Grazing muzzles - please help 😢

A good overview of muzzles on the market:

1 Like

Someone posted about this one:

I’m thinking of trying it. My mare tore her GG off and scraped her face all to heck in the process so I’m not super psyched about putting it back on. I like the FF but she figured out how to eat out of the side. I’m wondering if this one might be the one …

That’s kind of speedy for basically a hay net on a halter. I bet you could easily make something similar for far less than that. I think I will give it a try and see what I can come up with! Thanks for posting that link though.

2 Likes

I had the same thought! Maybe I should see if I can make something similar. I have plenty of hay nets with holes in them that I could donate to the cause.

Well now THAT’s an idea for what to do with my Old Man when he’s in the dry lot, to try and restrict his access to hay, that isn’t as heavy as the GG!

My BO feels so sorry for my Old Man, but that’s tough nuts. She says he can’t breathe with it on, I remind her that he’s like a fat kid in front of cake - he breathes like that when you are preparing his grain, too. He’s just frustrated. Too bad, so sad, fatty.

Keep us posted on how you like it if you purchase. I like the lightweight design but worry about it getting easily caught on something and wonder if they can get too much with the holes in the net if they get creative.

I use GG but it is heavy.

1 Like

I saw this on Instagram and personally think it looks awful. I’d imagine it would be pretty irritating to the horse and I don’t understand why it has a hole at the bottom of it when the whole thing is holes to begin with. What is the point of the netting around the whole nose lol. Its like a basketball net on a halter for $90. NINETY!

There are some ideas online on how to get a horse to stop eating out of the side of the flexible filly that you could try.

I just bought the Sweet Net grazing muzzle and have used it exactly two days. Two days of extreme heat and humidity.

You select the size of the “O” ring opening at the bottom based on how restrictive you want the forage intake to be.

The Sweet Net material is so soft, not one bit like the plastic ropes used to make hay nets. It’s not hot on the horse’s nose in any way and it has not rubbed any skin.

I will only complain about the cost if it falls apart with daily daytime wear after 90 days. It is giving my metabolically impaired equine the freedom to be out of a small run and in a larger dry lot with buddies.

To be continued…:blush:

5 Likes

@SLW What size hole did you get?

My mare was like that with my original set but if I adjusted the wings to be more clustered on the side and open on the top, we resolved it. Thinline said we can ziptie the wings together but the one time I tried that she took a chunk out of her lip so not doing that again. We’re on year 3 of a FF muzzle and it’s mostly controlling the belly (as much as we can coming out of stall rest and her metabolism slowing to a crawl).

The 2” hole. I needed the most restrictive.

1 Like

Watching for your follow-up (if you can, PM me w/update) with interest.
If your Sweet Net lasts longer than that 90-days - which seems like a short trial :thinking: - I’d like to try it for my mini.

1 Like

I gave an update above. Is there something specific you want to know?

I just grabbed that 90 day number out of the air but I plan on using it 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. I hope it holds up to 900 hours of wear and tear. :hugs:

I’d like it to last years, not months for $90.
I have a Muzzle Graveyard in my barn.
Where the rubber opening has been worn so it’s more a Suggestion than a restriction :flushed:
Also concerned that netting could get caught on something.
Let me know how it works for your Hannibal Lecter.
Here’s mine:

1 Like

A muzzle graveyard. :joy::joy::joy: Your guy is cute!! I had minis that I drove years ago, total blast!

I agree, it is possible that any muzzle can become caught on something. I make sure she can’t get to her water bucket, only a trough, when she’s wearing it.

Im taking the $90 expense in stride because in the scheme of the expense of bute, meds to treat the metabolic disorders or radiographs because of a founder concern, that muzzle fee is cheap.

3 Likes

SLW, I bought this grazing muzzle , started using it first of June. I got the smallest size ring also, 2 inch. So far it is holding up well and she accepted it very easily. I bought the Flexible Filly , but it seems so balky, that I didn’t use it.
Hopefully, this holds up one season for us, I really like how light weight it is. A friend had one of those black basket style and her horse kept getting rubs even with sheepskin, etc on it. Plus they are super hot in the summer. She did buy one of these and her horse also accepted it easily. So far so good!

2 Likes

Great to read this!

It’s lightweight, doesn’t rub and curtails munching. That means time out of the 30’ run and into the larger dry lot, win!!

2 Likes

I do wonder since one of the standard and smallest sizes is 2 inch , how much it does restrict them getting grass? 2 inches is a bit larger than the hole sizes of all the other grazing muzzles out there.
My goal is to help my horse lose weight and bring her Insulin number way down. She pasture is not super rich with a ton of grass, but it’s still grass .

2 Likes

Gosh, I don’t know how to measure how much grass they can injest, great question.

That muzzle didn’t look like it would significantly reduce intake after a certain learning curve (especially if you’ve seen an IR horse or two just speed eat their way through a nibble net!).

Too be fair, green guard is also a muzzle that doesn’t restrict intake like the single hole style muzzles, but you can address that problem with the creative application of duct tape. The net muzzle just screams ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET with no way to slow it down.

1 Like