Unlimited access >

Gravedigger racking horses

Any thoughts or experiences with Gravedigger bloodlines? It seems like a popular bloodline in this area as most walking horses stallions and spotted saddle horses seem to be related to him.

Any generalizations about the temperament and bloodlines of these particular horses?

Horrible name. Worse than The Pusher. I prefer gaited names like Go Boy’s Midnight and the Bourbons and Rexes.

Can anyone imagine an eventer or racehorse named Gravedigger? lol

1 Like

Yes that was my reaction too! I hate the name. But I’ve been looking at gaited stallions in my area and it keeps popping up.

I definitely wouldn’t name a foal after that. No matter how popular the bloodline is.

Perhaps he is named after the Grave Digger Monster truck racing. But still not a great name for a horse.

3 Likes

Two grandsons of Out on Parole.

Both are very forward, bottomless, honest, brave, particular, sensitive, smart, and occasionally emotional.

Names are irrelevant. It’s like the old saw, you don’t ride the head :wink: the whole horse is what you purchased, not just a pretty face.

4 Likes

But a horrid name on a good horse? Nah.

1 Like

No experience with the line of horses, just watched some videos of them. For sure you are unlikely to be the last horse in the group! Horses appear to move evenly, very smooth for the rider at any gait or speed.

Check horse for his shoeing package, you don’t want to buy complicated. You need to have a good gaited horse Farrier available to care for his feet. Western horse Farrier may want to trim gaited horse too short and use too small of shoes. Not used to (even if small) horses with big hooves, big movers. Avoid horses who pace or trot, not desired in GOOD gaiting horses. Trot should not be seen in any gaited breed except Saddlebreds who have a true trot.

Strange dark humor in the name. I always thought it came from “You are taking your life in your hands to ride such a fast horse!”

1 Like

You don’t need special shoes on a good, naturally racky or walky horse. I rode the hair off of a client’s racking mare barefooted. She was a real weasel of a little thing, ugly tempered and ugly as a mud fence, too, but she would rack on for days lol

8 Likes

I don’t mind the name, actually… I always thought it was b/c of his action in the front. I didn’t realize the two above were related to him; they’re two of the best horses I’ve ever had the honor of meeting.

My husband shoes our gaited horses. Nothing special, just shoes to the foot. They’re barefoot most of the year.

3 Likes

My guys are drug dealers, not gravediggers :wink: they are not related to the racking horse.

Here is The Gravedigger’s pedigree. His own sire’s name is the reason for his name, apparently.

So much standardbred in him accounts foe what looks to be a very easy going guy.

2 Likes

Wonder if those iconic horse names have a professional wrestling/ monster truck background. A la The Undertaker. And the Grave Digger monster truck.
Your horses are lovely.

1 Like

My mare is pretty fast and tends to end up out front at anything faster than a walk. At a walk she ends up last as she walks slow. My friends ride endurance and we always end up way out front, but their little arabians can handle twists and turns a lot better than my mare who does best on straight aways. But it depends on what group I’m riding with… My mare is perfectly happy to poke slowly along at a walk and let everyone else ride off without her.

I think it’s a good cross as far as getting an excellent gait. I’m debating on going to meet the stallion. It might add too much height. And do I want something that fast? Unfortunately it’s slim pickings as far as stallions (especially ones that meet my criteria).

4horses Your mare sounds like a very pleasant ride, happy where you put her in a group. Do the other horses have such a bigger over stride at the walk that they leave her? Sometimes looking at the horse in person, can help you decide which stallion to choose. A nice mind is a great feature on a horse! Is there nothing available with shipped semen? We got a much better quality of stallion with shipped semen. Nothing usable for our wants locally.

2 Likes

Well that’s a big Nope! :-1:. Thanks :wink:

1 Like

I like the stuff at the very end…

Speed Racking horse Smooth and clocked at 25 MPH Amazing!! (youtube.com)

Maybe I’m in the minority but I love the name Gravedigger for a racking horse

6 Likes

If the horse is only doing 25mph, he is not a “fast” racker. Husband shod Speed Rackers for a Trail Rider and his wife, who bought and then resold their horses to other Trail Riders. Husband was supposed to “work his magic” to get each horse faster, usually worked out well. Husband came up behind the guy headed towards his farm, then they proceeded to race down the road. Horse was doing 35mph, which husband told the man after arriving at the farm. New horse, needed new shoes. Husband said horse was unbalanced, wearing keg shoes, said he bet that horse could go LOTS faster with proper shoes! Man thought horse had topped out at 35mph, so they bet shoeing price on horse going faster. The wife rode the reshod horse, liked going fast! Husband drove beside her for the test run. She got horse up to 40mph! Husband went back to collect his pay. Then wife kept that horse because he could go faster than husband’s horses!! Ha ha

The couple evidently had a lot of fun riding fast as a pair on the State trails, passing other gaited horse riders. The gaited horse folks like to be cool, ride together a bit, then both start gaiting faster with the “slow horse” getting left behind. It can be a real competition, with riders slouched in the saddle, looking like NOTHING is going on, while horses are past you before you can blink! I always think they should say “Do you have any Grey Poupon?” with a straight face, before blasting off. Ha ha

1 Like