Unlimited access >

H/J lessons in San Diego (North)

Hello COTH! There are a few threads on this topic, but they were all either older or the responses were taken to PMs, so not that helpful to review.

I’m moving to San Diego this summer. I will be working and living around Del Mar/Carmel Valley, and am looking for somewhere to take lessons. I’m an adult amateur, currently half leasing and showing around 2’6"-2’9". Previously showed in the 3’ adult hunters when I owned a horse.

I would ideally need a school horse at first - I might be open to part-leasing, but not sure if I will have time to commit to more than 1x per week.

Thanks!

Happy to try and help. In past research, I had trouble finding an adult lesson program with schooling horses that would allow you to jump above 2’3 or just a H/J trainer with lesson horses. My search area was Encinitas and south, so there may be some further north. If you want to get connected with a trainer versus a lesson program, they will likely want you to lease. Partial leases exist, but it took me awhile to find one in a quality program. It also depends what time of budget program you are looking for too.

Some people to check out in the Del Mar area:
Miriam Doddridge/Topline Farm
Diane Yeater/Ridgemar
Jasmin Stair
Newmarket Farm

Happy to share more about my experience and specifics about recommendations etc. via pm.

There is also the Greater San Diego Hunter Jumper Association trainer list. It can be a starting point, especially for trainers who show on the local circuit. It is out of date and it does not include trainers who do rated shows only.

1 Like

Thank you! I will send you a PM.

If anyone else has suggestions, I’m happy to hear them!

Jennifer Willson / CJ Ranches in Ramona. You would have to travel a bit farther but she always has really nice horses available for lease / 1/2 lease.

1 Like