Unlimited access >

Hanoverian NA Mare inspection - a chronicle of events

Caveletti on the lunge 2-3 times a week? We have them out nearly every ride (only when I’m super super short on time is nothing in the arena), and once a week on the lunge. For the lunge, I make a row of trot poles, and a row of canter poles. Just by taking a step or two lets me alternate - allows for a really good fitness workout as well as teaching push.

And yes, jumping is really only once a week. If the BO has something set out I might pop over it a couple times to mix it up, but not what I would call a “jump set”

How far apart are your poles? IMHO she looks like she’s diving over them in an effort to meet what looks like a pretty big distance

Do you do any canter work through cavaletti?

In general, she seems to need more work being asked to rock back and get more UP in her push from behind, rather than just a straight forward push.

For the jump chute I might be making the final oxer with a taller back rail, rather than wider, and potentially even a pole in the middle as a “bounce” between the 2nd and 3rd jumps.

5 Likes

I’m not entirely sure. Probably somewhere near 4 - 4.5’. She actually goes over them rather effortlessly. I’ve spread them wider on her before, her ability to stretch her stride is rather incredible. Would you elevate the poles to try and encourage sit?

Yes. On the opposite side of the arena from the trot cavaletti was a 3 pole bounce, raised cavaletti, intentionally set a titch close to encourage her to sit back and not launch.

You can see in the video that the back rail is quite a bit taller than the front, it was a rather steep ascending. For the last go through, there is a pole between 2 and 3 as you suggest. I don’t know if it applies or what, but Wofford is big on opening a spread to encourage a horse to use their body better.

I’ll mess around with some of the ideas here on “Free Jump Friday” and see what works to back her off a little (edit, back her off to encourage better form, instead of launching) without discouraging her too much.

I love that you are chronicling this. I can’t wait to see results and I really like your mare.

4 Likes

Same!

May I make one (very petty) suggestion? Have you considered banging her tail? Not super short, but just squaring off the end is really flattering on those TB tails that get wispy as they grow out. I do it with all of mine, and I feel like it instantly gives them more of WB look. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Teaching lengthening this way is great! The fact that it’s so easy for her is good. It, and the jumping “issues”, just points to her need to work less on that, and more on rocking back and getting more Upness in her stride.

Perfect! More of that :slight_smile:

Ah, good, I couldn’t tell. I think the previous suggestions then of using a ground pole to force a better takeoff spot will help.

Opening a spread definitely has its place, it helps horses learn to jump forward, as opposed to just jumping up, and it encourages them to land more forward, not just in a heap (as does a landing pole to “jump” over as soon as the first stride after landing.

Here’s a nice article with a couple of exercises to help the front end

1 Like

Oh heck yes I will! I’m waiting till the last minute so there’s less breakage. I would also consider a fake if I was confident in its installation. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good call! They’re not too hard to tie in. I had a TB mare who was presented and approved Oldenburg last fall, and I figure it’s at least worth doing all you can to make sure they look the part. :grin:

1 Like

Here’s a picture of her with a small fake in from her first show a couple years back - it was one of those “open” shows with a little of everything. I met up with a friend who shows western, and he told me he would not be seen with me if she didn’t wear it lol. I bet he’d let me borrow it!

2 Likes

Definitely no fake tail for a WB inspection :slight_smile: Banging is the best option

2 Likes

But it looks so prettyyyyyy

:rofl:

2 Likes

LOL! I actually really dislike fake tails because they really change how the tail falls and moves. Yes, just hanging there relaxed, as a fully natural tail would hang there, relaxed, it looks lovely. But it’s just different enough that you can almost always tell, and it looks just a little (or a lot, depending), “wrong”

5 Likes

You mean like when it’s stuck up inbetween their hind legs? That drives me BONKERS. I made my western friend tie it high so it wouldn’t do that.

Cavaletti on the lunge or under saddle is fine. Varying the width and height of the cavaletti would be beneficial, though I’d start with various widths. I believe it’s DeKnuffy that says speed is the killer of collection. Slow trot sets over poles closer together will encourage more push. You could have an even number (develops both sides equally) on a circular path and work on both directions on a circle versus just straight lines. You can make the poles closer towards the center of the circle and wider towards the outside of the circle and work her through various widths, adjusting the stride. I’d do the same for the canter, though if needed, you can place canter poles on a straight path to decrease difficulty. A circle will also help develop her outside leg. Greater impulsion comes from increased muscular ability and if she is throwing herself through a movement instead of sitting back, that impulsion won’t develop.

1 Like

Really? My mare wore one and it looked fine.

I would definitely not put in a fake tail. Movement and swing through the back will be evaluated and that is much more important. Tail thickness isn’t evaluated though I understand it looks nice.

5 Likes

Her thin tail is genetic. It is much improved from when I got her, but her sire also has a meh looking tail so I don’t expect heroics. :slight_smile:

… the fake did look really nice though… lol

Some mares present with their tails chewed off by foals. Lol, it doesn’t matter. They aren’t judging tail thickness but they most certainly would notice a tail’s movement potentially being impeded by a fake tail. They want to see suppleness and swing through the back and the tail can be a good indicator of that.

7 Likes

LOL! I’ve seen regular tails do that! But no, I mean the weight of a fake tail makes the tail itself hang heavy, and it looks “wrong” when they move out, as the tail bone doesn’t lift as high as it normally does. There’s just a whole different look to it, though it’s more subtle if you’re just filling in a little fluff as opposed to tying in basically a whole 'nother tail.

They don’t swing as well, they don’t “tail” like they should, and like Warmblood1 said, how a tail moves gives insight into what the body is doing. Though for sure, good inspectors don’t need a big lush tail to tell them how a horse is moving, but a quiet tail makes them go hmmm…

4 Likes

Well… her tail is pretty quiet. I have actually laughed about it before, that’s its more active when I’m grooming than when I’m riding. It’s just who she is, a good little worker bee.

It could also be that she can’t eat and walk. I proved it a couple days ago.

Dory.

:slight_smile:

1 Like