Unlimited access >

Going foxhunting for the first time! HELP

PVCJumper - I am a whip for Snickersville, and am happy to answer any questions you may have about our particular hunt. Please be sure to introduce yourself on Sunday! Look for a red coat on a chestnut mare. If your trainer’s initials are BD, I am sure you are in good hands. Our hilltopping group is famous for getting non-hunters started hunting, and will take good care of you.

See you Sunday,

“Hopefully” - you have PM :winkgrin:

Snickersville? is that near Hersheytown? LOL…( sorry, i’m on the west coast…

I’M ALIVE AND WELL EVERYONE! I will post tomorrow (from work :wink: ) when i know everyone is online from their jobs as well! (The boards are a ghost town on weekends!) Everything went great and i didnt die so thats a plus! will fill everyone in on details Monday! Thank you anyone and everyone from the Snickersville Hounds for all your hospitality and I cant wait to see you (next week!?) hopefully, assuming i am all prepared for finals and dont need to cram that weekend! Thanks everyone from COTH who left posts and encouraged me!

You seem to know the area quite well hunting wise. I know summer isn’t the season for it but do any of the hunts do hunt-paced trail rides etc that are particularly open to introducing strangers to the sport? I’ll be doing a veterinary externship in the area and am loathe to miss a chance to dip my toe in since fox hunting is my long-range riding goal.

There is a group on Facebook that just posted the Hunter Pace rides that will be going on in the Virginia and Southern Maryland area. I’ll link to the page if I can find it.

Another option is join hunts when they have trail rides during the summer. Many of the hunts do weekly rides others do a monthly ride. Old Dominion is one that does a weekly walk and talk during the summer.

AND another option may be to join a hunt when they go out on hound exercise.

Many of these things depend on the hunt an whether the trail rides are open to guests and whether the hound exercise is open to non members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/249138202682879/

Here is the hunter pace page on FB for the Virginia area.