Unlimited access >

Gloria Austin

It is with a heavy heart that I pass along the news that Gloria Austin passed away yesterday (April 16th).

An icon of a horsewoman, four in hand driver, coachman and steward of historic carriages. She and her expertise will be missed.

I do not know any more details other than her passing. I would assume funeral arrangements are being made in Weirsdale Fl.

3 Likes

That was very sad news to hear. She certainly “knew everything” about Pleasure carriage driving and could “do the deed” with any arrangement of hitched horses! We visited her Museum and were astounded at the variety of vehicles, both American and fabulous European carriages. Restored properly, with the various proper accessories that would have been carried during travel or for amazing the passers-by. I never saw so many types of beautiful leather spare wheel cases, I think she cornered the market! Never heard of Americans carrying a spare wheel, so it was a surprise to me with the European vehicles. We had a terrific time visiting there.

She was pretty amazing, a very gracious person in real life.

2 Likes

I hope to visit the museum some day.

Driving has lost a great historian.

2 Likes

Via the Equine Heritage institute’s FB page

Join us in honoring the beautiful life of Gloria Austin 🌹

We invite all friends and loved ones to a memorial service at Gloria’s house this Saturday, April 20th, at 5:30 PM. Let’s come together to celebrate the memories we shared with Gloria and support each other during this time.

In the spirit of togetherness, please bring a dish to pass, just like our cherished bonfire gatherings. Let’s fill the space with not only our fond memories but also with the warmth of shared meals and love.

As space is limited, please RSVP at your earliest convenience to ensure we can accommodate everyone who wishes to attend.

Let’s honor Gloria’s life and the impact she had on all of us. We look forward to seeing you there.

3 Likes

unfortunately the museum no longer exists. She sold off the collection several years ago so the space could be better used from a business perspective. I’m not far from there so visited a couple times. It was amazing to see the range of vehicles, but the one that caught my eye was a lovely refurbished runabout that had been owned by a barnmate of mine back in the early 90’s. I met Gloria back in those days; she was running a boarding facility and breeding mini’s!

1 Like

I’m ignorant on driving topics but was this dear departed person originally from my area, western NY?

Not sure. She would probably have a history, residences where she lived or had homes if you looked her up. She became very visible in the Driving World about 25-30 years ago with her driving and carriages displayed at the bigger activities. She wrote books, set up her Museum, put on amazing driving venues at her facilities, was visible in the driving magazines over the years.

Yes, she was in Rochester for quite a long time (see my earlier post) and then relocated to Florida but I’m not sure when. She had her property and carriage museum when I relocated down here in around 2010. There used to be a BIG driving show in Rochester (Walnut Hill) and I would see her there, though she was not driving at the time, that I remember - maybe the minis…I last showed there in '93, just before moving out of state. When she did take up driving, it was all in, pairs, 4-in-hands, lovely vehicles etc.

Thank you. That explains why her name is familiar. You her friends miss her, and we all miss Walnut Hill. Both gone but not forgotten!

1 Like

She sold the Grand Oaks to her first husband. He then changed the name from Continental Acres to Grand Oaks. He then put the bistro in, changed up the scope and scale of property while maintaining Gloria’s vision.

I do not know if the carriage collection went with the sale of the resort or if she sold that off seperatly. I believe she kept a small collection on her property (which was subdivided out of The Grand Oaks) and she establised the Equine Heritage Institute on her property.

I moved to Ocala to work for a Four in Hand club member in 2001 and Gloria had already been settled in Weirsdale.

I dont know for sure, but believe she sold the collection separately. Her ex is a good businessman but likely knew close to zero about carriages. I have a recollection of some “advertising” and this was also circulated: https://www.gloriaaustin.com/sales/carriageportfolio1.pdf
His idea was an antique car museum, that didn’t do so well either. I went to many dressage shows up there, what a beautiful property. My horse really liked it - we would do a quiet hack after his tests, wherever he wanted to go.