Unlimited access >

Green Guard muzzle or alternatives for horse prone to rubs

The halter the muzzle was on is a breakaway.

I landed on when there is a roundtable in the pasture, he doesn’t have to wear the muzzle, but isn’t getting hay in his stall other than a handful of “pretend breakfast”. He gets a couple ounces of teff grass pellets every hour via is auto feeder while he is in the stall, about 2lbs total. He is one of three in the pasture and they aren’t inhaling the roundbale so I think this should be a decent balance.

1 Like

What kind of autofeeder plz? That sounds genius!!! My pony would be great on something like that!

I have an iFeed one!

This has been a game changer for us! I’m surprised they aren’t more widely used (at least in my circles) as they make all the sense in the world for ulcer prone horses, horses that need a lot of feed (my vet took pictures to recommend to a couple clients with seniors), or for anyone that has stalled horses that can’t have 24/7 access to forage. Vet also thinks it’s great for free fecal water syndrome which we are managing too.

Granted my barn doesn’t have wifi, but that’s the only thing I’d change about it. Having wifi and an app that could change the schedule from anywhere would be icing on the cake.

I have purchased greenguards for a mini, a large pony and a QH horse with a wide muzzle. Only the QH has had rubbing problems and they were hard to solve. I found that gorilla tape was better than duct tape for padding but that KT athletic tape was even better. It seems like it would hold water and create friction, but it worked wonderfully. I did have to replace the KT tape every few weeks and it is expensive so I’d try the gorilla tape first and then the KT tape if the gorilla tape doesn’t work. Good luck!

That looks awesome! I forgot one thing though, I do not have electricity, ugh! Solar powered lights work fine but darnit I don’t think solar would power this. Darnit… I am saving the link though so thank you!!!

Ohhhh bummer about the electricity!! Happy to share, definitely good to keep in your back pocket for the future :grin: