Unlimited access >

Guest hunt in NC?

My husband and I will be in the Charlotte area between Christmas and New Year and are wondering if there are any hunts that might let us hire horses and join for a day?

We are BN-level eventers and have hunted in England and Ireland so have some experience.

I’m also considering Hunter’s Rest in VA as we’ll be returning home out of DC but scheduling may be more difficult.

1 Like

Daughter used to ride on occasion with Yadkin Valley during her college years in Charlotte. She barn sat for members and rode their horses.
https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/yadkin-valley-hounds/

1 Like

I have heard endless amazing things about Hunters Rest.

2 Likes

@jcc813,

Sent you a PM

Yadkin Valley is no longer in the hunt roster. I wonder what happened?

I read that the North Carolina legislature passed stricter laws about hunting foxes about five years ago, but cannot find anything current about the Yadkin Valley Hunt. Any of you tarheels out there have any information?

Probably farther than you want to go, but Moore County Hounds in Southern Pines is a great hunt. Really amazing land/territory and welcoming community.

Sedgefield Hunt works out of Rockingham County NC, probably not any closer though.

Sorry I’m not more helpful, I don’t know the hunts IVO Charlotte. Google shows a Mecklenburg hounds closest to Charlotte, and also a Green Creek hunt due west of Charlotte, but I don’t know anyone who rides with either of them.

Can your Masters reach out through their network to find you something?

Closest to Charlotte will be down south. Mecklenburg Hounds hunt Saturdays near Ft Lawn and they are having a joint meet with the Wateree Hounds from Camden on December 30. I’m not sure if anyone from Meck can help with hirelings but you could try Lea Edwards from Wateree…she may be able to point you in the right direction. Both of those hunts have Facebook pages and contact info there. You would also have a great time with Betsy at Hunter’s Rest and she’s a one stop shop. I believe ODH hunts Tuesday and Saturday.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions! I think we’ve decided to stick with Hunter’s Rest given all the great reviews. Betsy’s also been very responsive and seems excited for us to join them.

Will report back!

5 Likes

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

@jcc813,

Please report back about your hunting day!

I hunted with Betsy many years ago. You will have a great time

1 Like

Please do! I’m glad y’all found a place.

We did end up joining Old Dominion Hounds on Betsy’s horses and had a great time! Everyone was really nice. Unfortunately there were no jumps that day but we still had a lovely ride and some good gallops. No fox sighting though one of the huntswomen did see it.

We started in 3rd flight then a friendly member got us permission to move up to 2nd where we were able to go a little faster and be closer to the action.

So glad I found out about Betsy’s operation through COTH. Hope we’ll get a chance to ride out there again!

4 Likes