Unlimited access >

H/j saddles for a Morgan horse?

I don’t actually own a Morgan, but my horse is shaped like one - wide withers, high croup, wide but still slightly curvy back, etc. What jumping saddles fit these creatures??? I’ve posted this question other ways, but hoping to hear from people who own horses in this shape:) Thanks!

I’ve been in the same camp of do I look at a company that builds for the ‘saddle’ type breeds, but not specifically over fences, or try to find one from a typical over fences company that would fit my guy. Freedman’s has a beautiful CC saddle, but it’s really made for HUS not really H/J…It’s been a while since I’ve made a saddle purchase, so I’m still in the infant stages of research. I’d be interested to hear the feedback of others too.

There are some old threads on this, but wanted to get a consolidated list:) Here’s what I’ve compiled thus far, but I’ve not bought my new one yet, so just relaying what I’ve seen others say work for these types, with models noted if they were mentioned:

Albions; County Stabilizer, Innovation, and Conquest; Barnsby; Crosby Centennial; Bates Caprilli; Frank Baines Reflex; Equipe; Black Country x/freedom tree or new native tree; Harry Dabbs IB tree; Duett; Lovatt and Ricketts/Arabian Saddle Co.; Thornhill Germania Spring; Saddler’s Bench Killingston; Detente; Loxley; and Amerigo Vega. Kent and Masters/Thorowgood with the S bars, not R.

Within that list, some would chime in to say no, that won’t fit, but I tried to keep ones that had multiple people saying they did work… hoping this thread will get more commentary!!!

2 Likes

Have you had a saddle fitter look at your horse yet? Just curious as to what their feedback was if you have. I haven’t had one out to look at my guy - so, again, infancy…haha. and also waiting for him to mature some more.

Yes - my horse is actually a Standardbred, but built like an old-school, thick Morgan chunk:) He went best in a Black Country GP Event saddle with native tree. The native tree is new, last 3 years or so, so good luck finding one used! And the native tree is NOT for British native ponies/breeds, at least according to my fitter and some others I saw in my research. It is specifically designed for native American breeds, like Morgans, ASBs, QHs. I posted threads on the saddle, but it’s so new, I don’t think many responses because not many people have experience with the native tree. Hence, posted about the Morgan breed instead.

Of note, my old KN Symphonie dressage saddle in MW worked with a minor flocking adjustment. There are KN jump saddles, but not many, lol. But if money were no object, I’d get a Black Country jumping saddle on the native tree. The other option that was recommended by my fitter was Harry Dabbs on the IB tree, also not often available used or in my budget. I mainly do dressage, so yeah, not splurging quite that hard on the for-fun jumping saddle.

1 Like

Wonderful information. Thank you!

2 Likes

Just to close the loop - got a great deal on a County Stabilizer that works like a charm!

2 Likes

Thank you for coming back and updating - it sure makes things easier when searching for previous threads!

I got an Adam Ellis jump saddle for my Morgan & the saddle fitter was really happy with the fit! I have since switched to dressage though so now it sits at home lol.

1 Like

if you have an interest in it not sitting at home anymore, DM me :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

It’s actually casually for sale now but only doing trials within a couple hours from me (in MA) unfortunately as I am quite paranoid but if I grow a pair anytime soon, I’ll message you LOL

1 Like

100% understand.

1 Like