Unlimited access >

Hanoverian NA Mare inspection - a chronicle of events

Sorry I tried answer you last night but for some reason I cannot post from my tablet at home

Anyway, here’s a couple of videos
This one is from an MPT
AHS MPT 2013

This one is just an inspection, not MPT but you can see what the whip does (usually the professional handler and whip are a team and the whip person knows when to push, when to back off etc to make your mare look her best)- I think I actually am in a cameo in this one haha

Mare inspection

For what to wear- in hand: basic khakis and farm polo (or similar look), under saddle- show clothes but not blingy, the ones I always worked were always in gawd awful temps in July/ Aug so a lot of people rode without jackets

There’s a bunch more videos on here Video By Patrick

2 Likes

I’m LOLing a little at the bag - if someone does that with Shayney, she’s going to drag the hander straight to the bag and demand snacks IMMEDIATELY.

Thank you so much for the resources, I appreciate it!

1 Like

Ok, now I’m confused…

The Hanoverian website said the jumping chute is an X, followed by a vertical, followed by an oxer.

The article they link to says that it’s an X, followed by a small oxer, followed by a large oxer.

The videos that @tabula_rashah pointed me at all show it as X - oxer - oxer.

I think I’m going to email the host farm and ask her what their set up will be.

1 Like

Think nice schooling show. Black breeches/white polo or sweater, White breeches with black/navy polo or sweater, etc.

1 Like

Here’s a snipped free jump practice. She was running to me to get snacks after each run. When she knocked a rail I didn’t say anything (good girl, etc) and she didn’t get a snack.

Note the time she bounces the first to the second. Stinker.

All in all, she’s game and seems to enjoy it. I’m working on increasing the spread of the last one.

5 Likes

Try the last fence with a ground pole rolled out in front a bit to get her to rock back and lift her front end more. She’s eager!!

2 Likes

On the very last one, I had put a spacing pole between 2 and 3 to get her to a better spot. A ground rail is a good idea too, I’ll try that on my next “Free Jump Friday.”

1 Like

There’s too much time between any fence, and getting a snack, for her to associate hitting a rail, or not, and getting a treat.

Definitely use ground poles to “force” her to the proper takeoff points. You want to do everything you can to encourage her best form, and hanging her knees isn’t good form at all

4 Likes

She litererally would run to me for the snack immediately after the end of the chute (i have to put my hand up to slow her down before she pile drives me in snack excitement), so it would be close on the timeframe/association. But it’s definitely possible!

I’ll try the ground rail as well, there was already a placing pole out. I had a placing pole between 1 and 2 to make her stay back, but removed it to see if she would figure it out.

What was I thinking. See: Dory.

So I put one back between 2&3, but didn’t do the ground rail.

She gets more and more excited as we progress through the session, and is very eager to do the job. Too eager. :slight_smile:

Color me stupid - which jump do you see hanging knees? I see loose lower legs, and a knee that could be higher, but I wouldn’t say she hung them. Maybe I don’t know what I’m looking at?

I’m not saying she has good form at all. Don’t get me wrong, she’s not my special angel sent from the heavens. I’m trying to see what you see.

1 Like

It appears to me that in each of the 2 setup fences, she’s hanging, because she’s getting in close, not rocking back, and jumping over her front end. The final fence she’s barely getting her forearms parallel, even not quite. I think you will see good improvement once you get ground poles to set her up for better takeoff spots and encourage her to sit back and lift up and over, not just launch herself forward and over, if that makes sense.

7 Likes

What I’m seeing is that she doesn’t rotate her shoulder and lift up into her withers.

She needs a tight gymnastic to make her use herself more.

2 Likes

V rails on the jump might help both to back her off and to sharpen up the front end. She seems keen enough that they’re not likely to back her off from the base of the jump TOO much.

5 Likes

Would a different angle show it better? The pivo can’t track fast enough for this, that I’ve found.

This Friday is our next session.

I was thinking the same, a tight v to encourage her to snap up. I’ve put v’s on low stuff before, so it won’t be totally new to her.

1 Like

Try a take off ground rail with a ramped front oxer with a 9 ft landing rail to get her to jump up into her shoulder. Keep recording but from the side so you can analyze if her form changes.

4 Likes

I was also laughing at the bag, but for far different reasons! My mare would lose her sh**, I think. And it’s not AT ALL what I pictured “the whip” doing,

Following along with your adventure and this thread with great interest and glee as a mare devotee. I wish you the best of luck!

Someday I hope to have a young one whose conformation and talent lends itself to these things…

1 Like

I agree. I’d ditch the vertical rails to sharpen up the front end.

I also think she could benefit from cavaletti on a lunge to develop the push in her gaits for inspection.

@Warmblood1 we do at least one set of cavaletti on the lunge per week. Every ride has some kind of ground poles or cavaletti.

Here are some photos of cavaletti in tonight’s ride.

4 Likes

She looks great. Honestly, I’d bump up the cavaletti poles to 2-3x a week and jump maybe once a week (not sure how much you are jumping). She has good hock action and I think you could develop that for more push through her gaits which would be ideal for inspection. Love this thread, by the way. Looking forward to how she does.

1 Like