Unlimited access >

Going foxhunting for the first time! HELP

Who are you hunting with??

You need to re-think this

I would only go if I had a competent, knowlegeable ADULT riding right behind you (or ahead). For that matter, I would wait on a more seasoned horse, also. The kid will get you in trouble, and if you do something silly or cannot check your horse (HARD) you’re going to slam into her. You may think now that won’t happen, but sometimes you have to pull up
FAST.

If someone invites you to hunt, they are RESPONSIBLE for you. End of story. They should not invite you and not hunt. I may be wrong (some of you experts correct me if I am) but I would think this is frowned upon by the staff!

[QUOTE=AC & Ty;2027672]

If someone invites you to hunt, they are RESPONSIBLE for you. End of story. They should not invite you and not hunt. I may be wrong (some of you experts correct me if I am) but I would think this is frowned upon by the staff![/QUOTE]

That is true for our hunt too. Which is why I was asking about which hunt. We don’t allow guests out if they are not out with those who invite them.

As per our bylaws
It is the responsibility of the host to see to the guest’s comfort and observance of the foxchasing protocol in the field as to attire and courtesies.

[QUOTE=AC & Ty;2027672]
You need to re-think this

I would only go if I had a competent, knowlegeable ADULT riding right behind you (or ahead). For that matter, I would wait on a more seasoned horse, also. The kid will get you in trouble, and if you do something silly or cannot check your horse (HARD) you’re going to slam into her. You may think now that won’t happen, but sometimes you have to pull up
FAST.

If someone invites you to hunt, they are RESPONSIBLE for you. End of story. They should not invite you and not hunt. I may be wrong (some of you experts correct me if I am) but I would think this is frowned upon by the staff![/QUOTE]

I know two other people (adults) who will be in the second flight with me, one who is a boarder at my barn. But i was just joking saying i would want to stick back with the kid to stay out of harms way, i know she rides ALL the way in the back with another woman i know who goes second flight. My frined has been on this horse and knows him to be perfectly sane and good tempered. Just not a jumper yet and doesnt go first flight. Which is fine by me! Means i dont have to jump! I am sure i will be fine, just nervous jitters. He wouldnt put me on a horse that was a bad suite, and wouldnt put me in a sitation i couldnt handle. He just has a LOT more faith in my abilities than i do.

“I found out today that my trainer (who is the person who invited me to the hunt)” (QUOTE)

“The person that invited me is the secretary i believe, so yes, he knows And i am going as a guest, not a groom. So i will be shelling out some $$” (QUOTE)

“[I]AND to freak me out MORE, last minute changes have occurred and my trainer notified me today that he will be bringing me out there, and introduce me to people, but that he will not be hunting that day! WTF!?!?!” /I

Let me repeat
if this person is the secretary AND invited you AND is not going
I would LOVE to know which hunt this is
this is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Are these other people willing to call you their guest? Are they willing to stop and scoop you off the ground if need be?

Fishy, fishy
:confused:

[QUOTE=AC & Ty;2027729]
"
Let me repeat
if this person is the secretary AND invited you AND is not going
I would LOVE to know which hunt this is
this is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Are these other people willing to call you their guest? Are they willing to stop and scoop you off the ground if need be?

Fishy, fishy
:confused:[/QUOTE]

ok, stop reading way too much into this and being suspicious. He didnt decide to just all of a sudden “not go.” He is leaving for business and said that he wouldnt be back in time for his flight. He is taking me there before hand, taking care of hunt business matters, introducing me to people, and sticking me with the right people to take care of me, and then had to head out. He isnt NOT going entirely, he just cant make the actual hunt.

Not being “suspicious”
I think my tone came across wrong

The correct thing to do in this situation would be for him to tell you that you could hunt another day when he would be present. Again, if he invited you, and then “handed” you to others, and (hopefully not) something happened, he is still responsible. If he is the secretary, he should know this. I was going to say “It’s just not done
” but I couldn’t find the button to change the print to “haughty hunting battle ax”
:lol:

Also, it would be better if you hunted on a WEEKDAY your first time
the group is always smaller on weekdays and sometimes it is much easier to learn and listen to what’s going on. To start on a formal weekend is slightly daunting. Hunt the week of Christmas, that’s what I’m going to do! :slight_smile:

PVC- which hunt are you going out with? Do you know which fixture also?

[QUOTE=AC & Ty;2027817]
but I couldn’t find the button to change the print to “haughty hunting battle ax”
:lol: [/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

pvcjumper, I think that sounds like good advice. Go on a weekday at first. I’m pretty new to all this, but the Tuesday hunts have been much more fun, and way more of a learning experience. I am a little surprised, though, that you don’t seem to have someone (the person who invited you) to shepherd you through the entire hunt. I thought that was SOP for those on their first time out

[QUOTE=AC & Ty;2027817]
Not being “suspicious”
I think my tone came across wrong

The correct thing to do in this situation would be for him to tell you that you could hunt another day when he would be present. Again, if he invited you, and then “handed” you to others, and (hopefully not) something happened, he is still responsible. If he is the secretary, he should know this. I was going to say “It’s just not done
” but I couldn’t find the button to change the print to “haughty hunting battle ax”
:lol:

Also, it would be better if you hunted on a WEEKDAY your first time
the group is always smaller on weekdays and sometimes it is much easier to learn and listen to what’s going on. To start on a formal weekend is slightly daunting. Hunt the week of Christmas, that’s what I’m going to do! :)[/QUOTE]

