Unlimited access >

Hand-Made Oglivy Half Pad

I’m looking for a half pad to keep sweat off of my saddle at a reasonable price. After a lot of research I came across something on Etsy. It was an Oglivy knock-off someone made themselves! They were charging 70 dollars, which was more then I was willing to spend, but it gave me an idea . . . I can sew, why not make my own?

I found all of the supplies easily online, but there’s one problem: I don’t want to alter the fit of my already well fitting saddle. Really this is just for sweat, although at the same time I do jump and a little extra protection for me and my horse would be great. But I don’t want it to be so thick it changes my saddle fit.

I wouldn’t have to do 1 1/4" thick foam like the Oglivy’s are, maybe only 1/4" would be better? What do you think? What is a good thickness to keep me, my horse and my saddle comfortable and happy? Thanks in advance!

If you don’t want to alter the thickness of your saddle, don’t put anything thick under it. This would probably do the trick for about $20.

http://www.victorycanter.com/Nunn-Finer-No-Slip-Pad-NF71.html?gclid=COmHveKxl8cCFUQSHwodclMFtw

If you really felt like it you could cut it into a contour shape and make it a fabric cover.

How much is this horse sweating anyway? So much that it’s going through a normal saddle pad and sweating enough on your saddle to concern you? Leather saddles can handle normal sweat. Just periodically clean the saddle properly and wipe it down after every ride.

Foam is not very breathable, so it would not be my first choice for something to help with sweating.

[QUOTE=akhunterrider;8262973]
Foam is not very breathable, so it would not be my first choice for something to help with sweating.[/QUOTE]

For reasons that elude me, OP wants to put some sort of waterproof barrier between her saddle and the horse. Which will of course make the horse sweat underneath it. But that’s what she wants (this is her second thread addressing this issue).

[QUOTE=vxf111;8262978]
For reasons that elude me, OP wants to put some sort of waterproof barrier between her saddle and the horse. Which will of course make the horse sweat underneath it. But that’s what she wants (this is her second thread addressing this issue).[/QUOTE]

That makes absolutely no sense to me, but to each his own.

Foam will alter the fit of your saddle, so if you are not wanting to do that, foam would not be my suggestion for that either.

[QUOTE=vxf111;8262978]
For reasons that elude me, OP wants to put some sort of waterproof barrier between her saddle and the horse. Which will of course make the horse sweat underneath it. But that’s what she wants (this is her second thread addressing this issue).[/QUOTE]

I don’t see why wanting to keep sweat off of an expensive saddle is such a hard concept to understand.

But thanks everyone else for your thoughts. Just so you know, I would be making it with breathable natural foam, not memory foam like Oglivy’s are made out of.

Saddles are made to be used on horses. They can get sweat on them. Really!

[QUOTE=vxf111;8263466]
Saddles are made to be used on horses. They can get sweat on them. Really![/QUOTE

My saddle gets my butt and thigh sweat on it as well as my horses back sweat underneath and it’s just fine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: