Unlimited access >

GPA vs. Samshield Helmets (Poorly Fitted Helmet)

I currently own a GPA First Lady helmet despite the fact that Dover Saddlery didn’t fit me right.

After purchasing the helmet in the correct size I didn’t realize until my trainer said something that the helmet isn’t the best fit for my head shape. I can stick a finger or two up both sides (left and right) of my helmet but it fits snugly to my forehead and back of my head with my hair up.

I do really love my First Lady Helmet because of it’s sleekness and the way it looks but I’m having second thoughts because of the fit and my safety.

If i were to replace it, I was looking at the Samshield which has the same material as the GPA’s.

Do you think Dover would take the helmet back?
Can anybody tell me how they like the Samshield’s and what the fit is like?
Also how vented are they in the summer?
Do you think I should return my helmet in exchange for a Samshield?

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7469175]
I currently own a GPA First Lady helmet despite the fact that Dover Saddlery didn’t fit me right.

After purchasing the helmet in the correct size I didn’t realize until my trainer said something that the helmet isn’t the best fit for my head shape. I can stick a finger or two up both sides (left and right) of my helmet but it fits snugly to my forehead and back of my head with my hair up.

I do really love my First Lady Helmet because of it’s sleekness and the way it looks but I’m having second thoughts because of the fit and my safety.

If i were to replace it, I was looking at the Samshield which has the same material as the GPA’s.

Do you think Dover would take the helmet back?
Can anybody tell me how they like the Samshield’s and what the fit is like?
Also how vented are they in the summer?
Do you think I should return my helmet in exchange for a Samshield?[/QUOTE]

First off, sleek is not a word I would every associate with the first lady! :lol:

In answer to your questions…

If you have worn it I doubt Dover would take the helmet back. They have no way of knowing what your head shape is. And even if they did, you came in with a specific product you wanted and they gave it to you (as opposed to asking their advice on which helmet brand would fit your head best.) I’m assuming you ordered online since it sounds like you couldn’t try the sizes on first.

I love my Samshield and find them to be less round than the GPAs but more round than the Charles Owen. It sounds like you need something more oval shaped, so a Samshield might work. I would try not just that, but a few different brands and see what you like. They don’t look at all vented but they are the coolest helmet I have worn. They have an indent in the front so there is no contact with your forehead and the air flows through the helmet and keeps your head cool.

I think if your helmet is returnable and you find something that fits you better, than of course you should go for it. It sounds like you had this idea of the First Lady in mind based on looks and went for it without trying it or anything else on. Definitely not the best way to go about helmet shopping. Is there no tack store near you where you can try on a bunch of different helmets?

As an aside, I am not fond of the First Ladys for any head shape because I have seen them come off of rider’s heads numerous times and dangle around their necks by the chin strap. Very scary!

FWIW, Dover should accept your return. Period. From their website:

"Dover Saddlery is proud to offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of our products. We stand behind the quality of our products, and should you not be satisfied with your purchase, simply return it and we will refund, replace or exchange it for you.

100% Satisfaction Guaranteed - Your Money Back Any Time, for Any Reason."

It doesn’t fit is a perfectly valid reason!

I have the Samshield and absolutely love it. It is the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn. I love that it fits my head and doesn’t looked plopped on top like my CO does.

You can get the Samshield with different inserts to help with the fit which is great!

Good luck with the exchange and riding a helmet that’s perfect for you!

What happened with the Speed Air, it sounds like you had the same issue with that helmet, did you exchange the Speed Air for the First Lady? If it’s already been exchanged once, I’m not sure if you would be able to exchange it again. And, if you were having the fit issue with the Speed Air, did you ask at Dover about the slipping if the First Lady fit the same way and had the same issues? It seems a little unfair to say that Dover Saddlery didn’t fit you right when you posted an earlier thread saying that the Speed Air that you wanted to exchange for the First Lady didn’t fit you correctly, and you asked if the First Lady would fit the same way. Posters suggested the two helmets would fit similarly and should not wiggle from side to side or up and down.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?416309-Helmet-help-and-suggestions-for-the-Hunter-Jumper-Ring

Did you try on the Samshield or the CO or any other helmets when you were at Dover or just got the First Lady?

Have you tried the Samshield on, do you know that it will work better for your head shape? If you are going to exchange your helmet, you should try on whatever new helmet you get and make sure that it fits you properly. If you are unsure how to determine if it fits you properly, get the help of a certified helmet fitter. Your helmet shouldn’t wiggle from side to side or up or down when properly fitted. The most important thing about a helmet is that it fits you correctly and protects your head! Appearance and style are secondary.

Did you go to a Dover store or their website? With a Samshield definitely go to a store, especially since the padding can get switched out for the best fit.

Right, I went with the First Lady because it had a better shape for me than the Speed Air since I wanted to stick with GPA, but still not right. I haven’t tried the Samshield on but I have tried on the AYR8 and found that it’s too shallow.
I didn’t try anything else on since when I got the First Lady I had never heard of the Samshield.

[QUOTE=two sticks;7469444]
What happened with the Speed Air, it sounds like you had the same issue with that helmet, did you exchange the Speed Air for the First Lady? If it’s already been exchanged once, I’m not sure if you would be able to exchange it again. And, if you were having the fit issue with the Speed Air, did you ask at Dover about the slipping if the First Lady fit the same way and had the same issues? It seems a little unfair to say that Dover Saddlery didn’t fit you right when you posted an earlier thread saying that the Speed Air that you wanted to exchange for the First Lady didn’t fit you correctly, and you asked if the First Lady would fit the same way. Posters suggested the two helmets would fit similarly and should not wiggle from side to side or up and down.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?416309-Helmet-help-and-suggestions-for-the-Hunter-Jumper-Ring

Did you try on the Samshield or the CO or any other helmets when you were at Dover or just got the First Lady?

Have you tried the Samshield on, do you know that it will work better for your head shape? If you are going to exchange your helmet, you should try on whatever new helmet you get and make sure that it fits you properly. If you are unsure how to determine if it fits you properly, get the help of a certified helmet fitter. Your helmet shouldn’t wiggle from side to side or up or down when properly fitted. The most important thing about a helmet is that it fits you correctly and protects your head! Appearance and style are secondary.[/QUOTE]