Unlimited access >

Group Feeding Horses Safely

I work at the Umass Amherst horse barn, and my job in the morning is to feed all the horses that live outside. Right now, there are three pastures that are very difficult to feed. Two have four horses; two mares and two foals (around 5 months old), and the third pasture has four yearling fillies.

The problem is that they all get different amounts of grain, and for the mares and foals, they get different types of grain. For them, the barn manager just tells us (I work with one other girl for this shift) to keep the foals away from their moms’ grain. Which is a lot easier said than done! First of all, as soon as we walk into the pastures to give them the grain, all four of them swarm us. It’s dangerous, if you ask me. The foals get antsy and sometimes playful and run around us. They all try to stick their faces in the feed pans before we can even put them on the ground. We had started feeding one mare and one foal with over the fence feeders, so we don’t have to go inside, but there is only room for two so the other two we still have to go inside to feed. One of the foals have started to try and kick us if he doesn’t get his grain right away. Dangerous! And bad habit.

The four fillies pose an even bigger issue. We’ve tried many different things with them. Actually, there were only three before but just recently the fourth one was put out there. The problem with them is that (when there were just three), one filly only gets a handful of grain because she is overweight. The other two get more, but one of them also gets a scoop of Quiessence. So she needs to get all of that, and the problem was that the filly with just a handful finished first and tried to steal the others. We decided to take her out of the pasture, let the other two finish, and then put her back. It worked, ish, but we had to go into the paddock to get her, and one time i was trying to halter her, the other filly was crowding us, so I pushed her away. She got mad and immediately swung her butt around and tried to kick me. We decided after that that it was too dangerous to try and go inside to feed them.

Now there’s a fourth filly! And she is extremely dominant. At feeding time, she chases the other three into the shed, corners them, and tries to bite/kick them. They freak out and it’s chaos. We tried separating her from the other three before we feed, but again, then we still have to deal with them trying to steal each other’s grain.

It’s just getting worse every day and I’m so afraid someone is going to get hurt.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The best I came up with was to bring them all inside just to feed, them bring them back out. But that would take at least four people for each pasture, and it would take a lot of time. Being a college, there’s a limited amount of time for each shift because of classes, and a limited amount of staff. I can suggest it to the manager, but I doubt that it would be an option.

Another thought I had would be to go in and tie them all to the fence while they ate. It might work for the fillies (if we can get them all without being kicked) but the foals obviously don’t know how to be tied yet.

Please give me any advice! I don’t want anyone to get hurt! Also I feel like all these young horses are getting more and more food aggressive, which will just get worse when they’re older.

Use feedbags. We feed horses in groups every day and we use feedbags. They will quickly learn they can’t steal from each other, that no one is going to take their food so they can eat at their own pace, and you can feed each horse individually.

Feed bags.

Feed bags or set up “stalls” for each horse with panels.

Ditto the stalls with panels. I have done that in the past and had the stalls right in their paddock. Everyone had to get locked up in their stall before I would even bring the grain in. Then when they were done I just opened the gaits and they went back out again (keep them closed though when not in use so no one gets trapped in there). It would help as well to keep the foals out of the mare’s grain and yet the foals won’t worry because their moms are right there.

Feed bags and a dressage whip.

No one is allowed to push or be sassy at feeding time and they can wait to have their bag put on. No grabbing. When everyone is done they can have their bags off, and they will quickly learn to come to the fence.

The foals will be tougher, and you may need to work out a way to separate them or hold onto them (a good chance to work on manners) while their moms eat.

Good luck!

Feed bags are a life saver!

I seriously don’t understand why the entire horse world doesn’t use them to feed in the pasture!

Aside from suggesting feed bags…

do the trainers at this barn not understand the level of naughty that these foals and older fillies are being allowed to get away with? Spinning and kicking at the students doing the feeding?! Training begins on day 1; I can’t imagine the disrespectful horses these youngsters will become if training doesn’t start happening yesterday.

Feed bags would be great but there’s still how do you catch them safely to put the feed bags on and later to remove them, I vote for feed stalls or pens as well, and I too am wondering about the sanity of a barn manager that doesn’t recognize the safety and training issues that are going to crop up with this kind of scenario.

We only have two, an old guy with a special diet and a younger dominant horse and we opted for pens a long time ago, it was really the only way to do it without having a barn and stalls.

[QUOTE=SuckerForHorses;7843135]
Aside from suggesting feed bags…

do the trainers at this barn not understand the level of naughty that these foals and older fillies are being allowed to get away with? Spinning and kicking at the students doing the feeding?! Training begins on day 1; I can’t imagine the disrespectful horses these youngsters will become if training doesn’t start happening yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you. I don’t understand why they’re not doing anything about it. They know what’s going on, they have seen it themselves. We even have a breaking and training class, and we occasionally ‘work’ with the foals and fillies. But not often enough to make a difference.

We even have a breaking and training class, and we occasionally ‘work’ with the foals and fillies.

Sounds like as students, you’re not really getting your money’s worth! If you only occasionally “work” them, what’s the point of that class exactly?! :lol:

Is there a Director for the equine section that is above the instructors that you deal with daily? Perhaps the director needs to know about the dangerous behavior of the youngsters that should be being used in the breaking and training class.

Probably because that website is so godawful.

[QUOTE=Texarkana;7843130]
Feed bags are a life saver!

I seriously don’t understand why the entire horse world doesn’t use them to feed in the pasture![/QUOTE]

Since I went to said college and the idea of buying feedbags is going to elicit nothing but laughter…

…start tying everyone, and use fence feeders. (And SHAME on that program if every horse, even the yearlings, does not know how to tie.)

The foals will stay with their moms, so tie each mom and let the baby nibble out of her bucket. I skimmed quickly, but you’re saying that each PAIR gets different grain, right, not mares vs foals? There’s no reason they can’t be eating the same grain.

Tie the yearling who gets a little, and the yearling who is dominant, and then feed the other two in buckets on the ground.

I think it’s admirable that you’re creatively looking for solutions, but I recommend doing it anonymously. You can delete the university’s name from your original post. Most bosses don’t appreciate their employees airing their dirty laundry on the internet & you’re making the university look pretty negligent here.

Feed bags are certainly the easiest solution here. I hope you get some traction with that when you suggest it.

See, I feel like if you don’t want people talking about your shameful behavior, you should probably be above reproach. “not airing dirty laundry” benefits no one except the entity taking short cuts.

[QUOTE=arapaloosa_lady;7844258]
I think it’s admirable that you’re creatively looking for solutions, but I recommend doing it anonymously. You can delete the university’s name from your original post. Most bosses don’t appreciate their employees airing their dirty laundry on the internet & you’re making the university look pretty negligent here.

Feed bags are certainly the easiest solution here. I hope you get some traction with that when you suggest it.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=arapaloosa_lady;7844258]

Feed bags are certainly the easiest solution here. I hope you get some traction with that when you suggest it.[/QUOTE]

It sounds a though, as a school with an active equine program, a little “dirty laundry” needs to be aired.

These are not professionals, they are students, and as such should be working under intelligent supervision.