Unlimited access >

H/J farms near Findlay Ohio

Wondering if there are any H/J boarding farms within 30 minutes from Findlay. Looking to stay under $600. Does not have to be H/J specifically but DO NOT want to be at a barn with western horses. Must have an indoor. Turn out not a deal breaker as long as indoor turnout is permitted. Would love a small private facility but not opposed to a larger facility (30 horses max) Thanks in advanced.

I am assuming you are attending the University of Findlay. You might contact the English farm and talk to one of the professors. I attended but didn’t bring a horse. My friends boarded nearby but I don’t think it’s what you’re looking for; self care and a lot of trail riders who don’t go to UF

I would almost prefer not to be at a barn with other UF students as if that were the case I would just board at the school. Loved the schools barn actually just looking for a little more low-key. I definitely ride to get the job done, not socialize. So something that isn’t super busy 24/7 would be more ideal. Not opposed to a trail barn but I train 6 days a week so the facility must have jumps and good footing.

You know, it’s a small city in the middle of rural Ohio, like big farms for miles. It might not be easy to find an indoor that must have good footing that lets you train on your own over their jumps, turn out in the arena in bad weather, is not busy during your preferred riding time and does not have any of those hated western horses you refuse to board with. Oh, and within a 30 minute drive.

Its not the smallest town around but it’s not a big city either and doesn’t support the kind of large population with substantial discretionary income to support a variety of upper end stable options. Nice place actually, just not a big one.

Actually I do know somebody who lives just north of that area, nearer Toledo, who shows AA, they keep the horses in Michigan just south of Detroit.

Think your expectations might be a little unreasonable for that area. Why not wait until you can spend some time there and work through the school and your fellow students, word of mouth might turn up a smaller place but might not meet all the conditions.

Just get a feeling you are assuming you can find what is essentially an upper end kind of barn and be permitted to jump outside lessons. Probably going to have to compromise on some of these requirements. Maybe even have to share with a western horse or two and UF students.

Good news is you can probably find something with at least a small indoor for 600 within 30 minutes, any further out its farmland.

I love Findlay, the area is beautiful, and actually quite nice. I never said I refuse to board with western riders, as I have done so in the past with no issues. I am simply asking what hunter jumper barns are the in area or strictly English barns as they typically have more jumps and similar training than a barn that has more western horses. Many of the barns in the area I noticed are quarter horse barns and that is what I am trying to avoid given I do not show the QH circuit. I feel that my expectations are not too high as I clearly stated above most of the requirements are not deal breakers. Most of these requirements are not even requirements, they are just what I am primarily looking for. Good footing is a must at any barn. I also never said I was looking to jump on my own, I am very much interested in a trainer to take lessons with as I will need to find one closer to me. Obviously boarding with UF students doesn’t bother me, I am friends with many of the girls that ride at the barn. I actually love the schools English barn, and it satisfies all my needs and then some, however I am asking what else is similar around that’s more low key. There are also many other barns within the hour that fufill ALL my needs as well so I am not asking for anything outrageous. I am simply getting feelers out for what other barns might be worth looking at.

I love Findlay, the area is beautiful, and actually quite nice. I never said I refuse to board with western riders, as I have done so in the past with no issues. I am simply asking what hunter jumper barns are the in area or strictly English barns as they typically have more jumps and similar training than a barn that has more western horses. Many of the barns in the area I noticed are quarter horse barns and that is what I am trying to avoid given I do not show the QH circuit. I feel that my expectations are not too high as I clearly stated above most of the requirements are not deal breakers. Most of these requirements are not even requirements, they are just what I am primarily looking for. Good footing is a must at any barn. I also never said I was looking to jump on my own, I am very much interested in a trainer to take lessons with as I will need to find one closer to me. Obviously boarding with UF students doesn’t bother me, I am friends with many of the girls that ride at the barn. I actually love the schools English barn, and it satisfies all my needs and then some, however I am asking what else is similar around that’s more low key. There are also many other barns within the hour that fufill ALL my needs as well so I am not asking for anything outrageous. I am simply getting feelers out for what other barns might be worth looking at.

