Unlimited access >

Great Horse Movie Scenes

Gosh, thank you for this very interesting bit of information. If I knew how to do a clip of that scene, I’d add it. That pony is just the coolest… and the stunt riding is very good, too.

1 Like

there are actually several mentions of ‘that appy’ in these threads! I don’t quite know how you would find them, but they are here somewhere!

1 Like

Every Belmont, as a sort of toast to the end of the TC, I watch the clip of his Belmont win. I cry every single time.

4 Likes

This will forever be my vote. It gives me chills, too.

Say what you will about Disney, but they KNOW HOW to bring home a sports movie based on real events (Secretariat, Miracle on Ice, Cool Runnings, etc.)

3 Likes

The camera work in the opening credits with all the side head shots of the galloping team as well as the buggy being chased by Chuck Connors and the thugs with outstanding stunt work? Might remind you of another film with similar shots in director William Wylers next film that began shooting as Big Country wrapped. Ben Hur.

2 Likes

I wish Chuck Connors hadn’t been a villain.:grinning:. He sure did it well, though.

1 Like

I had only ever seen him as Lucas McCain on the Rifleman. I loved that show. I have only discovered the Big Country in the last couple of years. The cast was phenominal. Charlton Heston as a sort of bad guy, Burl Ives, won an Oscar for his great performance. the music was just great!

https://www.google.com/search?q=big+country+movie+theme+song&rlz=1C1RXMK_enUS1067US1067&oq=music+fro+the+movie+the+Big+country&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCggDEAAYgAQYogQyBggAEEUYOTIICAEQABgWGB4yCggCEAAYgAQYogQyCggDEAAYgAQYogTSAQkxNTYzMWowajeoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:fdee309e,vid:AQTH3a0mjR8,st:0

1 Like

I felt Charlton Heston redeemed himself after he and Gregory Peck had the fistfight😀. I, too, loved The Rifleman. Chuck Connors was a fine, upstanding man in that show. I could t believe what a creep he could be!

1 Like

And, yes! The music was outstanding. Somewhere I read the music is what made the original Magnificent Seven so great.

1 Like

absolutely true! Mag Seven is a good movie, with great stars, but the thing you remember from it is the sensational music. I think it is in the top 10 of best soundtracks of all time. I think it is possibly the best ever. Elmer Bernstein wrote it. He also wrote the music from The Great Escape, (which was used in the winning ride from the 2012 Olympics.) And add to that, To Kill a Mockingbird. He wrote some great music. I have also noted that Robert Vaughn (the Man from UNCLE) was in Mag 7, David McCallum (Illya Kuryakin,) was in the Great Escape. Several of them, McQueen, Bronson, Coburn were in both.
Yul Brenner was so cool, he was used in Westworld.

In case there is anyone on the planet who isn’t familiar with this music…
https://www.google.com/search?q=music+from+magnificent+seven&rlz=1C1RXMK_enUS1067US1067&oq=music+from+Magni&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgBEAAYgAQyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQABiABDIHCAIQABiABDIICAMQABgWGB4yCAgEEAAYFhgeMggIBRAAGBYYHjIICAYQABgWGB4yCggHEAAYChgWGB4yCAgIEAAYFhgeMggICRAAGBYYHtIBCTEwODY0ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:4b69c28.98443807,vid:yulmgTcGLZw,st:0

1 Like

Elmer B wrote Ghostbusters too.

2 Likes

Ben Hur, the chariot scene and the lead-up. There is a “paddock” scene, a post parade, and the actual race.

4 Likes

DH and I have gotten to where we can ID Bernstein, John Williams and Hans Zimmer in a matter of seconds. Those three are the triumvirate of movie music.

Gonna look like a Magnificent Seven geek for a second bc of a “making of” I saw. It got cast frantically because of a looming actor strike so it is interesting all the stars they got. Steve McQueen kept trying all these tricks to steal the scene from Yul Brynner and finally Brynner told him, “Go ahead. All I have to do is take my hat off and no one will notice you.” :rofl: The strike also hurt them getting a script, but man, does it have some of my favorite lines in it!

3 Likes

I met Chuck Connors once. It was at Pickwick Stables in Burbank, and I was with my “uncle” Ray. Ray was a good friend of my father’s, a director (his biggest credit was “Streets of San Francisco” some years after this event), and he took my sister and me riding when we were kids. Ray introduced us to Chuck Connors, who was sitting down when we first saw him. He stood up to shake hands with everyone, and at age ten, I came up to his belt buckle. That was a tall, tall man! He was also very pleasant to us.

Rebecca

3 Likes

Very cool!!!’

1 Like

Most of my faves have been covered (Phar Lap, Man From Snowy River, Black Stallion) :smiley:

Here’s another classic from one of my all-time favorite movies, Auntie Mame. I wish this clip had the whole foxhunt. I can’t not laugh when I watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHsq5_deP2I

4 Likes

:clap::grinning:
LOVE this Auntie Mame!
Lucille Ball came nowhere near Rosalind Russell’s Mame!

ETA:
Found the whole Mame movie :grin:
The foxhunt fun starts @ 58min in

5 Likes

The beach scene in Glory always gets me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQDAXol5T4

Beautiful soundtrack on that movie, too.

Yes, he should have taken the bridle off, but it was still a good scene.

2 Likes

That is one of the absolute funniest movies ever. And that foxhunt :rofl:

RR played Mame on Broadway and the film version was written with her in mind.

2 Likes

Okay, if we’re going funny, here, I love Keeping Up Appearances horse scene. Hyacinth pretends she knows how to ride. :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ius9S0hbdfw

10 Likes