Unlimited access >

"Goes barefoot"

Except for the horrific situations produced by jackwagon “farriers” who have no business putting a nail in a wall to hang a picture, let alone a hoof.

I’ve got 2 in the barn that have NEVER worn shoes - feet like iron. My now deceased mare was famous among farriers as the horse with the worst feet ever. A self proclaimed farrier (husband of the woman who owned the mare) decided her feet were too small for her body and proceeded to “stretch” the hoof over a period of years, literally destroying the hoof and ultimately creating founder. The hoof was so damaged the mare couldn’t stand w/o shoes. Her back feet were beautiful and perfect; the fronts, never right.

We shoe who needs it for a variety of reasons; trim the others who can go without shoes. I will always go barefoot first but I see where Wirt is coming from in the “craze” statements. We have a Barefoot Nazi in our community who is just irrational. She thinks EVERY SINGLE HORSE DRAWING BREATH can go barefoot because it’s the natural thing to do. The list of what’s natural about most horses and horse care today is far shorter than the list of what’s not natural. And a lot of that is necessity and not necessarily bad, either. My horses seem to appreciate access to their run in sheds…not something natural. :wink:

[QUOTE=JB;7250588]
Some absolutely do, and you sort of threw yourself into that category when you said “just put shoes on and be done with it”, without even considering reasons why the horse is sore. Now, maybe you were thinking that and really only meant to put shoes on to protect the feet while the reasons for potential soreness are addressed, but that didn’t come across.

In the ideal world it’s not, but the fact is, some horses feet are a problem their whole lives and require diligent, careful management

Shoes ARE sometimes need to fix something, even if only temporarily.

Done poorly, shoes can absolutely cause problem feet

Yep, absolutely part of the equation. But so is poor diet, poor movement, and poor management as a young horse with growing feet (to include poor trimming, poor diet, poor movement, poor terrain

Agreed, but the underlying issues have to be determined and corrected, if possible. Putting shoes on a bad trim isn’t going to fix anything

That doesn’t make sense. Why go with a simple snaffle if you can go in a double bridle? Why go to more complicated without even seeing if more simple will get the job done just as well?[/QUOTE]

Your snaffle analogy does not apply. That is a training stage issue. There is nothing complicated about shoeing. It is simple. If you understand the skills involved. You cannot base an argument on the merits or demerits of shoeing based on the existence of poor shoeing.
The original poster did not say her horse was sore or there was anything wrong or a problem. She was just told she could go barefoot. The horses feet were cracking and chipping. There is no reason evident not to shoe that horse. That is why I said what I said. She will have less problems by shoeing the horse. She can ride it, not worry about chipping, or cracking or getting sore. Get on with it.
Many horses are “going barefoot” because it is more about making the owner feel good, than doing the horse any good.

it does apply.

Your comment about “who go barefoot if you don’t have to” is starting off with something you don’t necessarily need. Just like going to a bigger bit - you don’t KNOW you need it, if you even do, because you don’t give the simpler snaffle a try.

There is nothing complicated about shoeing. It is simple. If you understand the skills involved. You cannot base an argument on the merits or demerits of shoeing based on the existence of poor shoeing.

I am not basing anything on anything. You stated “Problem feet in horses were not created by shoeing them” and as a statement, that is not the whole truth. Problem feet HAVE been created by improperly shoeing them.

Simple shoes on good feet isn’t rocket science. But at some level it does indeed take a good bit of skill and experience to not only trim the pathological foot in your hand, but to apply the right type of shoe and apply it correctly - not so simple.

The original poster did not say her horse was sore or there was anything wrong or a problem. She was just told she could go barefoot. The horses feet were cracking and chipping. There is no reason evident not to shoe that horse. That is why I said what I said. She will have less problems by shoeing the horse. She can ride it, not worry about chipping, or cracking or getting sore. Get on with it.

But there’s not reason (yet) TO shoe the horse - that is all I am saying. You aren’t even giving the horse or owner a chance, just saying “put shoes on and get on with it”. You don’t know what the feet look like. If they look like crap, and that’s the reason they are chipping and cracking, then shoes aren’t going to fix that.

