Unlimited access >

Gordon the barn cat brings a gift!

Briefly, Gordon was a problem feral in the middle of a city with spraying and attacking small dogs and cats at an upscale apartment complex. I succeeded in trapping him and took him to the Neuter Scooter. I planned to release him to my feral colony that eats at my stable and lives in the woods around my farm. Gordon, the vet discovered, was pretty beat up and need four weeks of confinement before release. After freeing Gordon, he decided to move into my hay loft. Gradually with twice daily feeding, Gordon has become more social but still keeps his guard up. Friday Gordon brought me a token of his gratitude.

33 Likes

I love Gordon… but that thing was alive!!! I would have been out of there pretty quick. :rofl:

2 Likes

Good kitty for bringing you breakfast! You do know that he gets a can of Fancy Feast for that.

9 Likes

Handsome Hunter !

1 Like

LOL - the few times my little Molly cat has managed to “hunt” a gecko or lizard on the catio (sometimes they are tiny enough to find a crack for entry), they are usually still alive and she brings it to me IN MY HOUSE :dizzy_face: so happily, while I dance around in a frantic scared voice telling her what a good girl she is!! Then I have to go find the stupid thing and its detached tail wherever it’s come off :nauseated_face: - I always put them outside and hope they go on to make better choices in life. Nothing like trying to scoop up a tail that is writhing all on its own, lol.

Glad this little guy was outside already but yes I would have been freaking out!

7 Likes

My mom’s cat does that. Sam brings friends into play, usually chipmunks. He gets bored when they’re half dead and then leaves them to sleep it off, generally in her dining room.

One of the first weeks of the COVID lockdown, Mom called, frantic, because Sam had brought in a chipmunk. Help!. Um, we live 500 miles away, even if the world wasn’t shut down.

8 Likes

It appeared to be a chipmunk. They seem to be ridiculously easy prey for cats, but then somehow get carried around alive – maybe they play dead? I can’t count the number of times one has scampered off after I rescued it from a cat, and while I know infection from cat bite is often fatal, I swear I have rescued a few individuals multiple times.

5 Likes

:smile:
You think Gordon expected you to recapture, kill (& eat?:anguished:) his gift?
Giving you the Thrill of the Hunt?
:pensive: It’d be a shame to disappoint him :crying_cat_face:

7 Likes

The drop and then the wack with the paw as chipper tried to exit stage right shouldn’t make me laugh… but it does.

Good boy Gordon

5 Likes

I definitely think Gordon was disappointed that I didn’t kill it with him or for him, and didn’t share the meal with him. Geesh, a guy brings dinner to his favorite gal and she won’t eat it. I suspect his feelings are hurt.

10 Likes

I’m surprised he didn’t eat it himself—my late kitties Teddy and Ella thought they were delicious. They would kill voles and field mice, but never ate them

Chipmunks? Only the tails were left uneaten. :frowning:

1 Like

Awwww that’s so sweet!!

1 Like

Gordon is taking to the country life quite nicely!

1 Like

Mine were bringing home baby bunnies sigh

I took care of a neighbor’s cat for a few weeks and opened the door one morning to find a squirrel’s tail perfectly laid out on the mat.

2 Likes

Gordon seems to be earning his keep.

Mine also like to bring things home alive. :rofl: Good thing our yellow lab takes care of it if the kitties lose interest in playing with their dinner.

I watched our large male cat walk by a male pheasant a couple weeks ago. I was hoping he’d take a “go” at him but he must have not been in the mood.

They have brought home a small weasel before. Those things FIGHT so if that’s a testament to a good hunter, I don’t know what is.

2 Likes