Unlimited access >

Guess the horse breed?

Hi! I own a 14.2hh(trying to give the little guy some credit, probably like 14hh. Haven’t measured in forever) grade pony, and I was wondering if anybody wanted to take a go at what breed(s) he may be? his previous owners claimed he was a Foundation Quarter Horse, but they said they aren’t quite sure themselves. Just figured this would be nice to see everybody’s insight. He’s a bit chunky right now, just a warning ;). Thanks!

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Aeropostal_Arrow/media/Arrow%208_zpsxra0bzug.jpg.html?o=3

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Aeropostal_Arrow/media/Arrow%204_zpsj9sxexsv.jpg.html?o=1

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Aeropostal_Arrow/media/Arrow%202_zpscayul7bf.jpg.html?o=2

Morgan/QH cross is my guess.

This ^

I see a lot of Morgan.

He looks like he’s a mustang to me. But I could see qh/Morgan too.

I can see mustang and Morgan, maybe QH too.

Is he as darling as he looks?

i vote Mustang. Or Mustang cross . Cute!

Didnt even remember to include mustang as a breed. He looks a bit drafty, no light bones there.
He also looks CKC: cute and kind and capable, best breeding to own!

He’s definitely a sweetheart! He’ll follow you around like a lamb for days, but he’s definitely got that pony personality as well. Little stinker’s figured out how to open doors and grain bins :lol:

Seeing him I first thought Morgan, then you say that pony personality, I would say morgan for sure.

I don’t see Morgan. The face and neck don’t look Morgany at all to me. I see a grade QH pony mixed with who knows :wink: If anything, I could see some Standardbred tossed into the pony mix. He’s a good, solid fellow!

My guess would be BYB Quarter Horse. He looks like a nice enough sort. Cute expression.

He actually looks like a foundation QH, just a little short… Not too short to be foundation though.

I also don’t see Morgan. QH with some pony thrown in there?

He’s around 14hh, definitely a sturdy little fellow. Either way, he’s my own little mutt ;). Thanks for the replies! I love seeing everybody’s opinions on this type of stuff.

I would guess Mustang, or heavy Mustang influence. He looks SO MUCH like the Paso Fino mare I once had, same expression of eyes and ears, and pretty much the same build.

It is the Barb blood, tough horses, properly taken care of they can live a long, happy, athletic life. You are lucky! Be careful not to feed too much grain or alfalfa. This type horse can live on less food than an equal size Arab (and if your horse can’t you will find out quickly.) If your horse has the Mustang hard hooves be prepared to do an extra trimming or two with the Spring grass, I just rasped my mare’s toes every two weeks during this period.

Can you tell I like him? You are a lucky lady.

I’m torn…part of me wants to say BYB QH…

Then I see lots of Morgan influence.

But! If you told me he had some cob in there, I’d believe it.

[QUOTE=Jackie Cochran;8030611]
I would guess Mustang, or heavy Mustang influence. He looks SO MUCH like the Paso Fino mare I once had, same expression of eyes and ears, and pretty much the same build. [/QUOTE]

This is my impression as well. It would not surprise me if this horse gaited (rack or pace). His build includes a higher set neck, hollow topline, and a straight shoulder, so if he’s a trotter, it’s probably going to be a pony-ish trot… bouncy and with plenty of knee action.

He looks like a good fellow, but I’m not seeing much QH. Pony cross or mustang would be my guess.

[QUOTE=Jackie Cochran;8030611]
I would guess Mustang, or heavy Mustang influence. He looks SO MUCH like the Paso Fino mare I once had, same expression of eyes and ears, and pretty much the same build.

It is the Barb blood, tough horses, properly taken care of they can live a long, happy, athletic life. You are lucky! Be careful not to feed too much grain or alfalfa. This type horse can live on less food than an equal size Arab (and if your horse can’t you will find out quickly.) If your horse has the Mustang hard hooves be prepared to do an extra trimming or two with the Spring grass, I just rasped my mare’s toes every two weeks during this period.

Can you tell I like him? You are a lucky lady.[/QUOTE]

Awe, that’s so adorable! Oh yeah, he definitely does not need a lot of grain, the little guy could get obese off air :confused:.
I like him too ;). Funny, I managed to snag him for $500 plus trailering fees due to the fact that his old owners had no use for him. Completely broke, healthy, and sane… I’ve never met a horse quite like him considering his favorite toy is an umbrella… Seriously. I appreciate the lovely comment, and I’d love to see some pictures of your Paso!

Mustang. Looks just like mine…same body type, head, and size. 14.2 at the withers…probably more like 14-14.1 otherwise. Sturdy and Stout-ish with big bone so carries adult riders up to 5’8" or so very well. Mustangs are usually mixed breeds and mine clearly has strong Iberian influence, but also some draft back in the woodpile, which accounts for the straight-ish shoulder. Very smart and handy. Great feet. Was always tough as nails until Cushings set in (most likely due to draft influence), which I manage pretty well. I’ve had him since he was 9 and he’s 20 now, still a working horse most of the time, but with reduced workload. I’ll try to post a picture…the resemblance is really pretty striking.