Many horses are “going barefoot” because it is more about making the owner feel good, than doing the horse any good.

I certainly don’t disagree that too many people keep their horses barefoot out of principle and some desire to “be natural”, without looking at the issues. But the antidote to that isn’t to just put shoes on and be done with it.

What needs to be done is what needs to be done for the sake of the horse, not the person. If that needs to be shoes, then so be it. But there’s no reason to jump to shoes without even asking the horse if he needs them.

How many are many? Is it just one of those words? My horse goes barefoot because he has great feet that don’t need shoes. I see shoes as something you do to fix a thing. Like improved traction, support during some kind of work, protection from hard ground, etc. Fella’s feet don’t need fixing. As I said, this is my default setting. Give me a horse and I’ll see how he goes barefoot. If he needs fixing we’ll look at shoeing options as needed.

Paula

[QUOTE=JB;7250644]
it does apply.

Your comment about “who go barefoot if you don’t have to” is starting off with something you don’t necessarily need. Just like going to a bigger bit - you don’t KNOW you need it, if you even do, because you don’t give the simpler snaffle a try.

I am not basing anything on anything. You stated “Problem feet in horses were not created by shoeing them” and as a statement, that is not the whole truth. Problem feet HAVE been created by improperly shoeing them.

Simple shoes on good feet isn’t rocket science. But at some level it does indeed take a good bit of skill and experience to not only trim the pathological foot in your hand, but to apply the right type of shoe and apply it correctly - not so simple.

But there’s not reason (yet) TO shoe the horse - that is all I am saying. You aren’t even giving the horse or owner a chance, just saying “put shoes on and get on with it”. You don’t know what the feet look like. If they look like crap, and that’s the reason they are chipping and cracking, then shoes aren’t going to fix that.

I certainly don’t disagree that too many people keep their horses barefoot out of principle and some desire to “be natural”, without looking at the issues. But the antidote to that isn’t to just put shoes on and be done with it.

What needs to be done is what needs to be done for the sake of the horse, not the person. If that needs to be shoes, then so be it. But there’s no reason to jump to shoes without even asking the horse if he needs them.[/QUOTE]

There is a very good reason to shoe it. Shoeing the horse will not harm it! It won’t split and chip or get sore. She can concentrate on the riding she wants to do, and not worry about whether she can ride that day or not depending on if its rocky or not, or what kind of boots to put on that day.
Speaking of boots, you go through and pay for a very special trim, only to cover the thing up with a boot that can be nothing like the shape of that horses foot.
Some people have horses so they can ride them. They learn to care for the horse so they can ride them. Other people have horses so they can care for them. That is their use. Riding becomes secondary. If I need a horse, I don’t want to be grounded and on foot. A boot might get me back home. But I ride horses with good feet and legs. I choose horses with good feet. And I have quality shoeing.
If bad shoeing created a problem, then good shoeing will fix it.
Sorry, but this barefoot thing obviously drives me nuts. The proponents of it are definitely giving people who don’t know anything the impression that shoeing is bad for their horse. Bad shoeing is bad. Bad training is bad. Training is not bad. shoeing is not bad.
I need a drink.

RE: Shoeing the horse will not harm it!

Yeah I’m not sure I believe that at all. I do not think shoeing is the best for horses or doesn’t harm horses. I do believe that given other situations one weighs risk and return and the risk of shoeing may be worth the return (because the horse has crap feet, tender feet, needs support, etc. as mentioned previously). I do not, all things being equal, consider shoeing harmless.

Paula

[QUOTE=Wirt;7250669]
There is a very good reason to shoe it. Shoeing the horse will not harm it![/QUOTE]
Proper shoeing won’t harm a foot that needs shoes. Proper shoeing probably won’t harm a foot or horse who doesn’t need them. While not the norm, or at least not common, there are horses who move better without shoes. So, maybe the shoes aren’t harming the feet directly, but they are harming that particular horse’s body, which will end up harming the feet

It won’t split and chip or get sore.

Not necessarily true. I’ve seen far, far too many shod feet that are breaking up and the horse is not sound due to sore feet.

