Unlimited access >

Glucosamine and Seizures

It looks like it’s been a while since this topic has come up. Unfortunately, while the Glucosamine was definitely helping my old dog, it seems I can attribute the new mini seizures to it. No more supplements for him.

https://wildearth.com/blogs/dog-knowledge/glucosamine-for-dogs#:~:text=on%20in%20life.-,Many%20veterinarians%20do%20not%20recommend%20Glucosamine%20supplements%20if%20your%20dog,supplement%20uses%20vegan-safe%20ingredients.

It’s possible but it seems pretty rare. Does your dog have a shellfish allergy?

You might want to consider the vegan glucosamine.

I’ve got a little background in science. The seizures started after beginning the Glucosamine. They seem to have stopped now I’ve stopped giving him the doses. He’s definitely sleeping better. I’ve never given him shellfish, so I don’t know about allergies.
Can you recommend a vegan glucosamine? Could I buy it at a health food store and just dose according to weight?

I don’t have a recommendation but when I look it seems like you’re likely to find vegetarian options but not vegan. My mom can’t take it because she’s allergic to shellfish, and she has to be careful about calcium as well, as it can be sourced from shellfish too.

Does your dog have a history of seizures/epilepsy or is this the first instance?

1 Like

This is the brand I take. It says vegetarian - vegan.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-vegetarian-glucosamine-1000-90-veg-capsules/11766

1 Like

He doesn’t. Since the only thing that changed in his life was the introduction of glucosamine, that prompted me to do a little research and immediately find the possible links. He’s eaten fish and never had any problems, but I’ve never fed him shellfish. The lack of any indication of a seizure since taking him off the glucosamine tells me I’m on the right track.
Thanks @Christa_P for that link!

Well, the vegetarian glucosamine didn’t work either. He was on it for two days and had a couple BAD seizures. I thought he was dying. Off everything right now for almost a week, and hasn’t had a problem.