Unlimited access >

Half Pad in Question....

My boy has become very back sensitive. We have been working with the vet (heat laser therapy), massage therapist, chiropractor, and ferrier (honestly, I think he had a better Mother’s Day than I did :D) all in an effort to help him relax, work out his sensitive spots and get him back to work. The issue started in his poll, cervical vertebrae and now has worked all the way down his back to his SI joint. I’m sure it is a case of one issue leading to the next, etc. Our current half pad has lost its lift (Circuit brand - was worth a try and now I’m over it.) I’m feeling like he needs a little more shock absorption and have found this pad:
Acavallo Sheepskin Massage Pad. I have only found it at Dover
http://www.doversaddlery.com/t/acavallo-sheepskin-massage-pad/p/X1-190003/#ProductTabs

It is EXPENSIVE but I’m willing to make it work if he likes it. Does anyone have any recommendations for this pad or know of another good pad for this type of situation?

Thanks much!

I have no experience with the above half pad. I use the Thinline integrated with the back on track saddle pad. Love.

http://www.backontrackproducts.com/Horse-Products/Horse-Saddle-Pads/Contender-II-Saddle-Pad-p313.html

As far as I know, Thinline is the only pad to have documented actual shock absorption. The Thinline pads are fairly thin, but you can get them with sheepskin for additional padding.

That pad sounds strange tome. I’d go with a thinline or a Mattes pad, or save the money for x-rays, mesotherapy, etc.

I have been doing some research on Thinline this morning and really like some of the thinks I am reading about them. I am leaning toward the sheepskin comfort pad.

[QUOTE=Dragonfly;7573439]
I have been doing some research on Thinline this morning and really like some of the thinks I am reading about them. I am leaning toward the sheepskin comfort pad.[/QUOTE]

Read the independent research that has been done re saddle pad materials, Dr Hilary Clayton is a good place to start - she has some summary articles, poster presentations available online, you can follow up & read the research papers/studies if you want more detail.

Note that the sheepskin needs to be placed directly against the horse’s back (that’s how the research was conducted) for most of the advertised benefits, so I expect washability (Thinline seems to have bogged down on this aspect … you might talk to their tech service in this regard).
Also much sheepskin is not created equal, so know what you’re getting in that regard.

Also look into what Ogilvy offers in their pads - some people find their horses do best with this sort of foam option; the newest Butet pad has also gotten some rave reviews … your health team may have some opinions (hopefully they’ve been following the research).
Unfortunately much of it comes back to what a specific horse may prefer, so hopefully you can find pad options to try … I believe Thinline & EcoGold still both offer Customer Satisfaction “warranties” but read the fine print etc.
When dealing with a specific (company) rep, I’ve often had offers of try this pad, if you don’t love it, just bring it back to me for full refund so if you have access to major shows & the accompanying show vendors, it may be worth your while.

I like thinline pads and also Supracor pads.

However, I don’t think the pad alone is going to solve your problem.

One thing I’ve found helpful for my horses is to use the Masterson Method of accupressure. I find his CDs to give very clear instruction and I like to work on my horses several times/week. I find that doing this on a regular basis helps me understand where they are tight and also keeps small things from building up.

The main thing to investigate about adding any kind of pad or half pad is whether the horse’s saddle will still fit. Any pad (aside from an ultra-thin baby pad) is probably going to change the fit.

You can ask a saddle fitter to fit the saddle with the pad in place; otherwise a saddle that fits the horse without a pad is probably going to be too narrow once you add the pad.

And a narrow saddle causes back problems.

[QUOTE=Bogie;7573501]
I like thinline pads and also Supracor pads.

However, I don’t think the pad alone is going to solve your problem.

One thing I’ve found helpful for my horses is to use the Masterson Method of accupressure. I find his CDs to give very clear instruction and I like to work on my horses several times/week. I find that doing this on a regular basis helps me understand where they are tight and also keeps small things from building up.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree with you on this.