Note: I’m not saying the shoes actively did that - other things caused it, shoes exacerbated it, but to say “shod feet don’t chip or get sore” is not a true statement.

She can concentrate on the riding she wants to do, and not worry about whether she can ride that day or not depending on if its rocky or not, or what kind of boots to put on that day.

Not if the trim is a problem and it’s not addressed - that is my WHOLE point

Speaking of boots, you go through and pay for a very special trim,

Special trim? What’s so special about trimming a foot properly? Why is a bare foot given a “special trim”? That implies a shoe is not.

only to cover the thing up with a boot that can be nothing like the shape of that horses foot.

Have you SEEN the “special” trims that shod feet get and then “covered” up with a shoe that is nothing like the shape of that foot?

Some people have horses so they can ride them. They learn to care for the horse so they can ride them. Other people have horses so they can care for them. That is their use. Riding becomes secondary. If I need a horse, I don’t want to be grounded and on foot. A boot might get me back home. But I ride horses with good feet and legs. I choose horses with good feet. And I have quality shoeing.

And…?

If bad shoeing created a problem, then good shoeing will fix it.

Not if the trim isn’t good. Shoes themselves neither create problems nor fix them.

Sorry, but this barefoot thing obviously drives me nuts. The proponents of it are definitely giving people who don’t know anything the impression that shoeing is bad for their horse. Bad shoeing is bad. Bad training is bad. Training is not bad. shoeing is not bad.
I need a drink.

I am a proponent of bare hooves. I am NOT against shoeing. But I’m also not one who likes to see “more” be the default, when “less” isn’t given a chance.

[QUOTE=JB;7250701]
Proper shoeing won’t harm a foot that needs shoes. Proper shoeing probably won’t harm a foot or horse who doesn’t need them. While not the norm, or at least not common, there are horses who move better without shoes. So, maybe the shoes aren’t harming the feet directly, but they are harming that particular horse’s body, which will end up harming the feet

Not necessarily true. I’ve seen far, far too many shod feet that are breaking up and the horse is not sound due to sore feet.

Note: I’m not saying the shoes actively did that - other things caused it, shoes exacerbated it, but to say “shod feet don’t chip or get sore” is not a true statement.

Not if the trim is a problem and it’s not addressed - that is my WHOLE point

Special trim? What’s so special about trimming a foot properly? Why is a bare foot given a “special trim”? That implies a shoe is not.

Have you SEEN the “special” trims that shod feet get and then “covered” up with a shoe that is nothing like the shape of that foot?

And…?

Not if the trim isn’t good. Shoes themselves neither create problems nor fix them.

I am a proponent of bare hooves. I am NOT against shoeing. But I’m also not one who likes to see “more” be the default, when “less” isn’t given a chance.[/QUOTE]

I said special trim, because the inference is that only a “barefoot trimmer” can trim a horse correctly, and a shoer doesn’t know how to trim for bare feet. You are the one who implies that. Its the trim its the trim its the trim, is your mantra. I see, a farrier wouldn’t know that, I guess. It as if a farrier doesn’t know anything, really. In fact, the entire argument you have is based on poor shoeing,not good shoeing. Doesn’t matter how many shoes don’t fit the trim, that is not good shoeing. A so called barefoot trimmer is not a farrier. In fact, most wouldn’t know good shoeing if it bit them in the ass. You have no idea how serious good farriers are about hoof care, and correct shoeing to help a horse. But you believe most farriers know nothing about trimming, and convince people not to have a farrier trim their horse. You want to base your passion to have most horse go barefoot based on a minority of horses that you think travel better without shoes, or do okay barefoot, because they don’t get ridden that often. I don’t understand the barefoot agenda. I don’t buy it. You are against shoeing, you just cannot admit it. You encourage people to go barefoot. You convince people who don’t know anything that they need a special trim to go barefoot, and an entire special process so that one day their horse could go barefoot, while in the meantime, their horse might be sore, because he is used to shoes, or he wasn’t trimmed right by the last barefoot trimmer… Shoes are not necessary you say, and if you trim the horse right and often he can go barefoot. I hear this all the time. You completely dismiss the study of good farrier. You don’t say as much, but it’s obvious. Why should the default be to not shoe? Why is barefoot good because it’s less? You cannot answer those questions, without claiming that shoeing is bad and harmful, and barefoot is better and never harmful.
Yes, you guessed it. I am a farrier, and proud of it.

