Unlimited access >

Grass glands

Anyone? We have a vet appointment Thursday.

He’s the only one who has swollen glands (out of the 5 horses on the same pasture)

Horse also had strangles in 2019. He’s basically been a fancy pasture ornament since. I’m wondering if it’s still something funky from the strangles or some weird abscess.

If they’re soft, and not bothering him, just pull him off the pasture for a couple days and see if that resolves it. Keep an eye out for weird behavior, like going off feed, nasal discharge or fever. Grass glands aren’t well understood yet (at least that’s my understanding) but experts seem to think it may have to do with sugar levels in early grass, or pollen reactions.

2 Likes

My vet said to watch temp when these show with no other signs. If it goes up, then call vet.

1 Like

Mine gets that on pasture but much more than that. I think he’s eating something that is triggering an allergic type reaction as it’s more frequent/severe when there’s less grass. He got it nibbling weeds along the fence line this spring. :roll_eyes: I usually dose with antihistamines once or twice and it goes down. The one time his entire jaw line, cheek and throatlatch was an amorphous blob that looked rather like a child’s drawing of a horse he got maxed doses of antihistamines for three days.

I don’t think the other horses are not eating whatever it is, just that they aren’t sensitive to it.

1 Like