Unlimited access >

Good size for this Hunter pony?

Thanks!

If she is just looking to ride for fun, she will be probably be okay. I think she’s just the slightest bit too big, but not so much that it will cause problems. Looks like a cute, safe pony.
However, is there a reason why she can’t get a small horse or a large pony? While I think she could ‘get away’ with being big on the pony, I feel like a 14.2-15.2h horse/pony would be a perfect fit.

[QUOTE=iEquitate;7055713]
If she is just looking to ride for fun, she will be probably be okay. I think she’s just the slightest bit too big, but not so much that it will cause problems. Looks like a cute, safe pony.
However, is there a reason why she can’t get a small horse or a large pony? While I think she could ‘get away’ with being big on the pony, I feel like a 14.2-15.2h horse/pony would be a perfect fit.[/QUOTE]

Hi! Thanks for the quick response. No, there is no reason she cannot get a larger pony. We were just wondering what others think of her on him.

We both like riding ponies, so prefer to ride anything under 14.3hh. I have a Haflinger pony that is 14hh and we feel very good on him and enjoy riding him a ton.

I am very surprised at the weight of Crosby, since I used to own a 15.2hh TB that weighed just a bit more than 800 lbs (when we first got him off the track).

She looks too big on that pony to me.

[QUOTE=Dewey;7055762]
She looks too big on that pony to me.[/QUOTE]
Ok. Thanks for your opinion! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dewey;7055762]

Yes, I agree.

If he were her childhood buddy that she couldn’t bear to let go of, then I’d say they’re an okay pair. But I wouldn’t purchase that pony for her to ride regularly. She won’t hurt him, but her torso is too long and she will be more balanced on a larger pony.

Plus (you don’t want to hear this) if she gains any weight, then she will be too heavy for him. And teens routinely gain weight as they fill out during high school.

IMO, keep looking.

Most ponies were bred to carry weight. And I doubt if riding teenagers will “fill out”. Ponies are ridden in England by grownups so if you want that pony get him. I have a 16’2" hunter and I ride 2 ponies (13.2 and 12.2) for fun. The 12.2 jumps like a gran prix horse. Good luck.

[QUOTE=independentalter;7055781]
Yes, I agree.

If he were her childhood buddy that she couldn’t bear to let go of, then I’d say they’re an okay pair. But I wouldn’t purchase that pony for her to ride regularly. She won’t hurt him, but her torso is too long and she will be more balanced on a larger pony.

Plus (you don’t want to hear this) if she gains any weight, then she will be too heavy for him. And teens routinely gain weight as they fill out during high school.

IMO, keep looking.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I understand what you are saying. My Mom doesn’t think that we would get large as we tend to be closer underweight category than overweight. Thank you so much again, I appreciate all the time that everyone is spending on the comments!!

[QUOTE=kenyarider;7055791]
Most ponies were bred to carry weight. And I doubt if riding teenagers will “fill out”. Ponies are ridden in England by grownups so if you want that pony get him. I have a 16’2" hunter and I ride 2 ponies (13.2 and 12.2) for fun. The 12.2 jumps like a gran prix horse. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Yes, we have a Haflinger and he isn’t super stocky, but definitely can carry some weight! Actually, he has been driven in the past, too. Some of those jumper ponies definitely have speed & agility! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dewey;7055762]

Agreed.

[QUOTE=supershorty628;7055938]
Agreed.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thank you! :slight_smile:

I agree with the above posts, she does look slightly to tall for him, especially her torso, but I don’t think he would ever have any trouble carrying her! I’m almost 5’6" and have ridden ponies his height and even slightly shorter (training rides were too green/spooky for younger kids), and while yes I’m too big, they had no trouble carrying (or spooking with) me :wink: )

I think he looks a little small for her and you guys will probably fill out a bit as you get older. I also think he looks a little sticky behind, do you have a regular unedited video of him?

[QUOTE=Covergirl15;7056104]
I agree with the above posts, she does look slightly to tall for him, especially her torso, but I don’t think he would ever have any trouble carrying her! I’m almost 5’6" and have ridden ponies his height and even slightly shorter (training rides were too green/spooky for younger kids), and while yes I’m too big, they had no trouble carrying (or spooking with) me :wink: )[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! I don’t think he would have trouble carrying her at all, she’s just worried about looking silly! :slight_smile: Thank you again!

[QUOTE=enjoytheride;7056265]
I think he looks a little small for her and you guys will probably fill out a bit as you get older. I also think he looks a little sticky behind, do you have a regular unedited video of him?[/QUOTE]

Hi! I just uploaded a video that is unedited. I believe it shows W/T/C.

She is too big for that pony and too long in the torso which looks awkward. Keep looking.

Too big for the Pony. Sorry.

Her torso is almost as long as the Pony’s neck from withers to ears. That is going to mean a long release over a fence will put sisters chin at the Pony’s ears and seriously effect the Pony’s ability to lift in front over anything requiring an actual jump with all 4 feet off the ground at the same time not to mention making landing really uncomfortable for pony and rider.

If she wants to show at all there will be a suitability issue and alot of shows restrict Medium Ponies to younger kids. If she doesn’t want to show? She won’t hurt the Pony by riding it . But I don’t think much jumping, even for fun, will help her riding improve position wise since the size differential will not allow correct hand or leg position over the fences.

And, you know, she is going to fill out a bit figure wise in the next couple of years. Keep shopping.

Try a little bigger, my pony is 14.2 and I fit her well.