Unlimited access >

Graded races & weights

I’ve been following a discussion on FB about Tacitus & other good, but not solid G1 horses.
It’s been… interesting to say the least.

One person mentioned horses would be given extra/higher weights if they raced & won primarily in G2 & G3 races.
I always had the understanding that extra weights were assigned in handicapped races.
Google doesn’t show me any info on when & how extra weight is added & in what races said weights can be added.

Could someone explain it please

1 Like

You are correct that different weights are assigned in a handicap race. But some stakes races (not handicaps) are run with “allowance” conditions. That is, a preset weight is deducted (allowed) for horses that have not won a stakes race or a graded stakes race during a specified time. It varies based on the race, and the stakes conditions will tell you specifically what it is.

For example, the conditions for the Grade 3 Excelsior S. read:
“Weight, 124 lbs. Non-winners of a Graded Sweepstake at a mile or over in 2021 allowed 2 lbs.; of a Graded Sweepstake at a mile or over since August 1, 2020 or $55,000 at a mile or over other than state bred in 2021 allowed 4 lbs.; of a Sweepstake at a mile or over other than state bred since August 1, 2020 allowed 6 lbs.”

I am not sure if there are any races that make a distinction between G1 and G2/G3 races, though.

1 Like