Unlimited access >

Good temperament stallion

I am more seriously considering breeding my mare. My main goal would be to produce a horse for me to retire with. This means a good disposition, kind and trainable are really key.
My mare is a reg warmblood. I would breed to a warmblood but if I really had my dream I would love to find a roan.
Roan probably means Quarter Horse but wb and QH can make a nice match can’t they? If the QH is at least level, thinking the roping types.
With temperament being one of the top factors any suggestions?

We have a yearling by Lone Star` Longmire who is a Bay Dun Morgan Stallion, I have never in person see Longmire but was overly impressed of a video of him working cattle in a pen as a three year old. We knew our yearling’s mother as we had a weanling from her before.

This current yearling is really an easy to work with horse who seems to know what you want him to do,

As a weanling of five months old he was delivered at Morgan Nationals. Since he was there it was decided to put him in the ring for the experience in the Sport Horse in Hand Stallions/Geldings, to every one’s surprise he did everything just as if he had years of ring experience, nothing phased him. There he was this little squirt in the middle of 35 head of aged experienced longtime show horses beating all the stallions/gelding and out scored the mares division to take the world championship Sport Horse in Hand at five months old

Lone Star Longmire, photo credit Prairie Hill Morgans (owner)

Longmire working cattle as three year old

2 Likes

The VS horses have incredible temperaments, and are roan. My friend has one, and he’s been SUCH an easy baby to break out and train.

I’d look for a HUS specialized one, if you’re looking to do english events.

https://www.vscodeblue.com/

2 Likes

My knabstrupper stallion sires foals with awesome ammy friendly temperaments and a great work ethic (I have references if you like). He could produce spots, varnish roan or a solid out of a solid mare.

Pending your mare’s registration foal could be registered with Knabstrupper or there are other options.

Drauma Hestar: Knabstrupper Stallion Pyxis av Drömmarna (draumahestarknabstruppers.com)

4 Likes

There are some roan Connemara stallions out there. Would you be interested in that cross? I’m be seen a few Connemara x Warmblood horses that turned out VERY nice and are super multipurpose athletes.

I also don’t know how tall you are, but there are definitely plenty of lovely roan Welsh pony stallions out there. And the Welsh x Warmblood cross has also been done by many people with great success. The big risk is that you end up with a “hony” who is between 14.3 and 15.1 However… there are plenty of adult ammys out there, and tween - teenaged kids who are a great fit for “honies” in certain disciplines.

3 Likes

That is one very nice looking Morgan. Is it difficult to import? I am in Canada.

I think you would have to ask the stallion owner if he would ship to Canada…and, if he does, sometimes FedEx messes up and doesn’t get it to your vet in time (fresh cooled) so you have to take that into account. Finding something in Canada might be more worthwhile to avoid having to go through customs.

1 Like

Your boy is gorgeous!

1 Like

I’m an in between size, 5’8 with longer legs. My mare is a smidge over 16H. 15.1 feels a bit small but it can depend on the horse, some ‘feel’ bigger than others.

My very limited exposure to Connemaras is they epitomize the pony attitude. :rofl:

I have seen a couple Welsh/WB crosses that worked out nicely. Like you say tho they were smaller.
Likely not much market in my area for what I am hoping to raise.

I have heard that the foal tends to follow the mare more than the stallion. So a WB mare bred to a Welsh, for instance, would be more WB ish than the opposite breeding.
Do you think this is a principle or myth?

Thank you! He really is a good boy and will go Training Level eventing this season. Super easy and his kids seem to be the same.

I will mention that my boy is located in Port Perry, Ontario Canada

2 Likes

Hmmm. It sounds like a Connemara x Warmblood or Welsh x Warmblood might be smaller than is ideal for you. Bummer. I’m 5’3” with shorter legs, so I love a nice “hony”

I think the “pony attitude” factor depends on the individual. There are some sharp welsh ponies… and there are also some lovely little hunter stallions who seem to cross nicely on larger mares. It just depends.

3 Likes

I think this also depends on the stallion and breed. Some stallions “stamp” their get more than others. If they have enough offspring on the ground, you will know a lot more about the stallion’s prepotency.

As far as temperament though, I do think the mare dominates. She not only contributes genetics, but also has the foal at her side up until weaning. Of course there are exceptions for many reasons… but in general, if you are breeding for a personal horse you plan on riding yourself one day, it’s wise to only breed a mare who has a temperament that you really really like. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

He’s truly lovely!

1 Like

Thank you for this caution. I have a hesitation with my mare because, since I have only had her a couple of years I am not 100% of how much of her quirks are due to training and how much to her own temperament.
Likely I will talk myself out of breeding again.

He is currently standing to the public by frozen semen (thru Anoka Equine).
Inquire if you are interested in breeding to Longmire:

psmotter@mlgc.com

(701)789-1048

1 Like

Our current long yearling is out of the same mare as our prior horse that was purchased as a weanling (he was lost in heart breaking pasture accident) .

The two colts were a lot alike but this current one is different in he is like his dad, bold but relaxed nothing seems to really challenge him. Both were very easy to work with, I credit much that to the breeder’s impute as they handle each and every foal with the expectation that all are to be good citizens.

2 Likes

The VS horses have incredible temperaments, and are roan. My friend has one, and he’s been SUCH an easy baby to break out and train.

https://www.vscodeblue.com/

Roan and amateur friendly? My mind immediately went to VS Code Blue.

The other VS horses aren’t known to be as amateur minded, but Code Blue is 10/10.

2 Likes

I generally agree that temperament definitely depends on the mare. Especially because she raises the foal.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk through her quirks. I won’t hard sell you like a lot of stallion owners but genuinely want to help you.

Pyx has been bred to a couple very quirky mares because he has such a great mind. Foals took after him surprisingly. That being said… they could have just gotten lucky … LOL

3 Likes

I’m coming here to say that if temperament is really your number one thing, then don’t breed your mare. I’m sorry, I know that’s not what you want to hear… But it’s the truth. You simply cannot expect a stallion to provide the temperament and overcome quirks. It’s a very expensive gamble with low odds in your favor.

There have been so many articles written about this. Written by smart people with lots more experience than you or me. Just save your money and buy a long yearling. They are the best bang for your buck, and you can do all kinds of temperament tests with them… Sort of like you can do with puppies.
Also, only buy a baby from a breeder who has multiple other babies on the Ground by the same stallion and out of the same Mare. I know that’s a tall order, but it can be done. Even though it does not guarantee anything. Full sisters, in full brothers can be wildly different… However, it does narrow the odds in your favor. And you are prioritizing temperament. Do not breed your quirky Mare. I don’t care if you breed it to the quietest thing on the planet.

And as an aside, I have known several warm blood quarter horse crosses. Most of them were terrible. It’s a very different muscle structure: quarter horses are short muscled, fast, twitch muscles, and the warm bloods are exactly the opposite. Three of the five I’ve known have had horrible, bucking problems. I know that’s a small number to build an opinion from, but it certainly has built mine. Also, that horse will have a way way lower resale value if it turns out that it doesn’t meet your expectations or desires.

Again, my apologies for being a Debbie downer, but I’ve been a trainer for 40 years. I’ve seen so many people breed their uninspected, somewhat problematic mares because they love them, but they want things changed… It almost never works. Seriously.

8 Likes