I have both the Thinline Ultra (with sheepskin) and the Ogilvy half pads. Of the two, I prefer the Ogilvy based on how my own back feels (which was why I purchased it, as my horse’s back is fine, LOL.)

The Ogilvy is also a LOT easier to wash. Both are expensive, but worth it, IMO.

[QUOTE=Dragonfly;7573313]
My boy has become very back sensitive. We have been working with the vet (heat laser therapy), massage therapist, chiropractor, and ferrier (honestly, I think he had a better Mother’s Day than I did :D) all in an effort to help him relax, work out his sensitive spots and get him back to work. The issue started in his poll, cervical vertebrae and now has worked all the way down his back to his SI joint. I’m sure it is a case of one issue leading to the next, etc. Our current half pad has lost its lift (Circuit brand - was worth a try and now I’m over it.) I’m feeling like he needs a little more shock absorption and have found this pad:
Acavallo Sheepskin Massage Pad. I have only found it at Dover
http://www.doversaddlery.com/t/acavallo-sheepskin-massage-pad/p/X1-190003/#ProductTabs

It is EXPENSIVE but I’m willing to make it work if he likes it. Does anyone have any recommendations for this pad or know of another good pad for this type of situation?

Thanks much![/QUOTE]

Looks pretty but notice the top line is totally straight! Will this fit comfortably over the horses wither AND be smooth under the saddle.

Having been raised in the era when we didn’t use saddle blankets in any form I do wonder if the modern trend of putting additional layers under the saddle may be responsible for many of the sore backs.

A saddle is generally fitted with nothing under it, so why add extra padding, it only tightens the fit around the wither - after all if you buy a pair of shoes that fit you, they become uncomfortable if you try to wear them with a thick pair of socks!

Nothing you put under the saddle will reduce shock absorption to much degree. Rider needs to sit lighter to reduce impact.

An experiment all riders should do on a monthly schedule. Put saddle on horse with nothing under it. Ride in walk, trot and canter for around 15 minutes. Take saddle off and look for grease and friction marks on the underside of the saddle.

The most common friction point with deep seat saddles is in the channel immediately under the rider! This shows that when the horse is rounding up that his spinal processes are making contact with the saddle.

Recently I went to watch my young mare work with her new owner and was saddened to see that she was working with a very tight back. Eventually I got her new owner to try a different saddle, with no numnahs etc. the saddle fitted well and immediately the rider noticed a difference, the horse was striding out well. Then finally got her to put on the earlier saddle with nothing under it, rider only walked a small circle before getting off - the saddle just didn’t fit.

When you have layers of extras under the saddle you don’t get the right perception of fit.

Poor saddle fit = poor performance = moving in a strange way to compensate = joints becoming stressed from uneven use.

OP, the injuries you describe are quite common for a horse that has had a fall, especially a nosedive over a fence or a flip over in the paddock. They get up to so much trouble when out.

[QUOTE=Posting Trot;7573503]
The main thing to investigate about adding any kind of pad or half pad is whether the horse’s saddle will still fit. Any pad (aside from an ultra-thin baby pad) is probably going to change the fit.

You can ask a saddle fitter to fit the saddle with the pad in place; otherwise a saddle that fits the horse without a pad is probably going to be too narrow once you add the pad.

And a narrow saddle causes back problems.[/QUOTE]

I use a Thinline w/sheepskin half pad, but I knew I would be using this when I got my saddle, so the fitter definitely took the pad into consideration when fitting the saddle.

OP, the injuries you describe are quite common for a horse that has had a fall, especially a nosedive over a fence or a flip over in the paddock. They get up to so much trouble when out.

This DID happen about 6 weeks ago. Thought we had worked out of it… He also just had a Flu/Rhino booster last week (same day his problems really became noticeable) so we are not sure of a definitive mechanism. It really has turned into a chicken/egg-which came first scenario. Either way, chiro and massage therapist were out today and confirm that he is very tight and sensitive in the poll, neck, and shoulders so will continue with treatments, check saddle fit, and see how he comes along.