My farrier is a genius. I owe him big time - b/c of him, the now gone black mare was able to stand. Despite his brilliant ability to keep her sound enough to be used, he is not a god and was never able to “fix” her feet…he simply mitigated an unresolvable problem…just like he’s mitigating an unresolvable problem on yet another AQHA Tiny Hoof breeding shed screw up. BUT he has NEVER EVER EVER advocated shoeing anything unless it was REALLY TRULY warranted.

Wirt, I feel for ya, b/c I’m sure you’ve had to deal with a fair share of Bandwagon Barefooters…however none of us has seen the OP’s horse’s feet so without that, no one can truly say “shoe it and get on with it.” There’s a QH at my trainer’s barn (where my genius farrier also shoes) and despite the owner’s plan to shoe It and get on with it, It won’t hold shoes & It has a ridiculously low soles and needs the shoes. IDK what they’re ever going to do with that critter except look at while it eats & poops. I do think it would be of some value for them to pull the horse’s shoes and give him time off…see what happens, cause the shoes are doing nothing but giving the working student something to search for…

PS - I know JB and gasp she’s not anti shoes; Some of her horses have even worn them! …when they needed them. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=camilouwho;7248534]
Does anyone have experience with barefoot horses? If you do, do you feed any supplements?

Thanks in advance! :)[/QUOTE]

I keep a wide variety of horses and mules and they’re all barefoot, and have been since hoof boots evolved to the point where they’d stay on. Before that I learned to shoe and nailed their shoes on, and still do occasionally (mostly in the winter when the mules, with their long narrow hooves, need ice calks and the boots won’t stay on well enough).

The reason I stopped shoeing was because I couldn’t see how the dropped soles and run out toes could in any way contribute to long term soundness. I realize that it may be possible to shoe horses and keep them sound, at least to some degree for some period of time, but I like a big frog, wide heels, thick cupped soles, and short toes, and the only way to get that is for the horse to use his hoof the way it was made to be used.

We’re in New England so ride on gravel roads quite a bit, and seldom need to boot, but that’s because 1) we ride regularly enough that ours develop strong bare hooves, and 2) we have no problem getting off and putting boots on if they start to run out of hoof.

I have friends who don’t want to get off and put boots on so they just put them on before they go, but their horses never develop really strong hooves because they never get enough stimulation.

I have both a mule and a horse that I’m doing long term self trim experiments on, and so far they’ve both been much sounder than they were when I was trimming them more often. Their hooves don’t look as good (they’re ragged and asymmetrical), but they’re both much sounder on the gravel roads, and I think that’s because the hoof self trims the weaker parts while the stronger parts are left to provide protection.

They also both have much better balanced hooves than I was ever able to achieve when I kept their hooves smooth and symmetrical.

The only supplement I feed is a custom mineral mix that balances out their hay.

Please show me where I implied that only a trimmer knows how to trim a bare foot :confused: A proper trim is a proper trim, no matter what. Leave the ground surface flat if you’re going to shoe. I implied no such thing that a farrier could not trim a bare foot.

Its the trim its the trim its the trim, is your mantra.

Yes, that IS my mantra, because without that, shoes or no shoes is a moot point

I see, a farrier wouldn’t know that, I guess. It as if a farrier doesn’t know anything, really. In fact, the entire argument you have is based on poor shoeing,not good shoeing.

You have not understood my posts at all. You are the one who says, without caveats, that “shoes don’t harm feet”. My counters, as well as those of a few others, have been to point out that it is not as black and white as you are stating.

Doesn’t matter how many shoes don’t fit the trim, that is not good shoeing.

Obviously.

A so called barefoot trimmer is not a farrier.

