Getting Back into Shape After Injury

Hey everyone,
I would love to hear all advice about getting back into riding shape after an injury. Around 2 months ago, I herniated a disk in my back and have lost a lot of muscle and endurance. And to preface, I am attending PT and have been cleared to ride and work out again, just have to take it a day at a time.

Start off easy. Maybe your therapist can get you started on what is safe to do and get a routine started you can do on your own at home? Sadly we loose condition much faster than we build it.

Following!

I herniated two discs a few years ago. In addition to PT, I did yoga 3x weekly with a really great teacher who showed me how to modify every pose using a chair to support my upper body. I also did spinal decompression to take the pressure off the ruptured discs.

For riding, I started with just 5-10 mins of walking at the end of my trainer’s ride on my horse, then progressed to a little posting trot. I progressed to handling the entire cool-down, then added a little work, etc.

I shattered my leg a year ago. Still not back into shape, and in chronic low-grade pain. PT for a while, but now I’m on my own - doctor recommended low impact exercise such as swimming - I’m terrified of water. So I got a stationary bike (boring, but it helps). Look at some time with a personal trainer - Yoga or Pilates?