[QUOTE=Dragonfly;7573774]
This DID happen about 6 weeks ago. Thought we had worked out of it… He also just had a Flu/Rhino booster last week (same day his problems really became noticeable) so we are not sure of a definitive mechanism. It really has turned into a chicken/egg-which came first scenario. Either way, chiro and massage therapist were out today and confirm that he is very tight and sensitive in the poll, neck, and shoulders so will continue with treatments, check saddle fit, and see how he comes along.[/QUOTE]

Lets hope its a transient soreness as the result of his fall. Great that you have people onto it fast, so many people think their horse will be OK after a fall but they are big animals and heavy and they don’t just tumble they crash!

My first thought is why haven’t you found a saddle fitter the check the fit instead of trying to fix the problem with pads?

My first thought is why haven’t you found a saddle fitter the check the fit instead of trying to fix the problem with pads?

Saddle fit with current pad is fine - will, of course, be rechecking that with new pad. Thanks for asking…

OP, here’s a cheaper, experimental version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251527248345?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I’ll bet these pads are the same as the Grand Prix half pad. They darn tootin’ look identical to me.

I used to own one… sold it… and now I need it back. Sigh.

They are heavy. They are squishy without being bouncy. They tend to fit a little tight, so ask the seller for measurements if your saddle is larger than a 17.5 or so. I’m not sure about width and how well it will work with a modern dressage saddle that has big, splayed out panels at the back. But I don’t think it would fail in this respect.

The Grand Prix pad did act as a riser pad for me. It will change the balance of your saddle, IME. (Which is why I sold it…. which is why I need it back now!).

I can’t compare it side-by-side to a Thinline, but I can tell you that a thin line does a little less shock absorption than did my old Skito pad. That was closed-cell memory foam. Still, the Thinline is an impressively useful product. It will not change saddle fit at all and yet do some work to cushion you.

I have a couple of sheepskin pads. One is the Thin-line with the shimable inserts.
I like it, it has a good fit with a good gullet, but the quality of the sheepskin is nothing like my other pad which is thick and dense. I’ve not washed the Thin-line
because I’m not sure how it would wash, so I use it with a baby pad. I’ve washed other sheepskin pads just fine, but the Thin-line is really not nice and dense…it may just be that particular design and not a comment on all Thin-lines.

Keep a mind open to the thought of fractured withers–it’s pretty common for a horse to chip the top off the spinous processes over the wither area in an accident like that.

Can be a big deal, or not a big deal, depending on the severity of the breaks and where the chips end up.

I had one that was basically fine after a few months off. She was pretty sad and sore for about a month. My vet didn’t want to do surgery to hunt down the chips as we could actually see and feel where they ended up and it wasn’t in an area where the saddle hit, and there were no other complications, so why go digging around in a potentially dangerous spot so close to the spine. Some friends of mine had one that did end up having surgery as things didn’t heal right and it had a draining abscess form. He’s recovered also.

[QUOTE=Dragonfly;7573774]
This DID happen about 6 weeks ago. Thought we had worked out of it… He also just had a Flu/Rhino booster last week (same day his problems really became noticeable) so we are not sure of a definitive mechanism. It really has turned into a chicken/egg-which came first scenario. Either way, chiro and massage therapist were out today and confirm that he is very tight and sensitive in the poll, neck, and shoulders so will continue with treatments, check saddle fit, and see how he comes along.[/QUOTE]

I’m confused - you’re riding this horse :confused:
why not just turn out, work in hand, work on lunge (or long lines), until horse is no longer “very tight & sensitive” & reactive?

I realize this is veering away from half pad considerations, but am truly surprised that your vet & therapy team are wanting the horse worked under saddle.