Guesstamating baby's height

So anyone know any accurate “ish” ways to guess a baby’s adult height? We have an 8 month old colt. He was really big as a little guy but seems to have not grown a whole lot lately. Kind of hoping we dodge a bullet on this one!

At birth they are 61-64% of their adult height. 6 months is 83-86, and 9 months is 87-90, so that should give you some number to work with.

At 12 months you can start doing the string tests though right at 12 months they might be a little off.

[QUOTE=JB;6873596]
At birth they are 61-64% of their adult height. 6 months is 83-86, and 9 months is 87-90, so that should give you some number to work with.

At 12 months you can start doing the string tests though right at 12 months they might be a little off.[/QUOTE]
Is the string test from the elbow to the ground or the elbow to the fetlock?

Elbow to ergot. Double that measurement, then add the distance from the ground to the ergot.

The other one is to put the string in the middle of the knee, follow the contour of the leg, and end at the coronet. Inches = hands, ie 15" = 15h, 15 1/2" = 15.2h

Thanks

string test should work pretty much at any time. except that it doesn’t work for my pony - first time ever on any of my horses… :slight_smile: when i measure i get about 3" taller that he is… which is weird…

It doesn’t work well when the cannon bones are long or short in relation to the height. Longer cannon bones will give you a measurement taller than the horse is/will be, and short will give you smaller.

My unscientific methods include checking to see where babies knee and hock line up to mamas. I add some for growth of joints and foot but I can tell that baby number one will be at least 16.2 or more and will most likely be taller than mom, while baby number 2 will be at least 16.1 and as tall or slightly taller than mom.
Both babies are currently 11 months old.

I did the string test on mine - the kind from coronet to center of knee - inches = hands.

It said 16.2 when she was a weanling, same as yearling, same as two year old, and now she is rising 6 years - and 16.2 hands.

I know, case study of one is not exactly proof, but worked for me!

Did you measure straight from the coronet to the center of the knee or the way JB described, following the contour?

I did the string test on a bunch of my horses, including mature horses to see if it had worked out, and it was pretty accurate for most of them, +/- an inch.

I’m hoping one of the youngsters is off though as hers came out 18" (at about 14 months) and that’s just going to be a ridiculous height if it works out, I’m only 5’3" (and a bit) :lol:

What’s the best method for a 2 1/2 yo, a 16 month old and a 5month old?

[QUOTE=password;6875769]
Did you measure straight from the coronet to the center of the knee or the way JB described, following the contour?[/QUOTE]

Straight - on the side - centered - not the highest or lowest point of the coronet, but the middle - to middle of knee.

Measurement was the same at 4 months, two years, and as an adult - never changed.

Also noticed that my filly had the same length of cannons as her 16.2 mother when she was still a suckling.

[QUOTE=Pin;6875863]
What’s the best method for a 2 1/2 yo, a 16 month old and a 5month old?[/QUOTE]

5 month old, go by the numbers I originally listed - string tests don’t work.

The others, anything over 12 months, either string test.

I string tested my Irish Draught/Connemara cross… He tested to 16.1 but is at 14.2 1/2 at 21 months. Hope he keeps growing!!!

[QUOTE=Appsolute;6875893]
Straight - on the side - centered - not the highest or lowest point of the coronet, but the middle - to middle of knee.

Measurement was the same at 4 months, two years, and as an adult - never changed.

Also noticed that my filly had the same length of cannons as her 16.2 mother when she was still a suckling.[/QUOTE]

This is the way that we do it and it seems to end up correct.

pre 12 months of age…not much is accurate. I have had huge foals not grow a lot later and small ones do a lot of catching up. By 12 months things start to level out and you have a better idea.