[QUOTE=HunterPrincess222;8424011]
… but DO NOT want to be at a barn with western horses.[/QUOTE]

You’re young, lesson in life read what you write. And there is a lot of tone to be inferred in your first post.

[QUOTE=babecakes;8427869]
You’re young, lesson in life read what you write. And there is a lot of tone to be inferred in your first post.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I put in caps DO NOT want a barn with western people because there are some people that are going to give English/western barns when I clearly stated hunter jumpers. Just because I said I want a barn that DOES NOT have western riders doesn’t mean I “refuse to board with those hated western riders”. I never once said I hate western riders. None of this is helpful to this post, I am simply asking for what barns are around the area. Thanks.

…no one said that you said you hated western riders?

You’ve got a lot to learn about COTH…good luck and God speed, lol

OK, I don’t know any exclusively HJ barns that are up there that offer everything you need. The area is not rich in serious HJ barns and HJ trainers or HJ Open shows within a reasonable distance that would have what you are telling us you require. I can think of a couple that are farther out but, for various reasons, cannot recommend them.

We only know what you tell us and can only judge you by the tone your choice of words creates.

[QUOTE=HunterPrincess222;8427992]
Yes, I put in caps DO NOT want a barn with western people because there are some people that are going to give English/western barns when I clearly stated hunter jumpers. Just because I said I want a barn that DOES NOT have western riders doesn’t mean I “refuse to board with those hated western riders”. I never once said I hate western riders. None of this is helpful to this post, I am simply asking for what barns are around the area. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Tone again my dear. Then use the word prefer. Prefer all english barn vs DO NOT. That was my point and it will make your question more palatable to others vs off putting. Findeight was being tactful, others will not be. Some may sense some attitude and will not want to share any referrals.

Actually yes, it was stated above that I refuse to board with the hated western riders. I apologize if the choice of words were insinuated with a negative vibe. However, I felt some what offended at some of the comments made.

Did a quick Google search in case something slipped my mind. It’s solid 4H and QH country for the most part and the search results confirmed it. I’m sure there’s a few places but no serious HJ show barns in the immediate area.

Might want to keep in mind it is a small Midwestern community where everybody seems to know everybody else and most people are happier if they try to get along and fit in. That’s true at the school too, personally know many alumns and some high placed staffers.

Can you board it at the school?

I found some barns that might work via a Google search, just a little further than i would like. I did notice most are big 4-h and QH barns. boarding at school is an option, I actually liked the school’s barn. I just prefer something more low-key since my horse thrives in a more low-key environment. The barn has over 100 horses so that’s the only thing that worries me. I’ve been to Findlay many times and already know many of the girls. They’re all really nice and we all get along very well. I also loved the staff more than any other school as well as my current school so I’m not too worried about the environment. Coming from a very small town, I know that logic is true pretty much everywhere.

Doesn’t matter if there are 10 horses or 100 if the care is good and the facilities meet your other needs. The fact it’s convenient to get to, even in snow season, is a huge bonus.

If I were you, Id start there and after you meet more locals that are not students and get familiar with the area, you can move if you find something. That way you can relax about where to put the horse and concentrate on your own needs as you relocate and start a new college.

That is a big barn but they do run it very well care wise. Sometimes it is good for a horse to spend time in busy environments to learn to deal with them, particularly if you want to show. It certainly gives you access to very experienced barn management that has resources smaller barns just don’t have as well as very good facilities out of the reach of any but the pricey, uber fancy show barns.

You will also have instant friends and a support system that can be hard to build when you are new in a small town. Don’t discount that part. Move later after you get a better feel for the options that are out there.

That is definitely an option, I’m not counting it out. My horse has always been used to a busy show barn as well as horse showing on the A circuit every weekend. Recently ive moved to a small private barn In my home town and the quieter hours suit her needs. I’m planning on doing the team so either way I will be at the barn, just trying to do what best for the horse in finding a barn more low key to keep her quiet and happy as well as me.