Halos, neck braces, rehab.

With luck, the halo Ive had since the end of July for a C1, non nerve invasive fracture, may come off in a little over 3 weeks, to be replaced by a stiff brace that will stay on for quite some time. Obviously, Im a bit nervous about all of this. Any advice, thoughts, would be very appreciated.

No advice, but my thoughts are with you and yours as you continue to bravely soldier on through this healing process. I admire your bravery and sense of humor.

All I can offer is jingles, jingles, jingles! Can’t wait until you’re back in the tack Denny! You’re an inspiration!

Whilst I’m all for bucking the system, I think this is one where I would do as I was told, to the letter, by your doctors, if I were you. The consequences of cheating are a bit too radical…

A small piece of advice, though, having been pretty much incapacitated by injury and surgery and recovery in the past, is to realize that the energy out is being sufficiently reduced that the energy in needs to be too. I really wish I hadn’t put on the weight I did at that time. It’s been the biggest struggle to get rid of.

Oh, and when indicated, find a physio who understands that you will be riding again and that you need to get back in shape for that activity! I discovered that one of the therapists at the clinic was a H/J rider…while not my discipline, she “got it.” She was a huge help.

Best wishes for a rapid and uneventful recovery.

I had a stable fracture of C-5 several years ago and was in a hard cervical collar for 8 weeks. No halo, thankfully.

Do what the doctors tell you to, and be faithful and vigilant with with physical therapy. If anything feels wrong or weird, STOP, and make SURE you tell your doctor or therapist what you feel. This isn’t a knee, where you’re going to have some pain to push through.

I was back on the horse and competing about 10 weeks after the fracture, and it was probably too soon. (But I was stubborn, and a stupid teenager.) When you start back riding, take it easy. Build up to it, listen to your body, and take care of yourself. One day at a time, one horse at a time.

I would say don’t try to do too much too soon. Your neck is probably going to feel VERY wobbly up there when that halo comes off. :slight_smile: I would also make sure the PT and/or OT you work with understand your goals and what you need to do so that they can develop a program that works for you. Not sure what collar they will put you in, but I know lots of us in the Ehlers Danlos community have C1/C2 craniocervical instability issues (myself included it seems - waiting for official word from neurosurgeon on my films) and the brace of choice is the Aspen Vista. Maybe that’s just what the 3 docs who know what to do with us put us in, but I know when my neck is hurting mine is comfy. Anyway, good luck with the next step and be smart about when to push on to a new challenge and when to let your body take a break. Sending jingles your way.

Thanks for all the input. I`m in no hurry, and want to do this right.

Not much info for you but to please be careful, go easy and expect fatigue.

I’m so glad you weren’t hurt worse.

I didn’t know you posted here. Hail, great one ! Truly.

Try contacting Meagan @ tiaraequine@gmail.com. Her story about her eventing accident/recovery was documented by her in several magazines. She had to undergo the Halo route + long-term recovery.

She probably has some great advice/suggestions/thoughts on her own recovery.

Thanks. I have an appointment today, and hopefully will be able to switch from the halo to the stiff neck brace. One step at a time, I guess.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285933&highlight=neck

She’s a teacher, an eventer, a runner and the luckiest woman I know.