Thats okay. I did mention going on a weekday, but he said the land where they go on weekday hunts is not good to start on??? Whatever that means. :confused: I may consider going another day when he will be here, but the horse has already been arranged for me and i dont want to seem ungrateful either. One of the woman i know very well (previous lease) and she will be taking care of me if i go. I think i still will go and all, i know the guy would have been in first flight anyways. I dont know what a “fixture” is though, so sorry, dont know! And i know the hunt is out in
 middleburg? I think
 I know i go past the middleburg tack exchange to get out to where it is, so either in middleburg or a little further, i think. Only been there once. :no:

The “fixtures” where they hunt on a weekday may be more “trappy”. (A fixture is where you hunt from, a farm or location
and trappy can mean steep, rocky, tough terrain.) Regardless, you will still see and hear more during the week with a smaller group. The riders who hunt the weekdays are good to learn from too
they are out more often than the weekenders, and they often know the hounds better and the territory.
Also, if he wants you to go, he should stay with you DURING the hunt, at least until you looked comfortable, and then move on to first flight.
When she asked what hunt
is it Middleburg Hunt or what? Not the LOCATION you’re hunting from
the actual CLUB.

The hunts out “near” Middleburg include several different ones. Could be Middleburg or Piedmont. Piedmont is just past Middleburg.

and you said you would be shelling out “the big bucks” to hunt, so you must not be going out with Middleburg, because if you are 21, it’s only $50 to hunt with them as a junior. If it is Middleburg Hunt you are going out with then, contact SidesaddleRider on here and she may be able to give you some pointers.

If you are hunting with Piedmont, I don’t know many of the 2nd field people, but the guy I groom for’s son rides with Piedmont, so he may be able to help “baby-sit” you, no offense. If you don’t even know the hunt you’re going out with, I suggest you find out! And Middleburg is quite formal hunt, so I suggest going out to Middleburg and hitting up the Tack Exchange before going hunting, Ms. Motion is bound to have a hunt coat that should fit you (remember you have to be able to put layers of clothes underneath, and possibly your safety vest (although really not quite proper). Check out: www.middleburghunt.com to get an idea
if that is who are you going out with.

pvcjumper,

Formality of fox hunt groups varies quite a bit.

Some hunts restrict field size to appease landowners. Some hunts restrict guests to be invited and accompanied by a member. Looking over the COTH foxhunting issue, the vast majority of MFHA hunts listed say “Visitors welcome to hunt.” and they mean it or they wouldn’t print it. Some hunts are very open to guests with or without a chaperon.

pvcjumper, don’t let other discourage you. Go foxhunting as soon as possible! This Sunday!

Hunts prefer guests to stay on their steeds and to not become halt and infirm. It is presumed a member would invite folks that are likely to cooperate in this small way. When I invite myself to other hunts by calling the contact listed in the COTH issue, I expect a certain amount of “third degree” questioning to ascertain a propensity to stay on my horse and to “keep up” and thus not require a search patrol to find me at the end of the day.

Most hunts are not nit-picky about attire and you have several folks at your barn who can give you advice. In general, you should appear from a distance that you “fit in the picture” with the other riders. “Up close” it will only be other foxhunters who wont care about details. No one expects a guest to be 100% correct. When you become hooked on foxhunting and join a hunt, then you can take time to conform to that particular hunt’s traditions on detail.

Your situation coming up this weekend sounds like a recipe for a completely Great Time! Be sure to tell us all about it!

Why do I suspect the OP is going to be hunting with the Middleburg/Orange County Beagles

[QUOTE=gothedistance;2028332]
Why do I suspect the OP is going to be hunting with the Middleburg/Orange County Beagles
[/QUOTE]

maybe, i dont think so though, i dont think the name was that long
 and i dont think they are beagles? I could be wrong. I will ask tomorrow though!

How about MOC? Does that sound familiar?

[QUOTE=gothedistance;2028438]
How about MOC? Does that sound familiar?[/QUOTE]

I dont think it was short or an acronym either
 i will definitely ask tomorrow and let you guys know though. He gave me a little book, which is apprently published all over the internet because i have already read it, about “Foxhunting in America” or something like that, written by some guy i dont know and forget his name now! Looks pretty universal though, and i read it again anyways because i said i would. All about etiquette, attire, the way the hunt works, language and terms, etc. I am kind of excited now
 i am sure tomorrow i will be scared again though
 i am going through the ups and downs part of something exciting/dangerous/fun now :slight_smile:

Which hunt??

By process of elimination:

Fairfax, Piedmont, Loudoun, Bull Run, Old Dominion, and Orange County meet on Saturday. Middleburg is also meeting this Saturday after the parade. Can’t be any of the above.

Sunday hunts - Loudoun West (too far away up in P-ville), MOC (private pack that promotes foxhunting for kids, uses Middleburg, Piedmont, and Orange County territory by invitation). It may also be Snickersville – which isn’t recognized but hunts in a small section of Middleburg territory by permission of that landowner.

If the OP doesn’t recognize MOC’s name, then is HAS to be Snickersville.

How could you forget a name like Snickersville!

Thats a good horse name isnt it :slight_smile:

HA! You are good! I didnt check the boards this morning but just got back from the barn and you are right! :winkgrin: Good job! I thought it was something about candy, lol, but i didnt think that made ANY sense what so ever.