Unlimited access >

H/J converts - saddle recommendations?

With the caveat that fit for the horse is the biggest issue, does anyone have recommendations on a “first” dressage saddle for a convert from h/j land? I rode in a very flat seat jump saddle (a Butet), and the dressage saddle I’ve been riding in is also relatively flat (for a dressage saddle), but I know there’s a huge range of how deep a seat, how much knee block, etc etc etc available. When you were first learning, what worked best for you and helped you develop your position, particularly if you were coming from a forward-seat background?

Thanks!

1 Like

I ride in an Antares dressage saddle. I got it because it has the exact tree size as my Antares jumping saddle. It was used and I paid $1500 for it. It works for the level I am at now and it fits my horse great. My next saddle will be a Custom dressage saddle. A saddle fitter had me ride in several models and I found the one that fits me and my horse. I have to save for it though. Butet makes dressage saddles. I would have a saddle fitter help you choose.

1 Like

I had to convert from HJ land to dressage due to a degenerative foot condition.

At first I rode in a very flat Passier dressage saddle with no thigh blocks (older, beautiful brown saddle from the 70s/80s.) It was great to begin with because it helped me naturally lengthen my leg and nothing felt forced or trapped.

Now I ride in a Crosby Prix St George Sofride (jokingly call it the Sofa-Ride.) It does have a deeper seat, but not nearly as deep as the newer saddles. It has minimal knee/thigh blocks and I can still move my leg when needed. I don’t feel locked into a position and it is very comfortable for me. Granted, I am not riding WBs with monster trots. I am riding grade honies and occasionally an OTTB. I really love this saddle. It is older and less expensive but I adore it.

Hope that helps. I’m sure others have great advice, too.

3 Likes

I always rode in Butets over fences… my dressage saddle of choice is Amerigo. They have different tree shapes for different topline styles which makes for easy fitting to horse and rider and the horses seem to love them. They are comfortable and soft like a Butet.

Keep in mind the deepness and shape of the seat also reflects on your horses shape and your body shape also. You may not want super deep but that might be the right fit for you in certain saddles.

3 Likes

When I was bringing my TB back from a suspensory injury, he was in a dressage program for his rehab. I bought an Albion SLK for us and found it to be a great saddle as I made the adjustment to dressage from H/J. This was over 15 years ago and I’m now back in H/J-land so I don’t know what the current Albion models are like.

1 Like

My first “real” dressage saddle was a Passier Grand Gilbert–the good news is that if they fit your horse, you can pick them up pretty darn inexpensively now, like less than the cost of a Wintec.

The issue I found with a lot of the “bigger” saddles with more blocks etc was that they tend to force your leg into that very long, very straight dressage position, and if you’re just transitioning, you really don’t have the position for that yet, since it takes time to develop. It was very obvious when I was trying a few saddles for my young horse this spring–a few I sat in were immediate NOs just because of how they forced my leg into position, rather than allowing it to just be in the correct position for me. I now have a County Connection, which is a little more forward in the flap than some of the other models.

5 Likes