Unlimited access >

Good Horse Movies

@equinelibrium Icelandic horses. Not ponies. Never call them ponies.

There’s some information on Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit here and here. Both links are to this forum.

Sylvester.

It’s an eventing movie. But I’ve been struggling to find a copy that’s not in sections on YouTube. A little bit cringy in some places but still a good movie.

6 Likes

There is a documentary being made about Kim Walnes and The Gray Goose, who played Sylvester in the movie.

Or at least I think it will be made, still in kickstarter as far as I know.

Some of my favorites as a child have already been mention. I’ve watched Man from Snowy River and Ladyhawk so many times :crazy_face: .

These might be cheesy but I loved The Rouge Stallion (yes cheesy) and The Littlest Outlaw.

If I watch The Man From Snowy River or Phar Lap one more time…

The Last Unicorn holds a very special place in my heart. I’m sad that the live action production never made it out of development hell.

I think the movie with the racehorse and the rooster is “Riding High” starring Bing Crosby. Not a bad flick.

1 Like

In addition to some already mentioned (Seabiscuit, MFSR) I also like Blue Fire Lady.
Ruffian was pretty good.
If you can get past the cornball element indicative of the era: Home in Indiana and The Great Dan Patch.

@GoneAway Thanks for the info & correction.
I do know the title, but somehow edited it out of my post :persevere:
I saw it so long ago & keep trying to find it complete (Full Movie) online to watch again.

My bad @Old_Mac_Donald! Nevertheless they were very cute :smiley:

Thanks for the info, how cool is that? I had no idea it was originally a book!

1 Like

Dark Horse is a really fun documentary about a group of working class Welsh folk who go in on a steeplechaser.

@dressagetraks thank you for starting this thread, I am taking notes!

I am so often disappointed in “horse movies” that I tend to avoid them, as a rule. Some that have made my “good to very good” list over the years:

Seabiscuit
Into the West
Jappeloup
Dance with him
Wild hearts can’t be broken
The Black Stallion

Ambivalent about The Horse Whisperer. I liked the book better.

Not horse movies but so many great horse scenes in them:

Lord of the Ring movies
Silverado
Dances with wolves

Others will come back to mind I am sure

1 Like

Oh, I forgot about Hidalgo.

Are you serious? :crazy_face:
Unless you include counting how many horses were used as Hidalgo (fun watching the paint pattern change) that was one stinkeroo of a horse movie :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Re: Hidalgo, there’s also the horse so badly injured I need to put him down/horse up and winning race rapid-healing scene.

I agree on Snowman. It’s wonderful. Love seeing the original footage, even if it is old home movie quality.

We loved Dark Horse (even non-horsey DH)! They don’t just go in on a steeplechaser, the waitress at a pub, who has no horse experience, just decides she can breed a racehorse, buys a mare, breeds it, raises it in her back yard, gets the pub patrons to buy into a syndicate, manages to get the colt in with a good trainer, and makes a success of it. Really incredible!

1 Like

I liked the horses. Unrealistic as hell and supposedly based in truth, but the horses were cute.

Unbranded (the scenery … swoon!)
War Horse (sob)

Does anybody remember ‘The Adventures of Champion’? TV show with the most gorgeous renegade ‘stallion’ … I needed to have that horse when I was a kid. (dating myself).

I can’t bring myself to watch War Horse. When I think of what a massacre WWI was, both in human and animal (horses, dogs) lives…

Yeah, Hidalgo didn’t do it for me either lol - even though I do like Viggo Mortensen.