Wherever did I, or anyone else, say that? I don’t think I ever said anything about trimmers to begin with, so… :confused:

In fact, most wouldn’t know good shoeing if it bit them in the ass.

Plenty of farriers don’t know that either, so what’s your point?

You have no idea how serious good farriers are about hoof care, and correct shoeing to help a horse.

You could not be MORE wrong in that. I’m not even sure you were reading the same posts I was writing :confused:

But you believe most farriers know nothing about trimming, and convince people not to have a farrier trim their horse.

WHERE have I EVER said that?

You want to base your passion to have most horse go barefoot based on a minority of horses that you think travel better without shoes, or do okay barefoot, because they don’t get ridden that often. I don’t understand the barefoot agenda. I don’t buy it. You are against shoeing, you just cannot admit it. You encourage people to go barefoot. You convince people who don’t know anything that they need a special trim to go barefoot, and an entire special process so that one day their horse could go barefoot, while in the meantime, their horse might be sore, because he is used to shoes, or he wasn’t trimmed right by the last barefoot trimmer… Shoes are not necessary you say, and if you trim the horse right and often he can go barefoot. I hear this all the time. You completely dismiss the study of good farrier. You don’t say as much, but it’s obvious. Why should the default be to not shoe? Why is barefoot good because it’s less? You cannot answer those questions, without claiming that shoeing is bad and harmful, and barefoot is better and never harmful.
Yes, you guessed it. I am a farrier, and proud of it.

Wow, there isn’t a single thing about me that you think you know that is correct. There isn’t a single one of my posts here that you understood.

As finzean said, I’ve had shod feet, I currently have bare feet that I trim myself, I have farrier friends who I consult with when I need help with my bare hooved horses, and I would put shoes on any of my horses if it was needed for the work I was asking them to do.

My horses are not currently shod because they don’t NEED it. One has been booted a few times for riding on trails that were rockier than his non-rocky conditioned feet could handle, and even then I didn’t assume he would need them, but I did bring them in case, and yes, ended up using them.

But I’m NOT going to put shoes on him for the 1-2 times a year I might encounter that condition. That does not make me anti-shoe. It DOES make me “keep it as simple as you can until conditions prove something else is needed”.

If you want to just put shoes on everything “and be done with it”, that is your perogative, but you come across far more anti-barefoot than I have ever been anti-shoe (which, btw, is never, so…)

I have had farriers, who could put a balanced trim on my horse and do a good shoeing job, too. I have had farriers, who took my horse from a size 2, down to a 0, in two shoeings !:mad: I have been told, by a farrier, that my horse needed bar shoes, when she did not. The best that my horse has ever moved has been when she was barefoot, with a balanced foot, after a good trim! I have owned this horse for almost 12 years. I understand what works and what does not. Dr. Raul Bras, who is one of the Vet specialists for Rood and Riddle, told me that this horse does not need shoes! Wirt, not every horse does need them. Putting nails and clips into the hoof wall damages the hoof, every time that you do it. That is a fact. If you do not need to damage the wall, then why do it? I have another horse who is a TB. She will have to have shoes on for all of her life, because her feet are not strong enough to go barefoot. I understand this and have changed her nutrition to help her hoof walls stand up to having nails put into them every 5-6 weeks. Until we see photos of the OP’s horse’s hooves, then ranting back and forth over barefoot vs. shoeing is a moot point. JMHO. :cool:

Shoes are like everything else.

They have a purpose. I’ve had a BLM mustang. Hardest feet on the planet, never needed shoes. OTTB needed shoes his entire life. Draft cross, never needed shoes, he showed and foxhunted. Current horse is an appendix. Came unshod, was unshod a year, developed a pretty decent crack, put shoes on all summer. Crack gone, removed shoes Monday. He is a little ouchy, but not more than you would expect, and he isn’t in work at present, just soft ground, he’ll go back in work as soon as he “toughens up” a bit.

If horses lived like nature intended, they likely wouldn’t need shoes. Oftentimes, shoes are more “cosmetic” than necessary, we want Dobbin’s feet to “look good”.

