Unlimited access >

Haflingers or haflinger crosses

My friend has a haflinger she is thinking of breeding. She was asking me if I had any stallion suggestions, and unfortunately I don’t.

Would anyone have any suggestions? If you did outcross, what would you outcross with?

I think she may want a purebred but not sure she wouldn’t outcross if she thought the resulting foal would be desirable.

The mare is cute and sweet but a bit on the lazy side.

If you are looking to breed to a Haflinger you have to decide what kind of Haflinger you want. A modern, refined, swan necked sport horse type or a thicker old style?

2 Likes

A pure bred Haflinger will likely have a larger potential market than a half-bred horse. If someone wants a Haffie, they tend to want a Haflinger.

9 Likes

I’ve seen a few pretty Haflinger crosses, but some seem to end up looking like frankenhorse. The decent ones I’ve seen have been Haflinger x AQH

https://newhorizonshaflingers.com/

This breeder has a long history of making really good Haflinger sport horses. I would really just stick with them. Breeding to a random Haflinger would be dicey if what you’re looking for is a sport horse. Some are great. Others are sort of like a pony crossed with a draft horse, with none of the best qualities of either breed.

4 Likes

We had a Haflinger Arab cross when I was younger. She was a fun horse. Definitely a little bit of refinement added to the Haflinger body and a bit more endurance added, but the Haflinger side was still very much dominant. She was 14 hands but had enough body to be comfortable for adults to ride no problem. Crosses can be iffy, but sometimes they work really well.

1 Like

I have a Haflinger Arab 3 yo (didn’t breed her; bought her a month ago). She is still very immature so don’t know exactly how she’ll turn out but she’s definitely more refined. A bit long in the body. So far has a great mind. Currently 14.2.

Personally if I had a Haflinger mare I’d stay pure. But I guess it depends what you want!

Picture of my Haflinger/Arab 3 yo from today. (She needs weight, I know).

3 Likes

I’ve seen some nice racing pony/Haflinger crosses.

Haffy mule?

It is surprising to see a stallion marketed as a dressage producer who has only shown to first level.