Unlimited access >

Half Pad Instead?

Before I start, I just want to say that I’ve been a western rider for the past eight years. My horse is a bred and shown hunter horse, though, so she knows what she’s doing. I’m planning on showing my horse next year at my local riding club. They only do flat classes, and from what I’ve found go by hunter rules. I don’t have too much money to spend on new tack, but I’m also trying to figure out what tack I need. I have a black synthetic saddle, leather girth and brown headstall with reins and a loose ring bit that all fit her and, as far as I can find, are allowed in the hunter flat ring. The hardest thing for me to find is the saddle pad I’d need, but I saw somewhere (it might’ve been on here?) that we can use a half pad on its own, and was wondering if that’s actually allowed? I have a clean white half pad that I’ve used a few times, so if that’ll work then it’ll save me a bit of money. Also, are half chaps okay for hunter flat classes?

Local riding clubs are usually very flexible on rules but to really know you will need to ask them. A pad for hunters can be found for less than $20 so not like buying a western pad at all. Even cheaper used. Do get white for showing.

3 Likes

Since you didn’t mention it specifically, make sure you have a cavesson noseband on your headstall. They are required.
The white clean half pad is fine.
Full chaps are prohibited but half chaps should be okay.
Agreed that your show can directly answer these questions regarding how lenient they choose to be.
Rules here: https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/kW5W4HBsXe4/hu-hunter-division

3 Likes