Unlimited access >

Good Horse Movies

Bite the Bullet, a show set in 1906 Starring Candice Bergman, Gene Hackman, James Coburn and Ben Johnson, plus some others. It is about an endurance race that takes place at that time.

1 Like

That horse was a holy terror. I almost felt bad for the owner, but she was a victim of her own ignorance.

I loved the movie Unbranded, about a 3000 mile trek from Mexico to the Canadian border on mustangs. It was on Netflix; hopefully it still is. I also loved Down the Fence, about reined cow horses and cowboys. On Amazon prime. And an old one that I have watched a million times, The Electric Horseman.

The Proud Stallion 1962 Czech movie.
It’s on YouTube.
You can also see it on Spectrum On Demand primetime free AMC films

White Mane 1963 Short film. I could only find the trailer for it not the full film .

Love War Horse, but the book and stage production are both better than the film - if you ever get the chance to see it on stage then do not hesitate - DO IT! It’s incredible how believable the horses are, even though they are essentially just the frame of a horse and you can see the guys controlling them, the movements are so realistic that you zone the people right out. Once I finish my school project, maybe will use ome help of
https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/evolutionwriters/ , I will rewatch Black Beauty with my younger sister. Actually Black Beauty was a favourite when I was young, and also The Horse Whisperer. Can’t think of any others off the top of my head but will be following this thread for ideas!

That book made me cry so much as a kid.

The short film is here but has no English subtitles.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has mentioned it yet, but I liked Dreamer. I thought it was cute.

I watched Ride Like A Girl on the weekend and enjoyed it for the most part.

@sophie :open_mouth:
That was an interesting, if confusing(thanks, High School French :roll_eyes:) watch.
Stallion fight scene was hard to watch - 1953, so no Animal Rights in France I’d guess - but the riding made me wonder if the director of The Black Stallion movie might have seen this.
Beach scenes were a similar, but Holy Cow! :scream:French kid could RIDE!

Yeah, some scenes are cringe worthy and/or too long, as well. But it gives a very good idea of the Camargue region of France and its great little horses. They are a blast to ride, so quick and agile. You can still get to ride them if you go to the manades (= ranches) and if you tell them you can ride, they take you down those sandy trails FULL SPEED.
I thought the same thing about the beach galloping scene, precursor to the Black Stallion’s scenes!
The ending, though. I still remember being beside myself, as a kid ( loosely translated, it says, “The gardians called and called for them to come back, but White Mane kept swimming and took the kid to a beautiful country where Man and Horse can be friends always”.

1 Like

Other notables
Wild Horse, Wild Ride” documentary about the mustang challenge
Documentary about Totilas if you can find it.
Danny (just for the old horse show scenes)
Gypsy Colt (oldie and unbelievable but the horse in the movie is really amazing.

For the record I couldn’t stand Blue Fire Lady but loved Hildago, lol

Ruffian is one of my favorites but is super sad.

Just watched “The Mustang” (2019). Takes a look at the inmate mustang gentling program through a main character who struggles with violence, and the beginnings of his own rehabilitation through being assigned a wild horse to train. Aside from some unrealistic happenings here and there, I thought it was pretty solid and definitely worth a watch.

Shergar was fun to watch. I prefer that ending to reality.

I saw that. Good movie. Intense and not kid friendly, though (drugs, prison, etc…). The lead horse looks a lot like my Mustang mare. Dun is a common enough color, though.