Unlimited access >

Good Quality Tall Riding Boots

I am looking for a good quality pair of tall boots. I own the Ariat Heritage boots but the leather on the inside is rubbing off so I refuse to buy Heritage boots again.

I am looking for something that will hold up for a while. They will most likely be for showing but I would like to be able to ride in them whenever as well. I show the hunters and jumpers. Would prefer not to break the bank.

How old are the Heritage boots and how long have you ridden in them? They’ve upgraded the leather over the years - my son’s Heritage tall boots are so much nicer than my daughter’s old ones. Consider the next level up in Ariat, the Challenge II Square Toe. Those boots are workhorses. I have a pair of the older Challenge I’ve worn for years, riding 4-5 times a week, schooling and showing. Last year I bought the square toe in Cognac and they broke in very quickly and are comfortable. They’re designed for schooling & showing with more durable leather. In general, with a less expensive boot you get economy materials. With the more expensive show boots, the finer leathers aren’t as tough.

I have the ariat V sports, I have had them for 2 years riding about 6 times a week and they still look good.
Customs can be really nice, some of them are almost the same cost as off the shelf ones.
The best advice I can give is to have one show set and one home set.

I like my Ariat Quantum Crowns a lot. I have an older pair I bought used on ebay and have worn the snot out of them for a year and no additional visible wear. I bought another pair when Dovers was closing them out to show in, if I ever actually get into the show ring.

I wish the Tredstep boots fit my feet because they looked like they were good quality for the money. Of everything at Dover in that price point, I thought the Tredstep looked the best.

I will say that the boots that look like socks, that seem to be quite popular now, look terrible after just a few months. I think Parlanti is the favored brand at this barn I started riding at. A couple of younger girls have them and I saw one girl’s the first day she wore them, then I saw her again last week, and they literally look worn out. And this is a fancy barn where nobody touches their horse except to get on and ride, so it’s not like she was bathing horses in them all summer.

The boots that used to hold up FOREVER were Dehner’s. I don’t know if they are still crazy expensive but my college best friend’s are still going strong – and she bought them the summer after we graduated (that was 20 years ago…). The inner calf is pretty worn looking, but she also doesn’t polish the side of her boots against the horse. She also takes them off as soon as she’s done riding and wears clogs - yes, clogs, like hippie clogs – around the barn. I’ve never figured out how she doesn’t break her ankle!!

As Lexie mentioned, if you want boots that are sturdy, you will have to sacrifice that leather-sock look that is so in now.

Dehners will last forever, but they aren’t trendy. You could pick up a used pair reasonably on ebay. Another ebay bargain is the Ariat Crowne Pro. They are pull-ons and are discontinued, but they are beautiful boots and are very well-made. They also look great for pull-ons without the baggy ankle so many have. Maybe you’ll bet lucky and find your size. If you can find a new pair, you’ll probably get a bargain.

If you want zip-ups, I have heard people say good things about the Middleburg boots at Dover. Good boots for the price. Also, my DD has a pair of low-end Mountain Horse boots that have served her very well and still polish up well for shows.

What you don’t want are the boots made from ultra-thin leather. I have a pair of Ariat Challenge Contours (round toe) which look nice enough but are starting to wrinkle and bag after a year or so of showing. It’s disappointing.

I love my Tredstep Donatellos. About $300 and VERY durable and good looking. One of the zippers wore out at the ankle after 3 years riding every day in them, but a replacement is cheap and easy. They’ll be my schooling boots once I finally manage to get them in for a repair!

Look at the Mountain Horse Venetias or Venezias or Venice or whatever they are called now. They look good, they are tough, and you can get them on sale very cheaply. I have a pair for my daily boots and I love them.

Let you visit at Ariat, the Challenge II Square Toe

I like the Ariat Volant S zip tall boots, they are rugged and hold up well. I would show in them but they are not tall enough for my leg height :frowning:

[QUOTE=foursocks;8862081]
Look at the Mountain Horse Venetias or Venezias or Venice or whatever they are called now. They look good, they are tough, and you can get them on sale very cheaply. I have a pair for my daily boots and I love them.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure these are the ones I alluded to earlier, the ones my DD has. Hers are several years old and are holding up very well.

[QUOTE=Dewey;8861006]
You could pick up a used pair reasonably on ebay. Another ebay bargain is the Ariat Crowne Pro. They are pull-ons and are discontinued, but they are beautiful boots and are very well-made. They also look great for pull-ons without the baggy ankle so many have. Maybe you’ll bet lucky and find your size. If you can find a new pair, you’ll probably get a bargain.
.[/QUOTE]

I can attest to this. Since I started showing again, I pulled my old Crowne Pros that are ~12 years old. Yes, they’re pull ons, but they were still attractive when I got them all polished up. I did upgrade to a new pair of Sergios, mainly because I wanted a pair with a spanish cut top and a zipper, and because I wanted to retire the Crowne Pros before they were worn out so I had a backup pair for an emergency! They are comfortable and nice if a little old-fashioned.

You can find the MH Venezia boots at an incredible price right now. Buy two pairs–school in one and keep the other for show! I just got mine a few weeks ago, so not sure how they’ll hold up, but they seem like a good combination of supple and sturdy.

I also really like my Ariat Volants (the originals with the red stripe) for schooling, and they are holding up very well (I’ve probably ridden in them a couple of times a week for a couple of years–I also have another pair of schooling boots). They’re also super comfortable for walking around in, though they are a bit hot.

ETA: I don’t think I have ever paid more than $200 for a pair of tall boots. I snap up boots I like at good prices, and then (a) I’m not heartbroken if a pair wears out faster than I’d like, and (b) I always have a backup pair (or, um, 3…).

ETA2: If you want to keep your current boots as schooling boots, you can have the insides patched where the leather is wearing out. Most good cobblers should be able to do this.