Unlimited access >

H/J Boarding near Exton PA and surrounding areas

I’m looking at moving to near/around Exton PA next month and would love to get some suggestions of boarding barns with a H/J program. I’ve looked through previous threads and I’ve done my own research, but I would love to hear some opinions from folks local to the area about which places are good and which to avoid :slight_smile:

Big things I’m looking for are:

• Full care stall board
  • Plentiful turnout, small groups preferred
  • Indoor
  • Reputable lesson program
  • Budget ~800/mo
  • No more than 30 min from Exton

I’m a good riding amateur with a young TB that I would really like to get in the hunter ring with. I don’t need a barn with a really serious show program though, since I have neither the time nor the budget for that… Horsey and I are also very easygoing and would love someplace more laid back :slight_smile:

Also this is a pretty big move for me, so if anyone is local and wants to give me the inside scoop of all things Philly, I would love all the info I can get :slight_smile:

Exton is very burbsy. My Mother lives not too far from there. Some good food places near Media, PA and Wayne. Philly has a decent food scene. I will say that after years of living and working in NYC, I still never felt safe walking around Philly after 9pm, so something to consider and you may want to leverage Uber/Lyft/taxi more when you’re there.
The Brandywine show series is probably your best bet for horse shows nearby. Malvern Saddlery is nearby and lovely. I don’t know any boarding spots, but you’re also not very far from the Wilmington, DE border, so I wouldn’t rule out northern DE as an option too. I think Alex Matz is in Coatesville, but I don’t know anyone else.
Longwood Gardens is done up beautifully during the holidays. So worth the entry price to spend a day there if you’re getting there before 2022.

Sorry but your reply makes me laugh: it feels like when someone on Amazon asks a question like “will this be good for a cat?” and someone replies that they don’t know, they only have dogs.

There are tons of barns within a half hour or so of Exton with all different price points and a variety of showing options, from local to rated. I think you may find that you have to bump your budget a bit to get an indoor.

Exton has a train station that goes directly into the city, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use the train at any hour. There are parts of the city that don’t feel safe at any hour of the day, just as in every big city in the world. Exton has great shopping and Rick’s Saddle Shop is a large tack shop just 5 minutes away.

2 Likes

Indoor at 800 I can’t give you, but I can give you a few in the 900-950 range. Let me know if interested, one in Chester Spring area, one in West Chester. The one in Chester Spring 100% fits everything else on the list, laid back small, lovely facility tons of turnout.

1 Like

I appreciate the replies so far! Any information about the area in general is good too :smile:

@phoenixrises Budget is flexible :slight_smile: I would love to hear your recommendations!

Vyrnewy farm just north of rt 23 off of rt 100. Huge indoor, nice outdoor great care! 1/2 hr from Exton in your price range.
Can bring your own trainer if you want.
(610) 733-7022

I believe John Muldoon used to be near Exton, and is still close??
I enjoyed riding with him.

Edit Rainbows End, Malvern PA

1 Like

He’s still in Malvern. I don’t know that he would be “low key” in the way that the OP is describing? And I doubt he’s in the price range she mentions.

4 Likes

Great Scott Farm is in Malvern, PA (approx 18 min from Exton, PA). I believe their board is $800 or $850.

1 Like

Pine Creek Sport Horses in probably further then you’d like to drive (Newtown PA) and a bit more expensive then your budget but I can’t say enough good things about Karen and her program! Very low key, goes to some horse shows but not a ton, and has a great young horse program. :slight_smile:

Definitely too far for me but thanks for the recommendation :relaxed: