Unlimited access >

Half pad only?

Hey guys, I’m wondering if it is seen as unacceptable to only use a half pad in the hunter ring. I’ve used this set up before at a schooling show but there is nothing in the USEF Rulebook that points towards this. The half pad I’m considering using is a thinline comfort pad with sheepskin. I have the shaped hunter pads but unfortunately my new saddle is too big for it. What should I do?

Some people show hunters in just a half paid at all levels. It seems to be more common in some areas than others, but I’ve seen it done all over the place.

I use the exact same set up. Thin line with sheep skin. We decided to do it because my gelding is tiny. 15.3hh on a good day. And he goes great and looks great in it

Yup. I saw it much more 10 years ago than now, but I do see it.

Yes I see that all the time at the rates shows where I live. It should be fine, but if you are at all hesitant you can always email the show director.

It used to be a trend to show only in a half pad. Now the trend has swung back towards saddle pads. So no, there are no rules against it.

I had a horse a couple of years ago who was built in such a way that my best set-up for him was a saddle with zero pads. So we showed in the AO Hunters with no saddle pad and no back pad and he won when he should have.