Some horses need shoes in order to remain sound enough for a person to use them as they’d like. These horses might be slow enough in nature to be first one for dinner on the food chain.

My farrier did my big draft cross for years and said he’d likely never need to be shod. He didn’t.

He also did my OTTB, and said the horse had terrible feet.

I have a fabulous farrier who believes that not only each horse, but each foot on each horse is unique.

[QUOTE=Wirt;7250762]
I said special trim, because the inference is that only a “barefoot trimmer” can trim a horse correctly, and a shoer doesn’t know how to trim for bare feet. You are the one who implies that. Its the trim its the trim its the trim, is your mantra. I see, a farrier wouldn’t know that, I guess. It as if a farrier doesn’t know anything, really. In fact, the entire argument you have is based on poor shoeing,not good shoeing. Doesn’t matter how many shoes don’t fit the trim, that is not good shoeing. A so called barefoot trimmer is not a farrier. In fact, most wouldn’t know good shoeing if it bit them in the ass. You have no idea how serious good farriers are about hoof care, and correct shoeing to help a horse. But you believe most farriers know nothing about trimming, and convince people not to have a farrier trim their horse. You want to base your passion to have most horse go barefoot based on a minority of horses that you think travel better without shoes, or do okay barefoot, because they don’t get ridden that often. I don’t understand the barefoot agenda. I don’t buy it. You are against shoeing, you just cannot admit it. You encourage people to go barefoot. You convince people who don’t know anything that they need a special trim to go barefoot, and an entire special process so that one day their horse could go barefoot, while in the meantime, their horse might be sore, because he is used to shoes, or he wasn’t trimmed right by the last barefoot trimmer… Shoes are not necessary you say, and if you trim the horse right and often he can go barefoot. I hear this all the time. You completely dismiss the study of good farrier. You don’t say as much, but it’s obvious. Why should the default be to not shoe? Why is barefoot good because it’s less? You cannot answer those questions, without claiming that shoeing is bad and harmful, and barefoot is better and never harmful.
Yes, you guessed it. I am a farrier, and proud of it.[/QUOTE]

BS. JB isn’t against shoes at all.

You need to brush up on those reading comprehension skills.

My “shoe it and get on with it” attitude is abrasive. I am anti-barefoot when it comes to a perfectly healthy horse that someone wants to ride seriously, and someone puts it in their head they might try barefoot, and down that road they go, when there is not reason in the world not to shoe the horse, and be able to ride wherever and whenever they want. That is my peeve. I have seen so many times where the desire to be barefoot over rode common sense, because the owner read the barefoot stuff and the anti-iron shoe “science”, and now its all about “going barefoot” and not riding. I am all about riding, and using horses. I hear “barefoot” and I think, not a serious ride. All though I realize there are exceptions of horses doing things like the Tevis barefoot, but it is usually a selfish endeavor, and rare, and, wait, they needed boots.
So yes, the barefoot craze backyard horses are pet everything natural craze that has permeated the horse culture has driven me to be anti-foot. So excuse me for dumping on you.

[QUOTE=Wirt;7250762]
Its the trim its the trim its the trim, is your mantra. [/QUOTE]
Farrier or barefoot specialist - the trim IS the key. I don’t want a farrier who doesn’t balance the hoof either, and believe that far too many so-called farriers do crap trims which greatly damage the hooves.

I mentioned above that my horse is barefoot because he needs very frequent very small trims to help his hooves get back to decent shape. He very well may end up back in shoes at some point, as his soles are still fairly soft, though he goes nicely in good footing, and is comfortable anywhere in boots. In his case, removing shoes was not about the shoes, but about not putting holes in his hoof walls every 2 weeks and being able to gradually adjust his hooves to a better balance. For him, it was a long process from the time he started racing until now for him to develop poor hooves, and the way his hooves grew no 5-6 week trim cycle was going to help his hooves recover, and instead they grew worse each time. My farrier (who puts shoes on about 50% of the horses he works with) was taking as much toe and balancing as best he could, but when my horse’s hoof wall wouldn’t support shoeing more frequently than every 6 weeks and every 6 weeks wasn’t frequent enough to help shorten up the toe without making him lame each trim, barefoot was the way to keep him going with frequent trims but still able to work. My horse is one who can’t handle time off - he is far too high energy, and hurts himself playing too hard in his 1 acre pen if he has time off.

