Unlimited access >

Gore trailers vs. 4 Star vs. Hawk vs. Adam vs. Hart?

I had a three horse, and I agree with everything that you’ve mentioned.

I’ve had a number of trailers over the years, and I was coming off of a Sundowner. The Sundowner was hot, and the hardware was junk. Everything about it was cheap, and I hated it. The Adams was superior in every way, and if I was to go out and buy another trailer today, it would be an Adams because they do everything right, and it is not ridiculously priced.

Tom and Neva Scheve were Trail-et employees that left to start EquiSpirit because they weren’t happy with the manufacturing. They literally wrote the book on horse trailer safety, " The Complete Guide to Buying, Maintaining, and Servicing a Horse Trailer." I doubt they were trying to cut corners in their construction. My EquiSpirit has a lot more safety features than a standard Hawk…like padding along the top rear opening in case a horse throws it’s head up while it’s exiting/loading.

4 Likes

Gore is a smaller manufacturer than the others you mention, with mainly regional distribution in the southeast around their facility in NC. I doubt you will get many responses from Gore owners compared to the other four you asked about. There are simply a much smaller number of us who own Gore trailers.

2 Likes

I LOVE my Gore 2H gooseneck! Had it for a few years with no problems at all other than routine maintenance.

I have a 2 horse bp straight load 4 star. About 6 years old. Quiet ride system and easy up ramp. I love it! it’s a great trailer. I did add a foot more to the standard tack room to make it bigger.

1 Like

I loooove my 4 star, 2 horse GN straight load. Bought used, its a 2005 or 2003… still looks new. My other half is a welder and he loved the welds on the 4 star and our Jamco. Not so much on the Hawk.

Personally I’d run from hawk, they are like paper, and break and get ruined so easily. I want something durable, especially with horses that are destructive.

it all comes down to wants and needs and what your vehicle can haul and your pocket book can afford.

2 Likes

My Hawk is 18 years old and looks like new. There is nothing weak about them, and I much prefer the steel frame and aluminum skin over all aluminum. Hawk builds a very safe, solid trailer.

3 Likes

GORE ALL THE WAY!! I have had Hart, Adams, and one other no name…and 4 Gores!! I only bought and sold them when I needed a different size or configuration. It has hauled ponies to 18 hand eq horses, grand prix jumpers, and even a mini or two.l NOTHING beats the Gore, and I agree you will not hear as much about them as it is a small company, but oh the workmanship, follow up, and durability!! My granddaughter has the current one, has hauled it across the country many times, and it is still pristine, back ramp and side ramp, big tack room in front, and room for plenty of extras in front of the horses. Love the coach windows, fans and vents at the horses heads, pin drop bars, all the padding…and hauls like it is not even there. You cannot go wrong with a Gore.

1 Like

Not mentioned here is Charmac, although you’d be hard put finding one in a two horse bumper pull. Mine is a 3 horse GN and is an absolute Beast! It pulls like a dream and you forget it’s even back there except for the loud sucking sound from your gas tank. They aren’t the lightest but are extremely well made and last forever. Mine is a 1991 and shows very little wear and tear for its age.

1 Like

I adore my Hawk, and several friends have had them for years. Mine is a 2014 or 2015 I think, and I haul 5-6 days/week spring, summer and fall. It still looks brand new. The horses love it. It’s easy to break down the interior if you need to. It’s quiet and rides well for the horses. I can’t say enough good things. I looked at 4Star too, but they seemed pricier than the Hawk for no discernible reason I could see.

4 Likes

Mr. Gore has been building horse trailers since 1965. I don’t think there’s anyone else in the country who has that much experience. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Putting in a good word for a Turnbow. Every trailer is custom made, and you can call and talk to the man who made it. I did exactly that after I bought a used Turnbo in California and had it shipped to me in Oregon. I literally called the number and talked to the owner of the company and he remembered the trailer, and HAD NOTES because they had done some additional work on it and he drove himself back to California for the old owners. Love love love my Turnbow 2 +1, mid tack w/weekender.

3 Likes

I’ve had a 4star and a featherlite bumper pull. I like my four star but it’s a heavier trailer and I’m not all that fond of the tack room. I will say my featherlite got a lot of miles put on it. About the only thing I would have change is not having the mangers. The tack room was big and roomy, the mats were light enough to drag out and clean. After about 12 years of owning it still held its value and I sold it for pretty much what I paid for it.

2 Likes

Eby- not mentioned here, has been building since 1938. They build an awesome trailer.

1 Like

Um, no, I meant the same individual person. As in Jackson Gore himself, the founder of the company. One person’s wealth of knowledge.

2 Likes

There are plenty of companies out there that have been building trailers for 50 years or more. Gore is not the only one.

Eby has been family owned and operated their entire existence, so yeah, there is a wealth of knowledge there.

Last I checked knowledge was an infinite thing, not restricted to one individual.

1 Like

The founder of Eby Trailers is dead. The founder of Gore Trailers is not. Management of both companies includes descendants of their founders. Both companies are still family owned. Is this a critical factor in selecting a trailer to buy?

2 Likes

No, but thinking that technical knowledge for building trailer is based on whether or not you are the company founder is not either.

I have seen Eby’s production facility, and know that they use very up to date and well respected technology when building their trailers. I also know that many, many ranchers use their trailers because they are built “bull strong”. I know first hand that nothing can destroy any piece of farm equipment like a bull! They do it just for fun!

There are many good, if not great, trailer companies out there, that make well built, safe trailers that last many years, especially if the owner makes the effort to take care of them.

One shouldn’t limit their search to someone who has been in business since the 1960s. Actually, with technology these days, especially with college majors specifically targeted to industries like welding and metal fabrication, one might think a newer company would be more open to changes in the industry.

1 Like

I’m not sure who pissed in your Cheerios today, but take your attitude elsewhere. I don’t need it.

1 Like