Unlimited access >

Gordon the once feral, now professional, barn cat takes his job to a new level

Gordon was a big-city nuisance cat terrorizing small dogs and cats at a high end apartment complex. Successfully trapped him, intending to neuter and release to live with my feral colony of 11 or so (all neutered) cats that frequent my feeding station on my farm, all living in different neighbors out buildings.

But the Neuter Scooter vet discovered Gordon had been injured and had a number of abscesses that needed to be drained and treated. Gordon was slow to respond to anesthesia recovery. As a result, he had to be confined for 4 weeks in my barn. I saw him daily in his cage to feed him --he was truly feral and highly aggressive. After 4 weeks, I opened the door, and wished him a good life.

Gordon didn’t leave. He took up residence in my hay loft and is there to greet me every morning feeding and night feeding, sometimes following me to the arena to work my horse. While not tame, he does allow the occasional ear scratch, but also will viciously attack my leg (tree hug) with teeth and claws when I walk by him too closely --good thing I wear boots!

Gordon patrols the area around the barn, attempting to chase off the other feral cats --but they are too clever for him --I can see them waiting behind trees while he slowly moves to the other side of the barn, then making a dash to the feeding station. A game of cat-and-mouse, I’m sure Gordon enjoys as he has no more city-living Yorkies to terrorize.

But Gordon has upped his game. He’s now going for a bigger prize than mice and chipmunks.

Gordon the Victor!

43 Likes

Yikes! Gordon! Enjoying the life of a country squire. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

OMG, that’s a huge raccoon!! Glad to see Gordon looking proud and unscathed after the encounter. Such a good watch cat.

3 Likes

Tell Gordon to leave coons alone! :scream_cat:
Barn I boarded at lost a huge male barncat to a coon.
Found him drowned at the edge of the pond.
No cat would willingly go there :crying_cat_face:

6 Likes

I don’t know what part of the world you live in but down is South Florida the raccoons are our number 1 rabies vector. Tell Gordon to be careful with them!

6 Likes

My goodness that’s a huge raccoon! Where I’m from they’re about the same size as the cats.
Well done Gordon!

1 Like

Gordon thinks he’s a cougar!! Go Gordon (but stay safe!)

4 Likes

Wow Gordon! Big game is not for everyone!! He does look a bit smirky after chasing the coon off. I bet he saw coons in the city alleys, knows how to deal with them.

4 Likes

Gordon is so handsome. I love his big ol’ head and handsome markings. And yes tell him to avoid raccoons. They are nasty and can easily tear apart an animal his size or larger apart.

4 Likes

He’s a very handsome boy!

1 Like