Unlimited access >

Going barefoot to grow foot

I’ve used casting on the pony… didn’t do anything special to prepare the foot or use studs and they were still quite the headache to get off…

Cloud boots were a God send when I took the old man out of shoes and are great to just have around for abscesses etc. I also like Scoot Boots a lot. It might be a good idea right now to do boots with pads so that you have access to the foot for soaking/treating thrush and frequent trimming. I probably don’t need to say this but don’t let anyone near the bottom of his foot with a knife.

1 Like

Agree with the fly boots- they are awesome.

You can also just buy yourself some casting material- like the human type- which is MUCH cheaper. I’ve been casting horses that need it for about 20 years doing this. It is a GREAT options for some horses!

Adorable!

I was at my wit’s end by August 2020, lost shoes every cycle for months. I started him on CA Trace and I put Keratex hoof hardener on his feet like it’s my fricking JOB (at least 5 days a week) and knock on wood, he has not lost a shoe since! I was skeptical re: the supplement and said well I’ll give it a year and take him off if there is no difference. The closest we got so far is that on his “bad” foot (shaped weird) he managed to lose all 4 nails on the inside and twist the shoe a bit but it still stayed on! I have no idea how it did.

1 Like

Not necessily. A good farrier can increase "toe spread so the nails are going through the walls as little as possible. My farrier is working on a Western Pleasure - bred QH and his approach to making the front hooves spread out and grow our for better nails in the shoes made all the difference in this horse.