Unlimited access >

Half Chaps & Breeches

What do you guys like best in the sub $100 category for half chaps? I just can’t stomach paying anything over that price for a pair because regardless of how cheap or how expensive they are, they never last more than a year for me. I would like to stay away from suede/microfiber-ish material and am more interested in leather or leather “look”.

I went to a local tack shop (one of the very few in my area) and tried on two types of Ariat. I was disappointed to find the Small Regular size were too TALL, Small Short were too tight and the Medium Regular were too wide for calf. Clearly Ariat is not my brand.

I currently am putzing around in a pair of these and after a year & 6 months are not only on their last leg, but also rather unattractive.

Secondly,

Favorite sub $50 breeches? Again, I school horses as a second job on weekends and also do substantial barn work during the week evenings after riding my own. My breeches are trashed SO quickly that spending ridiculous amounts of money on them makes me sick. I recently picked up a pair of Tuffrider’s for $29.99 and while they’re alright, I wasn’t impressed with the material. I like that tight but stretchy material, and these were more like a cotton-type blend.

Would like them to be “show okay” so a front zip with belt loops…

edit: I realize I linked to the children’s half chap…It’s the exact same thing but I obviously wear the adult size

I have been riding 4-5x a week in these Elite half chaps for almost 2 years and they are only slightly frayed at the very top edge on the inside (there’s some kind of fabric binding there, and it has slightly frayed). The leather is still in great condition, even the stretchy panel on the back/side.

http://www.tackroominc.com/elite-leather-half-chaps-p-6393.html

Hey someone on a budget like me!

I have been riding 4-6 days a week in my Ariat Concord half chaps for 4 years now!

The stretch panel is stretched out - but beyond that, they are in great shape. I haven’t worn through the leather at all - and the zipper (a big thick beefy one) is still perfect. I am actually considering replacing the stretch panel on them if the cobbler does not charge too much.

Dover has them listed at $109 - but they often have them on sale (check the coupons section). I bought mine (granted years ago now!) for $89.

I get compliments on them often - I like the back zip and spanish top - and the suede inside is nice and grippy (and cleans up with a wet rag). I kinda love these chaps!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat®-concord-half-chaps/p/X1-35049/

As for breeches - I like cotton ones for the most part. I usually get on course cotton natural pull ons - they usually run around $35. But if you do not like cottony - I have these Tuff Riders Ventilated Tights - the frabric has zero cotton, and is “firm” and stretchy. But they are very light weight - perfect for California - might work for you in FL!

[QUOTE=Appsolute;7850152]
Hey someone on a budget like me!

I have been riding 4-6 days a week in my Ariat Concord half chaps for 4 years now!

The stretch panel is stretched out - but beyond that, they are in great shape. I haven’t worn through the leather at all - and the zipper (a big thick beefy one) is still perfect. I am actually considering replacing the stretch panel on them if the cobbler does not charge too much.

Dover has them listed at $109 - but they often have them on sale (check the coupons section). I bought mine (granted years ago now!) for $89.

I get compliments on them often - I like the back zip and spanish top - and the suede inside is nice and grippy (and cleans up with a wet rag). I kinda love these chaps!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat®-concord-half-chaps/p/X1-35049/

As for breeches - I like cotton ones for the most part. I usually get on course cotton natural pull ons - they usually run around $35. But if you do not like cottony - I have these Tuff Riders Ventilated Tights - the frabric has zero cotton, and is “firm” and stretchy. But they are very light weight - perfect for California - might work for you in FL![/QUOTE]

I like the look of those half chaps!

Yes on a budget! I just bought a house, so as if owning a HORSE wasn’t stressful enough, owning a HOME adds to it, and while everyone else in the horse world is worried about what brand they’re wearing, all I care about is functionality, comfort, and a good deal!

I used to get scoffed at for wearing my IRH helmet in a barn full of charles owen and gpa. The damn helmet is 12 years old now and I’m just getting ready to say good bye to it (no longer snaps, is ripping, not to mention the damn thing is 12 years old)…I was told to try GPA or Charles Owen, neither of which fit my head shape. I like comfort and function NOT name brands :smiley:

Find the TuffRider ribbed ones - they’re not at all cottony and wear like iron!

I second the recommendation of the Elite half chaps. Those were mine before I switched over to tall boots 24/7.

For a more substantial breech, I love Royal Highness. You can find them on eBay or VTO for under $50 per pair.

I wear the Elite half chaps too! They last pretty long for me, and although would be too short for me to show in, I like how they fit for schooling. Well made.

I LOVE these half chaps:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-soft-leather-half-chap-11535p

They look nice, are super comfy, and are way less expensive than what I was originally going to buy. I bought them in the spring and ride 3-5 days a week. So far, so good.

Elite half chaps died on me after about 9 months. I have since had a pair of Tredsteps that only did slightly better.

Ariat Volant half chaps have worn like iron for me thus far.

I have had Tredstep half chaps for over 2 years (it might be 3 now?). Ride 5-6 times a week. In their earlier days I was riding multiple horses a day. Only just recently (last few months) have I only been riding one horse a day. When I first got them I was really good about cleaning them after every or every other ride.

[QUOTE=One Two Three;7850181]

I used to get scoffed at for wearing my IRH helmet in a barn full of charles owen and gpa. The damn helmet is 12 years old now and I’m just getting ready to say good bye to it (no longer snaps, is ripping, not to mention the damn thing is 12 years old)…I was told to try GPA or Charles Owen, neither of which fit my head shape. I like comfort and function NOT name brands :-D[/QUOTE]

Wear any brand of helmet that fits
BUT
please replace that helmet after 5 years of wearing - helmets can store longer under ideal conditions, but subjected to head sweat, hair products, UV, heat, cold, travelling about the country, don’t expect a 5 year well used helmet to not “age”.

Re the Ariat halfchaps (& boots), different models often fit differently, so don’t rule out Ariat as a company based upon a single model.

[QUOTE=ColeyC;7850320]
I LOVE these half chaps:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-soft-leather-half-chap-11535p

They look nice, are super comfy, and are way less expensive than what I was originally going to buy. I bought them in the spring and ride 3-5 days a week. So far, so good.[/QUOTE]

Definitely second these!

[QUOTE=alto;7850341]
Wear any brand of helmet that fits
BUT
please replace that helmet after 5 years of wearing - helmets can store longer under ideal conditions, but subjected to head sweat, hair products, UV, heat, cold, travelling about the country, don’t expect a 5 year well used helmet to not “age”.

Re the Ariat halfchaps (& boots), different models often fit differently, so don’t rule out Ariat as a company based upon a single model.[/QUOTE]

Ive been trying to find a helmet, I know mine is FAR past it’s useful life. I have a hard time in my area, all tack shops that stock helmets are 3-4 hour drives. I would order online, except my current helmet size isn’t marked and I can’t seem to figure it out.

Glad to get some good responses on breeches and chaps to look into!

Thanks everyone

Call these folks up & discuss, they should definitely be able to recommend models to try & possibly may even drop ship to you :yes:

[QUOTE=Nickelodian;7850322]

Ariat Volant half chaps have worn like iron for me thus far.[/QUOTE]

If you look hard - you can find these on sale for way under $100 as well.