Unlimited access >

Got scammed on eBay

Okay it was only $25 but I’m still livid that eBay is letting the seller stay on there. I made the mistake of buying a halter from somebody who I didn’t go back and read all the feedback before I placed the order. Apparently they have done this before.
So the scam is they state they ship the item but they have this weird fake tracking number. When I asked about that they then submitted a USPS number. The item was never delivered but the tracking number shows it was. According to the post office this is a common scam where sellers will steal or fraudulenty obtain other tracking numbers showing a package was delivered in your town and it is another shipper in another recipient. However the post office refused to print something off showing that to me. So in a way although they complained about how this was a common scam they are not helping matters by not providing documentation.
The tracking number just says delivered in my town at a mailbox. So eBay has sided with the seller and will not give me a refund. So of course I am appealing and filing complaints with paypal. But it is a shock because when you read his feedback other people have had the same thing happen to them and yet eBay lets them stay on there.
I mean I don’t think eBay should always automatically side with buyers because I sell a lot of things on there too and I wouldn’t want somebody to make a false accusation. But when the postmaster says this is a scam on eBay just shrugs their shoulders and this guy has had other complaints that is a concern. Lesson learned.

5 Likes

that sucks; I’ve had to control myself and don’t buy anything advertised on Facebook anymore. I’ll get the stuff and it’s crap. Hope PayPay comes thru for you

2 Likes

Darn. Scammers are creative.

I have to wonder how much work it takes to find a tracking number in the right time frame for your town.

2 Likes

So I called eBay this morning and basically thew a fit. It is reminiscent of on Big Bang Theory when Raj was mad and Penny said “and that is how a girl causes a scene”
They immediately issued a refund probably more to get me off the phone than anything. But they also recommended I file a complaint against the seller so they can investigate all the other complaints against the seller and hopefully maybe they will be removed from the site.

15 Likes

I was going to say they have to report the seller, even if they get a refund etc. Otherwise its all behind the scenes and they don’t know its a pattern.

1 Like

Why do you have to file a complaint against the seller for them to bother to look at all the other complaints against the seller?

3 Likes

Probably because the customer complaint triggers the process, and gets sent to the right team to do that.

5 Likes

Yes, the way eBay described it after my case was closed I need to go back in and open up separate complaint against the seller so they can investigate further especially looking at their other feedback comments.

2 Likes

I always obliterate the shipping bar codes and numbers on the labels…along with my name.
Now I know why. If only those scammers could use their resolve and intelligence for good…

Susan

1 Like

This exact scam happened to me too. But I got a refund from PayPal because my postmaster wrote a letter to PayPal (which I forwarded to them by email) – letter stated that item ‘weight’ did not coincide with the weight of the item I ordered, AND that some small package (that weighed mere ozs.) was indeed delivered to an address in my town but NOT to my address = tracking number etc. was bizarro.

Postmaster begrudingly wrote this letter which I found appalling – like he couldn’t be bothered! That is until he realized I wasn’t going to let this go and that scams would continue to proliferate without the post office stepping in to do the right thing.

You deserved a refund and you got it – happy ending after jumping through hoops. What a world!

1 Like

Well I’m glad your postmaster was willing to write something. Mine wouldn’t put anything in writing. In fact another guy in line was also there about getting scammed on ebay. So I suggested to them that perhaps in the future they might want to cooperate with trying to shut down the scammers because without some type of definitive proof from the post office they’re just going to keep doing it.
That is a good idea though if you can see the weight on the tracking information and especially if it is way off from the item that was originally ordered that is just another way to prove it’s correct item was not sent.
Like I said in the future I would definitely go back and read all of the feedback from the seller! Thanks for posting your experience!
When the eBay customer rep answered the phone they said thank you for your 24 years of service and then I basically lit them up since as a loyal customer I deserve them to at least read my complaint and do something about it, lol

1 Like

I successfully appealed a decision with Ebay. I ordered a bit from a private person in the UK. The person didn’t package it well and it fell out somewhere along the way. All I got was an empty envelope. I just had to sign a piece of paper saying that I was being truthful that I didn’t get the item.

2 Likes