Unlimited access >

Greater Swiss Mountain Dog? - She's here!

Just like with horses. I am more than aware, but thank you. :wink:

1 Like

I just found a recent ad on craigslist for one that needs a new home. Hope it finds one…

I know this thread is old (And now I’m wondering if the OP ever got a Swissy?) but I thought I would chime in in case anyone else is looking at getting one. I’ve never had one myself, but the horse breeder I spent my summer in Germany with also happened to be a dog breeder of GSMDs. Actually the largest population of Swissies is in Germany!

Their history was as an all purpose farm dog. One of the hold-overs of this is that the bark is real! And big! It’s bred in there as a warning bell when someone (or something) visits the farm. It should not, however, be accompanied by aggressive behaviour. Still, something to keep in mind on how well that suits your living situation.

i would say they are on the high side of moderate energy and intensity. They will need to do things to channel their worker energy - all the better if it can be a lot of outdoor stuff and time with you - but I don’t think it tends to come out as neurotic/hyper/goofy as much as some of the breeds that top the energy and intensity scales. They will settle well when you get in the house… very likely right near you, so if you aren’t ready to trip over a very large dog from time to time, it might not be your breed :grin:

Just bringing up this old thread!! We did not end up getting a pup in 2019 as COVID hit and we were worried about adding another mouth to feed/health care etc. Then once things settled a bit, our lab was just that bit older and we didn’t think it was fair to have a pup bounce off of him so we waited.

We had to put our 14 year old lab down recently as he had cancer and was not doing well. The easiest and hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, but it was the right choice.

Oddly enough, the GSMD breeder that I reserved a pup from back in 2019 (and then unfortunately cancelled), had 1 female pup left from a recent litter. So I enquired, spoke with her on the phone a bit more to get some breed history, pup history, spoke with another friend who had purchased a pup from them 10 months ago (with amazing reviews!!) and we decided to purchase her.

There are actually 2 females but someone else gets first pick and they want to meet both pups and then they will choose. We will come later in the day and have the remaining female.

They are a well known kennel with some really nice stock (they also have a large raw food company that they started in the 90’s. They breed Swissys, Berners, Corgis and Frenchies). They just imported the male from Russia and co share him with an owner in the US. This is the first crossing that she’s had of this pair and she is very happy with the pups. She said she is show quality and we could show her (ha ha! Not going to happen). She said she would have kept one but since it was the first litter, she doesn’t usually do that and will keep a pup from the next litter.

We pick her up this Saturday and I’ll post lots of pictures once we get her! I do have some pictures now, but its between the 2 girls and since I’m not sure what we are getting, I’ll post as soon as I know.

6 Likes

They did mention the bark and having her well socialized as a pup. I plan on taking her to lots of different places while she’s young so shes used to different situations and other dogs. My neighbor is a dog trainer/walker and I have her booked 2 x a week to take her out with some other dogs as we do live on a quiet farm. Once summer hits, we plan on going to horse shows so she will get a lot of different faces and dogs for sure! I just want to prepare her for that right now, so will start early with her.

Our Berner loved to sit and sleep on our feet. All 115lb of him! He thought he was a lap dog, thats for sure.

Luckily we do live on 70 acres and have 4-6 horses currently. So she would be with me while I’m mucking and doing farm things. So lots of running around and hopefully enjoying life!

2 Likes

In my experience this is actually pretty unusual for a breeder not to keep a pup if they’re confident in the cross. My experience lies with hunting dogs though.

I’m not sure as I didn’t ask her, but another breeder I spoke with said it was common as some breeders think they could retain something from the last breeding. I have no idea if that’s a wives tale or if this breeder even believes this - just something I was told.

She was very honest and even brought up the points of seizures which can be found within the breed. She mentioned any breeder who says it isn’t, is a liar. She did mention she had it in one of her breeding males that surfaced when he turned 6 and she cut him from her breeding program right away.

1 Like

Regina Schmitter in Ontario breeds Entelbuchers. I’m afraid I don’t have contact info for her though because she no longer operates her riding school and that’s how I knew her.

I CANNOT WAIT TILL SATURDAY!!!

I am sorry you had to put down your lab. But that is amazing that the breeder had a pup that needed a home. Kismet!

Looking forward to seeing your puppy pictures!!! <3

3 Likes

Well, I’m totally in love and Harley already has me wrapped around her little paw. She’s bold, brave and sassy. Just a bundle of puppy energy right now and is fitting in like a little star! She’s been great in the house with very little accidents (I’ve never had one so easy to house train!!) and she is learning to crate train (not her favourite but she’s doing well with it). She’s much smarter than I though she would be and I think we may have our hands full!! But our hearts are full as well <3

We’ve had some cold days here (-21C this am) so she’s not a fan of being out long (neither am I) and she has been introduced to the ponies and the barn. I’m back at work this morning - its going to be a long day and I miss her already lol!

Here are some pictures from this weekend. And no, she isnt allowed on the couch but I just couldn’t help myself! I’ve created a monster already :smiley:

21 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

What? Not allowed on the couch? What fun is that!

She’s adorable. Have fun. My puppy is 16 weeks now and it’s been a lot of fun (and work). I’m simultaneously wanting it to be over and hoping he doesn’t grow up too fast. (My dogs are just waiting for the puppy teeth to fall out).

2 Likes

I know right?!!! Hubby is very firm with that (I’m not so much) but I need to give and take a little on things so I just go and sit on the floor with her and she sleeps on my lap (when shes not too busy attacking me or my innocent toes!!).

And I know the feeling. I love puppies but I cant wait for them to grow up and be trained already! I’m sure that how parents feel as well lol! They are a lot of work, but is rewarding and fun. Who needs sleep anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m a shelter dog person, because personally I have no need for a purebred (and don’t get me wrong, I am NOT against responsible breeders! It’s just my personal needs), and I target the 4 month range. I want those needle teeth gone or nearly gone!

Enjoy the shark mouth stage though hahaha

2 Likes

What a gorgeous pup. Thanks for the pics.

Susan

2 Likes

OOMG!!! She is gorg!!

And those puppy puds! She is going to be a big girl. Please keep posting photos. And I am with your hubs, I dont let my dogs on the couch… mostly because they are big and take up most of the room. :rofl: But I do share my bed with them once they turn one yrs old.

Congrats on your new family member!

2 Likes

Nope nope nope, not cute at all, and I don’t need one immediately. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

She’s going to be a big girl I think. 20lb at 8 weeks and mom was 110lb and dad was 130lb. But we shall see. She’s such a cutie and is fitting in so well here. Loves to run around and play but hard core crashes shortly after ha ha!

8 Likes

She is adorable !!

3 Likes

What a beautiful puppy ! Be proud ! Enjoy !

2 Likes