Hanhart Syndrome - Looking for ideas to help a student.

Greetings.

I have a new student who has Hanhart Syndrome. She has had some previous riding experience, but it has not been consistent. She is a walk/trot student who has not yet learned to post, but is quiet and stable during sitting trot on my uber-comfy, semi-gaited gelding.

For those unfamiliar, Hanhart Syndrome (in her case) involves small hands, incompletely developed fingers, some are short, some have missing or no bones, only tendons so they’re “rubbery” and flexible and no feet to speak of. She wears prosthetics on her “ankles” to mimic a foot.

I am looking for advice, ideas, etc. on ways to help her riding. Ideas from people who may have incompletely formed hands or feet as to things that make it easier to keep your foot in the stirrup, keeping her prosthetics stable,things that may help holding reins, etc.

One of the things that happened in her first lesson was her prosthetic on one foot turned inward so her foot was literally pointing in towards the horse’s elbow at a 45 degree angle. Of course she had no idea this was happening. We straightened it out, but it kept twisting in.

Any ideas or suggestions, gadgets, etc. to help make things easier or helping to accommodate her issues would be greatly appreciated.

I worked at a therapeutic riding barn for a few years. And one of the most common pieces of tack we used for people with missing hands/fingers was rubber reins. It provides extra grip without requiring shorter reins or tying knots in anything.
We often had individuals with missing lower limbs ride in dressage saddles or aussie type saddles without their leg prosthetics attached, to learn more balance and grip. Especially at this point if she’s not posting, it can be like “stirrup-free” exercises. It can help build up better leg muscles and help learn control. Then down the road, when the prosthetics are added back, she may have an easier time manipulating/controlling her legs.

1 Like

Would western stirrups with the cover help? (I forget what they are called) You could then tie the stirrup to the saddle to further keep it turned the correct way. The covered stirrups also help reduce the risk of the foot slipping through the stirrup in the event of an incident.

1 Like

Thank you. I already have the rainbow rubber reins which she seemed to be able to hold well enough.

She is in a deep seat all purpose saddle with knee rolls now, too.

Her prosthetics are only for her feet. She has full length legs to the end of her Tib/Fib (She is as tall as I am). Her prosthetic is only for the tarsal area of her feet so I’m not sure how riding without them would help her.

I do have a pair of cheapie western stirrups but will have to see if I can find a toe cup for them. She did mention she would be getting new prosthetics soon so they may fit better and not twist on her.

I would highly suggest reaching out to US Paraequestrian Association ( http://uspea.org/). I do not know of anyone in your area (if your location is correct) but my recommendation is to maybe connect with an OT or PT that has riding experience or/or a rider with similiar needs that can help with as needed modifications to tack. There are also PTs that are classifier for paradressage and could be a good resource if she ever wanted classification, plus provide with strategies.

Just from your description I would suggest exploring loop reins. Some people prefer to ride with their prosthetics while others do not and modifications can be made based on what she finds more comfortable. Many riders ride without them, even with such a low level of below knee involvement as it provide better stability, does not put undue stress on the remaining limbs, and also does not cause any type of damage to the prosthetics (maybe one day they can create ones that would work for riding but I have not been in this world for the past few years to see what is up and coming). Might be worth trying without stirrups and with or without her prosthetics. There are also options of also using large bands to tie her “feet” to the stirrups, many riders do this with other neurological disorders but this makes me a little nervous as the physics is a bit different with a prosthesis compared to someone with limited motor abilities in their legs.

might her foot prosthetic be more stable if she wore a field boot? she may have to work with her prosthetic tech to see about an adaptation that can keep the orientation locked.