Unlimited access >

Good Kid horse show prizes?

Running an online horse show in July. It has a lead line/assisted riding division. There will be flat ribbons for placings in each class (there are five), and fancy specialty ribbon for everyone who does the entire division, and a champion and a reserve. I need prize ideas though! Last year I did an activity/colouring book made by a local artist, so thinking along those lines. Must be mailable. I also want a prize idea if the champion or reserve is an “assisted rider” who isn’t a kid… I don’t have kids, so I have no idea. I like something that is a game/activity though?

Gift card to Dunkin/Starbucks? I remember how excited I would get as a kid when I got $5 to go spend on a donut and would have to get my mother to drive me there to get it.

Coloring book is a good idea. There are horsey coloring books that are nice and complex enough not to be insulting to an adult.

2 Likes

If most of your riders are local a gift card to a local tack shop or feed store might be nice.

order some silicon bracelets - you can customize them all sorts of ways

1 Like

Look, I’ll be honest with you, I’m a full-grown adult amateur known for saying “I’m not leaving the barn unless the ribbons cost at least $2” and I would be absolutely delighted to win one of those big palm-sized candy lollipops.

5 Likes

Brushes
Cute whips
Books on horsemanship
Leadropes
Gift certificates
Halters

1 Like

I doubt anyone would mind if you did coloring books again. Those are fun for everyone (adults too). Even better that they are a locally designed thing and they fit your need to be easily mailed.

I also like the horsemanship book idea. Not sure what is out there that will be priced right and easily mailed though.

With it being an online show are you getting entries from far and wide? Gift cards for an online retailer would work if that is the case. You could offer the winners a choice of retailers even.
T-shirts mail well but then you have to deal with sizing.

The Silicon bracelet idea will probably be popular too.

If your price point is a little higher you could do personalized key chains or such and have them mailed directly from the supplier to the winners.
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/tory-leather-key-fob-strap-with-snap-2077?_br_psugg_q=keychain
Or the style with the hoof pick:
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/tory-leather-folding-hoof-pick-fob-2075?_br_psugg_q=keychain

How about fun boot socks? They should mail easily.

A fun horse book, here is an example:
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/the-essential-fergus-the-horse-20158

I have posted this before however the American Morgan Horse Association has a free to use introductory general horse pamphlet that can be reproduced

https://www.morganhorse.com/upload/photos/page_1123_2021_amhay_merit_intro_figure_small.pdf

it is general in nature however is a breed publication FOR NON-MEMBERS ONLY.

If the youth wishes upon completion they can receive a FREE youth AMHA Membership for the remainder of the year upon completion.

I found a kid horse vet kit for my “big prize”…then realized it would make more sense to order mail away prizes later and have them shipped directly to winners…but the horse vet kit is amazing! Working stethoscope, chart to learn how to take vitals on your pony, stickers to learn anatomy, basic horsemanship, etc. Something I would have wanted as a child, so of course I bought it. Also found a local candy maker that I may buy from…but I have about two weeks after getting entries before I need prizes, so it gives me time to know my budget.

The last time you posted the link, I was looking for something for two little girls my office manager had that were horse crazy. The loved the pamphlet and had fun coloring in the pictures!

in the 1990s I was a regional youth director for the Morgans… Most of the goals were to educate the kids about the horse in general then specifically the Morgan

the breed association has been very free with its information for others to use

If you go to the Morgan Horse web site, Youth programs there is additional items

What a great idea!