Unlimited access >

Green Horse * Lateral Movements

For a green horse, what would be the best way to introduce lateral movements? And once you have done that, what is the best movement to start with? Like - shoulder-in, leg-yield, etcetera. :yes:
Thanks,
HunterJumper<3

Does your horse move off of leg while circling? That’s generally where people start IME. Gently spiraling in and out on a circle. After that, do it on a straight line as a leg yield. SI and HI generally follow after that.

First: how old is the horse? Is it green to dressage or is it a baby? Babies shouldn’t be introduced to lateral work for at least a year or more.

This is a very difficult question so would recommend a book first and going by that. It’s not something to read online and just do.

That said, start on the ground. Teach turn-on-the-fore and turn-on-the haunches. Then do so under saddle, can start on long side and do by wall which helps control haunches. Then can do so by riding squares. Once horse understands moving away from the leg, can do leg-yield along the wall with nose to wall. One horse understands that, then introduce shoulder-in on a 20m circle (SI shouldn’t be taught unless the horse is able to do a very good 10m volte - this is the bend required for SI). Can do figure 8s alternating SI. The circles make it easier for the horse. Can also introduce shoulder-fore on the long side but find most people have a hard time doing it, more than the horse. This sequence of exercises takes months and years to get through. It isn’t one week leg yield, next SI.

If you don’t understand how to ride SI, you shouldn’t be teaching it without a trainer helping.

Assuming you have basic forward turn and halt, I have found that greenies can learn to understand the shift sideways. I am not talking “leg yield”, I 'm talking “we need to move over, whether to make room for another rider to pass, to get out of the center of the lane so a car may pass.”

Later in life this can be refined. As time goes on and riding “out” begins, turn on the forehand is essential to dealing with gates. Turn on the haunches is best left to later as you will in no way want to establish bad habits at what will be your walk pirouettes.

When the horse has the ability to do correct circles at 20m, and also at 15m and 10m, then it is time to start doing spiral circles, spiraling in and leg yielding out taking care to maintain the same bend and flexion.

You notice circle size changes in the tests going up the Levels. The ability to comfortably move off the leg from a 10m circle to a 20m circle is dependent on the learning level of the horse and the comfort level of the rider.

Once you have that all organized, it is time to start one of the most useful exercises, Shoulder-in.

Thanks all! :smiley: I do know how to execute all of the movements, and my colt has been thoroughly broken and has been doing flatwork for awhile now! I’m consulting others too, I just wanted a couple other opinions…

I love starting my green beans on the Ackerman Square.

Basically it’s a side pass along a 15m square and in each corner perform a turn in the forehand. It gives them the idea of off my leg NOW and improves any kind of leaning instantly. It’s also wonderful for loosening up a stiff horse.

I then move to leg yield and introduce shoulder fore to build strength and use those as my building blocks from there.