, trained horses, taught lessons, until I was in a major car accident at 20. At that time, I had to sell my horse and leave my barn, and it took me a few years to heal. Once I was able to ride again, I would find opportunities to work green horses for people, and trail ride, but no training or shows.

I ended up working on a ranch in Colorao guiding trail rides for customers for about 4 years. I drove a team of Belgians with a wagon in the summer and a sleigh in the winter. This was all in western saddles though. So while I was spending 40+ hours a week in the saddle, it was nothing like riding in the Hunter ring. Then I had a baby, and now for the past 5 years I have been battling a fierce Lyme infection and have spent most of those 5 years in bed.

I am finally healthy enough to start riding, and have committed to half ownership of a lovely Thoroughbred in a very low key, self care barn near my home. I have dusted off my English saddle, and while there is not a trainer there to take lessons from, I am considering hiring someone to come give me a few lessons. I figure at least they could help get my body back in the right position again. My legs are all over the place, and I have no rythem at all!

Now that I have thoroughly bored you with my life story, I can get on with my question! I am feeling so out of sorts in my saddle. I am solid in the western saddle, but I feel like a fool in my English one. For those of you that started riding again after a substantial break, how did you feel at first? How long did it take for you to feel comfortable again? I am 39, and very weak from being so sick, so I don’t expect to snap my fingers and be able to ride like I did at 19, but I am curious what I might be able to expect, or even if I am just not alone. My horse has issues of her own, and has had training at some point in her life, but she is definitely rusty and will need to be brought back alongside myself. Any tips, encouragement, comraderrie?? Thanks in advance!!

[QUOTE=searching4truth;8391316]
Hi, I am pretty sure there are other threads similar to this, but I have not been able to find quite what I am looking for. Basically, I am starting to ride after a substantial break. When I was young I rode competitively, trained horses, taught lessons, until I was in a major car accident at 20. At that time, I had to sell my horse and leave my barn, and it took me a few years to heal. Once I was able to ride again, I would find opportunities to work green horses for people, and trail ride, but no training or shows.

I ended up working on a ranch in Colorao guiding trail rides for customers for about 4 years. I drove a team of Belgians with a wagon in the summer and a sleigh in the winter. This was all in western saddles though. So while I was spending 40+ hours a week in the saddle, it was nothing like riding in the Hunter ring. Then I had a baby, and now for the past 5 years I have been battling a fierce Lyme infection and have spent most of those 5 years in bed.

I am finally healthy enough to start riding, and have committed to half ownership of a lovely Thoroughbred in a very low key, self care barn near my home. I have dusted off my English saddle, and while there is not a trainer there to take lessons from, I am considering hiring someone to come give me a few lessons. I figure at least they could help get my body back in the right position again. My legs are all over the place, and I have no rythem at all!

Now that I have thoroughly bored you with my life story, I can get on with my question! I am feeling so out of sorts in my saddle. I am solid in the western saddle, but I feel like a fool in my English one. For those of you that started riding again after a substantial break, how did you feel at first? How long did it take for you to feel comfortable again? I am 39, and very weak from being so sick, so I don’t expect to snap my fingers and be able to ride like I did at 19, but I am curious what I might be able to expect, or even if I am just not alone. My horse has issues of her own, and has had training at some point in her life, but she is definitely rusty and will need to be brought back alongside myself. Any tips, encouragement, comraderrie?? Thanks in advance!![/QUOTE]

In your search of other threads did you find this one?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?322151-Can-we-have-an-adult-re-rider-support-group

come join us re-riders! We feel all of your pain and it’s a wonderful supportive group!

Rescuer- I did see that thread, and read quite a few pages, but everything that I read was from people who are already showing again or have been riding for a year already. I didn’t really find the answers I am looking for. Thank you for the link though. I will keep reading- I didn’t realize there are over 500 pages to that thread!

Bitsa- thank you!

[QUOTE=searching4truth;8391549]
Rescuer- I did see that thread, and read quite a few pages, but everything that I read was from people who are already showing again or have been riding for a year already. I didn’t really find the answers I am looking for. Thank you for the link though. I will keep reading- I didn’t realize there are over 500 pages to that thread!

Bitsa- thank you![/QUOTE]

Just chime in – we don’t expect people to read all 500 pages! Some people show, some don’t. Some ride daily, some 1 x a week – seriously, its a wonderful encouraging group, both for horsey and non-horsey issues we re-riders face in life!