A little advice since you are new here (or you’re previously banned and here with a new name… you do sound familiar, so that’s possible, too) - you are coming across as someone with a HUGE chip on your shoulder, disrespectful and insulting to others, and as someone who most of us wouldn’t want near our horses no matter how skilled. You are representing yourself as a professional here, and image matters - you may wish to think about your tone and presentation if you don’t wish to turn away future clients.

Riding is secondary for any horse, given how few hours are spent riding vs. in our care. Whether humans are actively involved in a horse’s life, or just leaving the horse alone in a field with unlimited grass/hay most of the non-riding hours, our horsemanship and care of our horses is key to all those non-riding hours. This is an example of where you put yourself in a poor light - your occupation is CARE of horses, not riding horses, and yet you say it should be all about the riding of horses.
It’s the proper care which makes the horses available for riding, and our duty to give the best care. That may or may not be in shoes, and I have concern with zealots in either direction, as sticking to one solid perspective only means you don’t listen to and truly care for the horse.

Regarding wirt’s latest post. Apologies; I hadn’t seen there was a post after.

That is of course your opinion. Switch some words and you would have accurately expressed my position…180 degrees from yours. I guess we have strong opinions. Let me say I am 44 years old and this is the environment in which I was raised -long before this “craze” you speak of. Barefoot was the rule, shoeing was done if a horse needed it to fix something. I grew up in Trinidad in the Caribbean, and rode there, in Pennsylvania, and in Maryland.

My point is-no need for disdain for people who go barefoot. It is not new “science”.

Paula

wirt showed up on this forum to bash “all the women” who were complaining about Jill Burnell :wink:

wirt is also the ex-husband of Teresa Groesbeck, and you can read all about that one right here too. I’ve seen the “hoof care” a friend’s mare received while with Teresa while wirt was the farrier on hand. Whether that is his normal way of doing feet, or just how leased horses were treated, I don’t know, but either way, it makes no difference to me.

That’s why his name probably sounds familiar :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Wirt;7251114]
My “shoe it and get on with it” attitude is abrasive. I am anti-barefoot when it comes to a perfectly healthy horse that someone wants to ride seriously, and someone puts it in their head they might try barefoot, and down that road they go, when there is not reason in the world not to shoe the horse, and be able to ride wherever and whenever they want. That is my peeve. I have seen so many times where the desire to be barefoot over rode common sense, because the owner read the barefoot stuff and the anti-iron shoe “science”, and now its all about “going barefoot” and not riding. I am all about riding, and using horses. I hear “barefoot” and I think, not a serious ride. All though I realize there are exceptions of horses doing things like the Tevis barefoot, but it is usually a selfish endeavor, and rare, and, wait, they needed boots.
So yes, the barefoot craze backyard horses are pet everything natural craze that has permeated the horse culture has driven me to be anti-foot. So excuse me for dumping on you.[/QUOTE] Agreeing with your postings and specifically adressing what is in red. There are always exceptions to everything. This is a Dressage Forum, not a trail riding forum. With rare exceptions, dedicated dressage riders with high quality horses working at higher levels (showing or not) aren’t going barefoot nor are they out trail riding on rocks. Look at the top international horses. Are these owners and riders all ignorant about hoof care? I believe that many riders choose barefoot because it’s cheaper than shoeing. If a barefoot trim cost the same as four shoes, I think you’d see more choosing shoes.

RE: This is a Dressage Forum, not a trail riding forum. With rare exceptions, dedicated dressage riders with high quality horses working at higher levels (showing or not) aren’t going barefoot nor are they out trail riding on rocks.

Oh don’t make me laugh…ah, too late. Listen 46-posts you have no idea what you’re talking about. If this forum was only or even mostly “high quality horses working at higher levels” there’d be sounds of crickets. Take five minutes and you’ll see that many skill levels and horses are represented here.

Paula