Unlimited access >

Half Pad Sizing? HELP!

I have several friends who think I should purchase a half pad for my new gelding. I want to get a shimmable half pad but I’m not sure which brand to look into? What do you guys use? Also what size should I get? I ride in a 17" Wintec Pro Dressage saddle but I’d like to be able to use it for my All Purpose saddle as well. I’ve been thinking ThinLine.

I prefer Mattes (shimmable, with fleece) and would recommend a “Dressage, Large”. If you are deciding on a Fleeceworks (make sure it has the spine channel relief), I would opt for the 18" large. It is better to be a smidgen too large than too small and create pressure points on a ridge.

Thank you! I’ve seen a few Mattes but they seem to sell before I can get my hands on them. Do you think I’d be able to use that for my All Purpose saddle as well?

What are you buying the half pad for? If it is to provide back protection the Matttes looks and feels great but all that wool just crushes down to not a whole bunch of anything. I love the mattes pads but I have found others that provide better back protection and fit nicely under a saddle. My preference is ThinLine.

I recently purchased the ThinLine Trifecta pad. I was using a Wintec Dressage saddle while waiting for my jumping saddle to be fit to my horse. The Wintec is a 17" and my jump saddle 17.5 The ThinLine size Large fits both of those saddles fine. I use it without shims currently. I purchased the one with just the sheepskin rolls. I didn’t want too much fluff or thickness to the pad, just some protection and possibly a little help for my geldings changing back as he builds muscle under the saddle.

I’ve owned both a Mattes pad and ThinLine before. I used the ThinLine way more and sold my old one to a friend to replace her Mattes pad. Maybe it comes to to preference. Why do you feel that you need a half pad?

I am not a thinline fan, having owned one. It made little difference to my horse if any and made his gaits feel even bouncier (several others have commented on this phenomenon)

I got an inexpensive Air Comfort Ride half pad and love it. Softens the bounce of gaits to me, makes horse more comfy/less cranky (he is cold backed). The one I have does not have a place for shims, not sure if they make a version for shims or why you need shims.

The Air comfort pad is a low end model of the new technologies of pads (more $ ones are Inviticus/similar). The higher $ ones usually have a shim model. Mattes look pretty but like others said over time the wool/sheepskin can compress also the thicker ones seem to put too much distance between saddle and horse.

[QUOTE=silverdog;8708202]
What are you buying the half pad for? If it is to provide back protection the Matttes looks and feels great but all that wool just crushes down to not a whole bunch of anything. I love the mattes pads but I have found others that provide better back protection and fit nicely under a saddle. My preference is ThinLine.[/QUOTE]

I just purchased a 5 year old warmblood that’s still developing and gaining muscle. My coach said while my saddle fits him, it’s a little too close on his spine for her liking so she said a half pad would definitely be the way to go. She also suggested purchasing one with shims because it will last me longer as his body changes and I can use it on the other horses as well.

Posted in another reply :slight_smile: But I do like them with just the sheepskin rolls!

Half pads seem to come in one size or else regular and large. Some half pads are universal, others specify jumper or dressage

I have the ThinLine Trifecta, with the sheepskin rolls:

https://www.thinlineglobal.com/shop/english-saddle-pads/trifecta-half-pad-with-sheepskin-rolls

The sheepskin rolls are really just trim, though they may help keep the saddle in place. They also make the Trifecta without the trim, too:

https://www.thinlineglobal.com/shop/english-saddle-pads/cotton-trifecta-correction-half-pad

I also have the ThinLine full sheepskin correction half pad, which I use with horses that are coming back from a layoff or are rehabbing. It accepts the shims, too.

https://www.thinlineglobal.com/shop/therapeutic-saddle-pads/full-sheepskin-fleece-correction-half-saddle-pad

I do like the ThinLine products very much.

I LOVE the mattes shimable pads with rolls. I have two. You can order them in custom colors from Poland at a great price if you are willing to wait six weeks.

Beware, the costom color options are addicting!
And will some one please explain to me how shipping to the U.S. Is $6.90? Onthoughtbit was a type-o but it’s not…

https://www.epshop.us/us/lambskin-pads/eurofit-square-pad/mattes-eurofit-pad#configure