Unlimited access >

h/j barn between Cleveland and Chagrin Falls?

Hi All,
I’m working in Chagrin Falls and living in Cleveland this summer. I’m looking for a barn to lesson at somewhere between the two. Ideally I’d lesson a couple of times a week, or do a lease for part of the summer. I currently ride at the novice level in IHSA, but I’d love a place that could help me move up! Any recommendations?

Also, please pm me if there are any places you would stay away from!

Foster Jimeniz Show Stables is a has a good trainer set. But be prepared to lose all your money.

Check into Maypine Farm.

[QUOTE=chunky munky;7015561]
Check into Maypine Farm.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. One of the best if the bunch if they can meet your needs.

Been in business a long time, always with well respected trainers and top notch training and care.

Thanks guys! Would you mind pming me prices to expect in the area or at these places specifically? Foster Jimenez is right on my way, but I don’t want to call if it’s way out of my budget!
Thanks! Definitely open to any other recommendations!

I will be travelling to Cleveland/ columbus/ pittsburgh with my daughter end of June.
We are on vacation but also will be horse shopping (for her) - the shortened version- I bought a horse for her from a reputable dealer (hmmm) whom I have “known” as you know someone who shows against you. I have been riding for 40 years (hunters but now do dressage). so I trusted this guy to sell me something a 12 year old who is doing 2 foot could handle. He sends me two videos of a calm quiet horse doing a course with a little kid. Horse gets here and is a lunatic. I won’t even ride her (I bought her in january and no longer own her). So a huge loss - I need something that will pack her around, auto changes, perhaps have scope to get a bit bigger. Yes, you will ask my budget. I will answer, I need something to do schooling shows and some rated stuff, bt I am not talking big shows. so where should I look, what should I look to spend (aged ok) 14.2 to 16.2

Maypine has the best trainer, but he may well head south over the winter. not sure about lesson horses. They are also a bit north of Gates Mills and Mayfield. Also look into Chagrin Valley hunt club - no idea who’s training there but they used to have both lesson horses and some hunt horses that people lessoned on. Also check out Wild Fields (also known as White North…) on River Road, Hunting Valley, there are a couple people I think training out of there. I’m a while gone from the hunter world and Cleveland, so no idea on prices, but there are a number of players
to choose from.

Lets see been out of the area for a few years so may be a dated.

Maypine already mentioned
Lewis and Lewis do not know where they are out of now but heard they are close to oh gosh whats his name not Pat Swan but the other Pat…
Chagrin Valley Farms owned by Linda Lyberger ( don’t know her married name if she has one knew her before she was married)
Pat Swan work out of CVFs
Is Dorchester still around?
IS Lutz still teaching?
I do not know if there is anyone doing hunters but cant hurt to ask and can not recall the name of the farm but it is in Burton ( maybe North Star Farm) Call Charlotte Bayley - whateverherhyponatednameisnow.
Is Red Raider doing anything any more? that on rt 87
I think South Farms in only eventing/hunting type and in Middelfield.
I don’t think Patchwork Farms is around any more
those are all I can remember as I said it is most likely dated. But maybe you can find something out of it.

bumknees - this reminds me of “As the World Turns”

Pat Swan is most probably still at CV Farms; I don’t remember him having lesson horses…Liz Scoville is also there last I heard.
Pat Bostwick teaches out of a private barn in Hunting Valley, only has clients who own horses.
Lewis and Lewis is now a different family mix, and I’m not sure where their clients are, maybe Fairweather south of Chagrin Falls
Wilde Fields/White North has two trainers - Liz Porter of the H/J world, and Theresa Evans who has an eventing background.
Mike Reinheimer is the head guy at the CV Hunt Club now.

Haven’t heard anything re Dorchester in years; when I left, Red Raider had a few boarders and was doing an occasional dressage show. It was under new ownership (goes by Blue Moon now).

2tempe don’t I know it the soap opera of Chagrin valley horse … when were you at RR? I was there probably before you were old enough to sit on a horse…( in the 80’s)

I remembered the Pat it was Channing. But now the first name dosent sound right. But either way… Is his mother is around, doubt it she was ooolllddd when I was a JR.? she hated me and my old horse.

I’m old enough to remember Blue Lake(s ?) farm as Wise Margin…

There used to be a place on Music st. when I was there it was called Harmony Farms don’t have a clue if it is still around

And one on Caves called Novelty farms. don’t know if they are still around.

oops looking for places which may have something for sale, not lessons. Plus I am trainer “weary” so an honest farm that has something my daughter would feel comfortable showing in a 2 6 class, auto changes, etc.
Funny, most of the places mentioned are the same that were around when I lived there in 1980… eeks

[QUOTE=bumknees;7027821]
2tempe don’t I know it the soap opera of Chagrin valley horse … when were you at RR? I was there probably before you were old enough to sit on a horse…( in the 80’s)[/QUOTE]Hell, I was there in the late 50s to the mid 60s! :lol:

I remembered the Pat it was Channing. But now the first name dosent sound right. But either way… Is his mother is around, doubt it she was ooolllddd when I was a JR.? she hated me and my old horse.
Jeff Channing. I don’t know if Elizabeth is still around.

Red Raider…such a great place. I rode and worked there in the 70’s. What a fun place to ride. Unfortunately most of the land is now an upscale subdivision, but the last time I visited the barns and arenas were there, and they were boarding horses.

Foster-jimeniz is a bit pricy ($800 for board). I do think both Cindy and Sergio know what they’re doing, they are knowledgable people.

I’m not sure if someone could just ask for a random lesson. Think it’s only clients and their horses. I could definitely be wrong.

Cindy and Sergio are competitive people, and run their barn that way.

Another trainer in the area is Cari Gleeson. She’s pretty good.

I’m sorry, but I’d be careful with maypine.
I’m sure there are people that love the place, but with a limited budget and trying to do the same thing they were hell on earth.

[QUOTE=SillyHorse;7043732]
Hell, I was there in the late 50s to the mid 60s! :lol:

Jeff Channing. I don’t know if Elizabeth is still around.[/QUOTE]

Yes - Liz Channing is still teaching some dressage lessons at her daughter’s farm (Ellrick Farm)

Looking for a hunter jumper gelding for my 13 yr. old daughter around the Chagrin Falls area.
Preferably under 10 yrs. old, that can jump 2.6".
Safe, sound and good ground manners.
Please let me know.